Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Orthotic Questions

Posted by Joe W on 1/01/01 at 18:56 (035773)

Okay,
I'm following your advice, and have not run in about a month, icing several times a day and stretching. The heel pain is still not resolving, although some days are better than others. Now the right heel is starting to hurt. (The pain was/is in the left heel).
I was talking to several co workers who have the same problem. They guys told me that after they got their orthotics, after 3 to 4 weeks the pain was gone. One guy showed me his orthotics, and his are somewhat flexible, full length, made to go into running shoes, or shoes with flexible soles. His second pair are rigid, half foot, for dress shoes. He told me that I was running with the wrong ones, and may have done more harm, I have the rigid type.
I called my POD, just to make sure. I was told that I had the right ones, that mine are semi rigid, and would be suitable for a college track runner. Although I'm not a collegiate track runner I was a triathlete/adventure racer until this problem.
Does anyone know which is right? I'd like to get a second opinon, but there are only two POD's in my area covered by my insurance.
Should I wear the orthotics with my stock running shoe inserts(I'm not running now, but I hope soon)? Being only half length, I get no cushion in my toes without the stock ones.

Thanks for any help,
Joe

Re: Orthotic Questions......talk to Richard, he's the orthotic expert!

Kate on 1/08/01 at 08:09 (036129)

Joe,
The questions you have are very important, and should be addressed. Please contact Richard on these boards for some great orthotic education.
Also, is your diagnosis only PF? Have you had an MRI or and EMG?

Kate Jurman
ESWT Coordinator

Kay S on 1/10/01 at 09:41 (036303)

Krafty Kate, I call her. She talks nice to your FACE (well, sort of, in a virtual kind of way). But you should see what she wrote in her personal email about you. Can't be repeated here in front of all our friends. You can beat me, you can torture me, you can do anything to try to get it out of me, but I will never tell.
If you make me bad orthotics, I will tell.
Kay

Kate on 1/08/01 at 08:09 (036129)

Joe,
The questions you have are very important, and should be addressed. Please contact Richard on these boards for some great orthotic education.
Also, is your diagnosis only PF? Have you had an MRI or and EMG?

Kate Jurman
ESWT Coordinator

Kay S on 1/10/01 at 09:41 (036303)

Krafty Kate, I call her. She talks nice to your FACE (well, sort of, in a virtual kind of way). But you should see what she wrote in her personal email about you. Can't be repeated here in front of all our friends. You can beat me, you can torture me, you can do anything to try to get it out of me, but I will never tell.
If you make me bad orthotics, I will tell.
Kay