Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Orthotics

Posted by Joe W on 1/01/01 at 19:11 (035775)

HELP!!
I've followered your instructions, have not run in nearly a month, icing several times a day, stretching etc. The pain is still there. Some days are better that others.
I was talking to several co workers who suffered from PF. They told me that their pain went away after getting orthotics. We compared orthotics, and I was told that I was running in the wrong ones. They had a semiflexible pair, full foot design for shoes with flexible soles. They then had a second pair, half foot design, semi rigid, for dress shoes, like mine.
Concerned, I called my POD (who I have not talked to since my shot...Ouch). He assured me that I had the correct ones for running, in fact he said that mine would be appropriate for collegiate track runners. I do not run track, but was a triathlete and adventure racer before my problem.
Who is right? I'd like to get a second opinion.
Should I wear the orthotics in my running shoes with my shoe insert in? Would this be too much correction?
I'm just wondering why the pain has not gone away yet, after nearly a year.
I hope to compete this year, if the pain goes away.

Thanks in advance, Joe

Re: Orthotics

mrbob2 on 1/02/01 at 08:09 (035789)

Joe, When i got orthotics my pain did not go away/ In fact it got worst. I was told by my POD that i was one of the 3% that they do not work for. I have full rigid kind i wear them in every thing. I had ESWT last week because i had pain all the time. I am all my feet a lot and i run. I will not be running now for another 6 to 8 weeks until this thing heals.i have not run since Sept thinking it was going to get better. Everybody is different so they may be the cure for you or not. I will have to wear them now so i do not get PF again.
Good Luck

Re: Orthotics

mrbob2 on 1/02/01 at 08:09 (035789)

Joe, When i got orthotics my pain did not go away/ In fact it got worst. I was told by my POD that i was one of the 3% that they do not work for. I have full rigid kind i wear them in every thing. I had ESWT last week because i had pain all the time. I am all my feet a lot and i run. I will not be running now for another 6 to 8 weeks until this thing heals.i have not run since Sept thinking it was going to get better. Everybody is different so they may be the cure for you or not. I will have to wear them now so i do not get PF again.
Good Luck