Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Dupuytrens

Posted by Jennifer B on 1/01/01 at 23:14 (035785)

My grandfather suffers from dupuytrens in his feet. This is the cause of severe pain. Can the Ossatron be used in such a case. What are the surgical and non-surgical options?

Re: Dupuytrens

Dr. Biehler on 1/02/01 at 07:42 (035787)

This is a contracture of a tendon and sometimes it is linked to diabeaties. I have not herd of ESWT being used for this condition as the tendon is not torn and the pain is not at its insertion or origination. Dr. B.

Re: Dupuytrens , Plantar fibromatosis & ESWT

Helene M on 1/02/01 at 23:04 (035829)

Dr. Biehler, are you sure about that? I'd like to mention that Roelinde posted in 8/99 that her mother's plantar fibromatosis (which I think is the counterpart to Dupuytrens in the hands) was being sucessfully treated with ESWT (ReflecTron) in the Netherlands. She had the whole foot treated, heel to toes. In 2/2000, she posted that after 5 ESWT treatments, her mother was almost completely cured. I've suffered for many years with 'atypical PF' & at times (such as now), can barely walk at all. My new Dr. suspects I have Dupuytrens/fibromatosis
in both hands & feet. He is sending me for an MRI of the feet to hopefully rule it out. Has anyone else heard of ESWT being used for fibromatosis? That would give me hope in case I am diagnosed with this. The alternative of removing the entire plantar fascial band is frightening.

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/03/01 at 06:31 (035836)

I know and remember this posting. There is a new book out on Shockwave therapy. It is was written by members of ISMST. I will take a look again but I do remember that there a very limited study done on ESWT for duputytren and the results were poor and the conclusion was that it doesn't work.

I will take a look again to see just how many were done etc. But I do rememer the results were poor.

Re: Dupuytrens

Dr. Biehler on 1/02/01 at 07:42 (035787)

This is a contracture of a tendon and sometimes it is linked to diabeaties. I have not herd of ESWT being used for this condition as the tendon is not torn and the pain is not at its insertion or origination. Dr. B.

Helene M on 1/02/01 at 23:04 (035829)

Dr. Biehler, are you sure about that? I'd like to mention that Roelinde posted in 8/99 that her mother's plantar fibromatosis (which I think is the counterpart to Dupuytrens in the hands) was being sucessfully treated with ESWT (ReflecTron) in the Netherlands. She had the whole foot treated, heel to toes. In 2/2000, she posted that after 5 ESWT treatments, her mother was almost completely cured. I've suffered for many years with 'atypical PF' & at times (such as now), can barely walk at all. My new Dr. suspects I have Dupuytrens/fibromatosis
in both hands & feet. He is sending me for an MRI of the feet to hopefully rule it out. Has anyone else heard of ESWT being used for fibromatosis? That would give me hope in case I am diagnosed with this. The alternative of removing the entire plantar fascial band is frightening.

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/03/01 at 06:31 (035836)

I know and remember this posting. There is a new book out on Shockwave therapy. It is was written by members of ISMST. I will take a look again but I do remember that there a very limited study done on ESWT for duputytren and the results were poor and the conclusion was that it doesn't work.

I will take a look again to see just how many were done etc. But I do rememer the results were poor.