Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

orthotic question

Posted by Joe W on 1/02/01 at 07:31 (035786)

I was talking to several co workers who suffer from PF. Their problem went away shortly after(3 weeks) they received the orthotics. Both of them had two sets, one was semi soft, full foot design, for flexible soled shoes, that they run in. The other is rigid, half foot for hard soled shoes (dress shoes).
I was given the semi rigid ones, half foot design in September/October. The pain has still not resolved. In fact it seems to have moved to other parts of my foot.
I asked my POD, he advised that I had the correct ones. In fact mine would be appropriate for collegiate track runners. Although I'm not a collegiate runner, I am a amatuer triathlete and adventure racer, and would like to race again. (I've stopped running for now)
Who is right? Can I/should I wear the orthotics with the orginal running shoe insert? With the half foot orthotic, I get no cushion in the toes.

Any ideas? Thanks

Re: orthotic question

Richard, C.Ped on 1/03/01 at 11:07 (035849)

Hey Joe (where you going with that gun in your hand?--Jimi Hendrix),
Sorry about that. It was the first thing that came to my mind.

I am guessing that you have been diagnosed with PF, right? What material was used to make your inserts? Rubber or hard plastic? I do not use hard plastic at all.

I choose the material (rigid or semi rigid) based on the severity of the patient's complaint about pain. If someone has an extremely tender foot, I will go softer until he/she becomes used to the support. If they are not tender and the patient is very active, such as you, I will lean towards a more dense material.

I only make 3/4 orthotics if necessary. This means if the patient has a shallow toe box, any extra material may push the toes up in the toe box. This is very uncomfortable. I like wearing full length because there is that extra cushion for the toes. Most of my material will fit into a shoe with a shallow toe box.

I have never heard of using a separate orthosis for dress shoes -vs- athletic shoes.

Where has the pain moved in your foot?

Richard, C.Ped

Joe W on 1/03/01 at 20:41 (035882)

Richard,
Thanks for getting back to me. I dont know why I have the 3/4 length, unless it was because my POD knew that I would wear them in a variety of shoes, (dress;hiking;running etc).
I'm not sure what they are made of. I'm looking at them right now, and it says Solo, Heel Spur Orthotic. I think its hard plastic, with rubber inside and under the heel. It's rigid. My pain was not debilitating. I was, and still am able to work. It just hurts like hell in the AM, and after I run.
Do I wear it with the shoe insert or take the shoe insert out?
I have been wearing it with the shoe inserts because of the cushion in the toes.
You had asked where the pain had moved, I still have point tenderness at the medial aspect of the heel, but when I wake up, it hurts on the lateral side, and around the base of the heel.
What do ya think? Am I FUBAR? I'm lucky, from what I've read, I do not have it nearly as bad as other people.

Let me know what you think. Joe

Nancy N on 1/04/01 at 09:36 (035906)

Joe--

Does your orthotic look like the one at http://sololabs.com/hso.html ? My most recent orthotics were made by Solo labs and they are hard as rocks. Mine are the 'Pump' variety, though, so they might vary a bit, but I get the feeling that most of their stuff is pretty hard. The Pumps have some extra cushioning in the heel, but that didn't help a whole lot. They are nice in that they are a slim design that fits in the shoes pretty well. I don't think Solo makes anything that's full-length, from what I see on their website.

I don't know if this helps or not. I imagine their inserts help a lot of people, but apparently not you or me, which is a shame, considering how much they cost.

Richard. C.Ped on 1/05/01 at 07:58 (035950)

With the 3/4, you might be able to wear them either with or without the current insole. It all depends on your comfort. If the orthosis does not seem to be doing the job, you might want to consider going back to your doctor to let him/her know.

Richard

Joe W on 1/05/01 at 17:26 (035990)

Thanks Richard,
I at least have more confidence in my DOC. I have not seen him in several month since my shot (1st and only), I'll make another appointment.
Advise me if you can think of anything else.

Joe

Richard, C.Ped on 1/03/01 at 11:07 (035849)

Hey Joe (where you going with that gun in your hand?--Jimi Hendrix),
Sorry about that. It was the first thing that came to my mind.

I am guessing that you have been diagnosed with PF, right? What material was used to make your inserts? Rubber or hard plastic? I do not use hard plastic at all.

I choose the material (rigid or semi rigid) based on the severity of the patient's complaint about pain. If someone has an extremely tender foot, I will go softer until he/she becomes used to the support. If they are not tender and the patient is very active, such as you, I will lean towards a more dense material.

I only make 3/4 orthotics if necessary. This means if the patient has a shallow toe box, any extra material may push the toes up in the toe box. This is very uncomfortable. I like wearing full length because there is that extra cushion for the toes. Most of my material will fit into a shoe with a shallow toe box.

I have never heard of using a separate orthosis for dress shoes -vs- athletic shoes.

Where has the pain moved in your foot?

Richard, C.Ped

Joe W on 1/03/01 at 20:41 (035882)

Richard,
Thanks for getting back to me. I dont know why I have the 3/4 length, unless it was because my POD knew that I would wear them in a variety of shoes, (dress;hiking;running etc).
I'm not sure what they are made of. I'm looking at them right now, and it says Solo, Heel Spur Orthotic. I think its hard plastic, with rubber inside and under the heel. It's rigid. My pain was not debilitating. I was, and still am able to work. It just hurts like hell in the AM, and after I run.
Do I wear it with the shoe insert or take the shoe insert out?
I have been wearing it with the shoe inserts because of the cushion in the toes.
You had asked where the pain had moved, I still have point tenderness at the medial aspect of the heel, but when I wake up, it hurts on the lateral side, and around the base of the heel.
What do ya think? Am I FUBAR? I'm lucky, from what I've read, I do not have it nearly as bad as other people.

Let me know what you think. Joe

Nancy N on 1/04/01 at 09:36 (035906)

Joe--

Does your orthotic look like the one at http://sololabs.com/hso.html ? My most recent orthotics were made by Solo labs and they are hard as rocks. Mine are the 'Pump' variety, though, so they might vary a bit, but I get the feeling that most of their stuff is pretty hard. The Pumps have some extra cushioning in the heel, but that didn't help a whole lot. They are nice in that they are a slim design that fits in the shoes pretty well. I don't think Solo makes anything that's full-length, from what I see on their website.

I don't know if this helps or not. I imagine their inserts help a lot of people, but apparently not you or me, which is a shame, considering how much they cost.

Richard. C.Ped on 1/05/01 at 07:58 (035950)

With the 3/4, you might be able to wear them either with or without the current insole. It all depends on your comfort. If the orthosis does not seem to be doing the job, you might want to consider going back to your doctor to let him/her know.

Richard

Joe W on 1/05/01 at 17:26 (035990)

Thanks Richard,
I at least have more confidence in my DOC. I have not seen him in several month since my shot (1st and only), I'll make another appointment.
Advise me if you can think of anything else.

Joe