Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

pf and flat feet

Posted by Dan M on 1/03/01 at 11:56 (035852)

New to this board and searching for help. I've been in pain for more than a year and diagnosed with pf and flat feet 6 mos. ago. The pf, however, is in the front of the foot, not the heel. The heel is about the only spot that I do not have pain. My podiatrist made inserts (rigid) for the flat feet but they have not really helped the pain. Pain is a burning and aching sensation (excrutiating at times). Also have shin splints which create pain in my calfs. I'd appreciate ideas and help from anyone with similar problems. Thanks!

Re: pf and flat feet

Dr. Biehler on 1/04/01 at 08:39 (035902)

Flat feet by thems selves should not be a problem unless the arch just dropped and your feet just became flat six moths ago. A common problem is trying to correct flat feet all at once , with orthotics , and not taking into account that the body/ foot bone structure/tendons have adapted to the flat position . As one gets older the protective fat pad on the bottom of the foot thins out and it is easy for the nerves to get aggitated. Your pain could be from the distal plantar fascia but this is not that common. Usually we look at capsulitis or metarsalgia in this area. If your feet are truly flat, you might need more of a cushioning insert. If not, remember it takes awhile to break in a ridgid pair of orthotics. Dr. B.

Re: pf and flat feet

Dr. Biehler on 1/04/01 at 08:39 (035902)

Flat feet by thems selves should not be a problem unless the arch just dropped and your feet just became flat six moths ago. A common problem is trying to correct flat feet all at once , with orthotics , and not taking into account that the body/ foot bone structure/tendons have adapted to the flat position . As one gets older the protective fat pad on the bottom of the foot thins out and it is easy for the nerves to get aggitated. Your pain could be from the distal plantar fascia but this is not that common. Usually we look at capsulitis or metarsalgia in this area. If your feet are truly flat, you might need more of a cushioning insert. If not, remember it takes awhile to break in a ridgid pair of orthotics. Dr. B.