Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I get better but relapse VERY easily. What does this mean?

Posted by Beverly on 1/03/01 at 12:14 (035858)

Hi Docs,

I'm happy to report that I think I'm doing a little better. (Bilateral PF/PTT) For the past three weeks, I've been able to be on my feet a tad bit more before I hit 'the wall of pain.' For instance, yesterday I did what would have been unthinkable a month ago. I ran a short errand into Home Depot on foot. I was brief but even to be able to do it with only mild pain at the end was a major accomplishment. I sat on a stool while in line.

But today, I'm achey in my ankles, arches and my big toe hurts. This is typical. I get a little better, run a few short but 'normal' errands doing okay at the time with some discomfort but nothing too bad. Then, the next day I pay for it. This also happened last week, and I took three days of 'house rest' and ice/heat and felt better again.

So basically, I'm doing a little better,yet still relapsing after increased activity, but needing fewer days of rest after the relaspe to feel better.
Do you think this is a good sign? Or does it mean that I'm not handling the small increases in activity well? I hope you got my MRI report.
Thanks,
Beverly

Re: I get better but relapse VERY easily. What does this mean?

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/03/01 at 12:23 (035859)

I am stilling looking at the report. Nothing so far jumps out at me.
Another avenue that you may have to take is what is called physical rehab.
with a physiatrist.

Let me explain. This is usually done with accidents or disability problems.
The rehab is centered around specific activities. For example if you had a injured shoulder and couldn't put cups etc above your head in the kitchen.
The rehab takes place in a set up kitchen and the doctor evaluates to help your perform this specific activity

Now how can we relate this to you.

The physical therapy is done and you discuss with doctor just what activities you are going to done. The physical therapy treatment is goal related to this activiy . Let say going to home depot. You may first onlly be able to park the car and walk up to the front of the store and turn around and go home. The next time go intot the store and then walk down long aisle. The next time two aisle.

Does this make sense. I don't know if this done for pf but it is done for alot of injuries such as lower back, knee and hip injuries.

A physciatrist is the type of doctor that can help you set this program up

JudyS on 1/03/01 at 16:13 (035872)

Hi Beverly - OK OK I'm not a doctor but.......your experience sounds so much like mine that I just had to say so! As you know I've been doing the PF thing for a long time. I just wanted to let you know that what you described here was/is the same for me - and I've recovered quite a bit. When I started noticing recovery it was just as you've described. I finally figured out that the'day after' soreness was just because I'd used muscles that hadn't been used much for months! That soreness disipates as your feet slowly allow more activity and those muscles get strong again - just like any muscle workout. I would get so darn frustrated because it seemed like I could barely breath without sensing a setback!

Nancy S. on 1/03/01 at 22:02 (035889)

Beverly, what Judy says has been true for me too. These are good signs! The setbacks take a shorter and shorter time to rebound from, but it's a gradual process. Continue to push a tiny bit when you're feeling good, but gently and gradually -- and take those frequent rests when you feel signs of relapse. I will still take a whole day of mostly rest (using Uncle Steve's 10-minute rule, sort of) if I've overdone it in some way. But I no longer feel the bitter discouragement of old when this happens. When I compare how I'm doing now month to month, there's been so much improvement, even though I still have quite a way to go.
Like Kay said in another thread (good one, Kay!), try not to think of it day by day -- more week by week at this point, like she said.
Your move will undoubtedly put more stress on you, so you can try to mentally prepare for that probability and not let it get you down too much if it affects your feet for a bit. Don't worry, you'll get back.
I'll be thinking of you during your move -- I'm excited for you, it seems like an excellent change to make.
Nancy

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/03/01 at 12:23 (035859)

I am stilling looking at the report. Nothing so far jumps out at me.
Another avenue that you may have to take is what is called physical rehab.
with a physiatrist.

Let me explain. This is usually done with accidents or disability problems.
The rehab is centered around specific activities. For example if you had a injured shoulder and couldn't put cups etc above your head in the kitchen.
The rehab takes place in a set up kitchen and the doctor evaluates to help your perform this specific activity

Now how can we relate this to you.

The physical therapy is done and you discuss with doctor just what activities you are going to done. The physical therapy treatment is goal related to this activiy . Let say going to home depot. You may first onlly be able to park the car and walk up to the front of the store and turn around and go home. The next time go intot the store and then walk down long aisle. The next time two aisle.

Does this make sense. I don't know if this done for pf but it is done for alot of injuries such as lower back, knee and hip injuries.

A physciatrist is the type of doctor that can help you set this program up

JudyS on 1/03/01 at 16:13 (035872)

Hi Beverly - OK OK I'm not a doctor but.......your experience sounds so much like mine that I just had to say so! As you know I've been doing the PF thing for a long time. I just wanted to let you know that what you described here was/is the same for me - and I've recovered quite a bit. When I started noticing recovery it was just as you've described. I finally figured out that the'day after' soreness was just because I'd used muscles that hadn't been used much for months! That soreness disipates as your feet slowly allow more activity and those muscles get strong again - just like any muscle workout. I would get so darn frustrated because it seemed like I could barely breath without sensing a setback!

Nancy S. on 1/03/01 at 22:02 (035889)

Beverly, what Judy says has been true for me too. These are good signs! The setbacks take a shorter and shorter time to rebound from, but it's a gradual process. Continue to push a tiny bit when you're feeling good, but gently and gradually -- and take those frequent rests when you feel signs of relapse. I will still take a whole day of mostly rest (using Uncle Steve's 10-minute rule, sort of) if I've overdone it in some way. But I no longer feel the bitter discouragement of old when this happens. When I compare how I'm doing now month to month, there's been so much improvement, even though I still have quite a way to go.
Like Kay said in another thread (good one, Kay!), try not to think of it day by day -- more week by week at this point, like she said.
Your move will undoubtedly put more stress on you, so you can try to mentally prepare for that probability and not let it get you down too much if it affects your feet for a bit. Don't worry, you'll get back.
I'll be thinking of you during your move -- I'm excited for you, it seems like an excellent change to make.
Nancy