Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Shoe Orthontics

Posted by Sharon M on 1/03/01 at 21:42 (035885)

My podiatrist recommended I get Sof Sole and Spenco Motion Control orthontics. The only problem is I have a slim foot (AAAA). I have been ordering narrow shoes and putting the orthtontics in, but I am walking right out of the shoes. The orthontics put pressure on other parts of the foot.

I love Birkenstocks. They are wonderful. I have also used the Birstad clogs with wooden soles. The shape of the soles really helps. However, I am unable to wear casual shoes to work.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Re: Shoe Orthontics

Kay S on 1/04/01 at 09:26 (035904)

Hi Sharon.
I also have a very narrow foot. I get several catalogs which have AA to AAAA widths. If you are interested, I will email you the names of the places so you can get on the mailing lists. I have had very good luck with them. Sometimes I can try on shoes at the store, such as Naturalizer, and since they don't stock AAA usually, can order them from the catalog when I get home. Let me know.
Where did you get the Birks and that other clog you wear? How did you know what size to order? I would like to get some but don't want to be sending them back and forth.
Thanks in advance, and good luck.
Kay S.

Richard, C.Ped on 1/05/01 at 07:52 (035949)

Hi Sharon,
Have you tried to take the insoles out of your current shoes and use them as a template to trim the Spenco insoles to fit? Not seeing the Spenco, I am not sure if it will have any negative effect on the 'motion control'.

Richard, C.Ped

Sharon M on 1/05/01 at 08:53 (035955)

Thanks for answering my e-mail. I have plantar facilitis and any comfortable shoes I can get I wear till they dissolve on my feet!

I usually order all my shoes via catalog: Massey's and Maryland Square. They have very narrow and wide widths. Sometimes I do have to return them - even though the shoe is the correct size, it just doesn't fit.

I found out my shoe size by trial and error. I would walk out of the narrow widths, slim widths seem to be just fine, superslim AAAAA sometimes were too narrow in the ball of the foot. Depending on the shoe, sometimes I wear a 7.5 or 8. It seems, the older I get the more I will surrender style for comfort.

I have ordered by clogs on line. I ordered my Birks from BirkenstockExpress. Service was prompt and price was in-line with stores around here.

My Birstad clogs are a different story. I ordered through All Clogged Up several months ago, and still have not received them - nor have my e-mail been answered. These clogs are really comfortable. They come from Sweden, and I am still trying to get them.

Sharon M on 1/05/01 at 08:56 (035956)

Thanks for answering my posting!

The motion control inserts have a hard plastic arch support. Judging from the configuration, they would be hard to cut down. I'm hesitant to take out the insoles from my good shoes, I'm not sure I could get them back in, but I think I shall try anyway.

Thanks - Sharon

Kay S on 1/06/01 at 15:43 (036029)

Sharon
You forgot to tell me how you knew what size to order in the Birks. Do they come in widths???? If I wear a 9.5 AAA, what does that translate to?
I'll be watching for your instructions.
Those are the same catalogs that I get to order shoes. I do order my New Balance online at newbalancewebexpress.com because they are cheaper there and sometimes have good sales.
Which style of the Birks do you wear? I'll go shopping online when you let me know about the sizes.
Thanks.
Kay

Re: Shoe Orthotics

Nancy S. on 1/06/01 at 22:48 (036054)

Howdy Kay,
Maybe this will help if it takes Sharon a while to get back online.
First, the German site, where Birks cost at least half what you pay in the U.S. or anywhere else online, is:

http://www.birkenstock-cn.com

I checked it just now -- it's up and running.
I have a narrow foot also, but I don't know if it's as narrow as yours. Birks come in only two widths -- regular and narrow. I find the narrow is perfect for me. You probably should do some try-ons in a store and then order online.
Before PF, I used to wear a U.S. size 8 1/2. Now it's definitely a 9, and it translates into Birks size 40. There's a little extra room in those for my size 9 feet, but I found I could work with it -- I think 40 might be perfect for 9 1/2. You sound like you need a 40 narrow in Birks -- but do get fitted in a store first before ordering, if you can.
Not all Birks come in both regular and narrow. Some come only in regular. But many do come in both, and the ones I've been interested in -- Boston Classic (now called Boston Basic, I think) and Nebraska Tatamis -- came in narrow. You should have plenty to choose from.
Good luck, Kay -- it sounds to me like both you and TexBabs need that second ESWT treatment, and you're right to have hope. The need for more than one treatment has been the case for many, so don't get discouraged!
Best from Nancy

Re: Shoe Orthotics -- p.s. to Kay

Nancy S. on 1/06/01 at 23:50 (036061)

I forgot to say, Kay, be sure to include the www in the address when you go there. When I left it off, as you can successfully do with many sites, I got one of those delightful screen messages that told me no such thing existed. But with the www, poof and magic, I was transported to Germany.
Nancy

Kay S on 1/04/01 at 09:26 (035904)

Hi Sharon.
I also have a very narrow foot. I get several catalogs which have AA to AAAA widths. If you are interested, I will email you the names of the places so you can get on the mailing lists. I have had very good luck with them. Sometimes I can try on shoes at the store, such as Naturalizer, and since they don't stock AAA usually, can order them from the catalog when I get home. Let me know.
Where did you get the Birks and that other clog you wear? How did you know what size to order? I would like to get some but don't want to be sending them back and forth.
Thanks in advance, and good luck.
Kay S.

Richard, C.Ped on 1/05/01 at 07:52 (035949)

Hi Sharon,
Have you tried to take the insoles out of your current shoes and use them as a template to trim the Spenco insoles to fit? Not seeing the Spenco, I am not sure if it will have any negative effect on the 'motion control'.

Richard, C.Ped

Sharon M on 1/05/01 at 08:53 (035955)

Thanks for answering my e-mail. I have plantar facilitis and any comfortable shoes I can get I wear till they dissolve on my feet!

I usually order all my shoes via catalog: Massey's and Maryland Square. They have very narrow and wide widths. Sometimes I do have to return them - even though the shoe is the correct size, it just doesn't fit.

I found out my shoe size by trial and error. I would walk out of the narrow widths, slim widths seem to be just fine, superslim AAAAA sometimes were too narrow in the ball of the foot. Depending on the shoe, sometimes I wear a 7.5 or 8. It seems, the older I get the more I will surrender style for comfort.

I have ordered by clogs on line. I ordered my Birks from BirkenstockExpress. Service was prompt and price was in-line with stores around here.

My Birstad clogs are a different story. I ordered through All Clogged Up several months ago, and still have not received them - nor have my e-mail been answered. These clogs are really comfortable. They come from Sweden, and I am still trying to get them.

Sharon M on 1/05/01 at 08:56 (035956)

Thanks for answering my posting!

The motion control inserts have a hard plastic arch support. Judging from the configuration, they would be hard to cut down. I'm hesitant to take out the insoles from my good shoes, I'm not sure I could get them back in, but I think I shall try anyway.

Thanks - Sharon

Kay S on 1/06/01 at 15:43 (036029)

Sharon
You forgot to tell me how you knew what size to order in the Birks. Do they come in widths???? If I wear a 9.5 AAA, what does that translate to?
I'll be watching for your instructions.
Those are the same catalogs that I get to order shoes. I do order my New Balance online at newbalancewebexpress.com because they are cheaper there and sometimes have good sales.
Which style of the Birks do you wear? I'll go shopping online when you let me know about the sizes.
Thanks.
Kay

Re: Shoe Orthotics

Nancy S. on 1/06/01 at 22:48 (036054)

Howdy Kay,
Maybe this will help if it takes Sharon a while to get back online.
First, the German site, where Birks cost at least half what you pay in the U.S. or anywhere else online, is:

http://www.birkenstock-cn.com

I checked it just now -- it's up and running.
I have a narrow foot also, but I don't know if it's as narrow as yours. Birks come in only two widths -- regular and narrow. I find the narrow is perfect for me. You probably should do some try-ons in a store and then order online.
Before PF, I used to wear a U.S. size 8 1/2. Now it's definitely a 9, and it translates into Birks size 40. There's a little extra room in those for my size 9 feet, but I found I could work with it -- I think 40 might be perfect for 9 1/2. You sound like you need a 40 narrow in Birks -- but do get fitted in a store first before ordering, if you can.
Not all Birks come in both regular and narrow. Some come only in regular. But many do come in both, and the ones I've been interested in -- Boston Classic (now called Boston Basic, I think) and Nebraska Tatamis -- came in narrow. You should have plenty to choose from.
Good luck, Kay -- it sounds to me like both you and TexBabs need that second ESWT treatment, and you're right to have hope. The need for more than one treatment has been the case for many, so don't get discouraged!
Best from Nancy

Re: Shoe Orthotics -- p.s. to Kay

Nancy S. on 1/06/01 at 23:50 (036061)

I forgot to say, Kay, be sure to include the www in the address when you go there. When I left it off, as you can successfully do with many sites, I got one of those delightful screen messages that told me no such thing existed. But with the www, poof and magic, I was transported to Germany.
Nancy