Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

thoughts on acupuncture?

Posted by Sue R on 1/04/01 at 14:43 (035911)

I'm looking into trying acupuncture and am wondering if anyone has tried it? Any success? What do ya'll think?

Re: thoughts on acupuncture?

Nancy N on 1/04/01 at 14:57 (035912)

I tried it, for a few weeks this summer. After the first treatment, I felt like I had a brand new foot. But then the pain came back, and never went away again. I went to a Chinese guy who did Traditional Chinese Medicine--I understand there's a difference between TCM and 'medical' acupuncture, which others might be able to tell you about better than I. I think some people here had more success with it than I did, too.

AnnabelM on 1/04/01 at 19:57 (035931)

I tried it a couple times and it didn't seem to help my foot at all. It is relaxing , I liked that part of it.

wendyn on 1/04/01 at 21:05 (035934)

I had good results - do a search here on acupuncture and accupunctue (some people mis-spell it and you'll miss those posts).

wendyn on 1/04/01 at 21:21 (035937)

%@@!~ ! Apparently when I try to miss-spell, I do a really good job of it. I MEANT to say 'Try a search under acupuncture and accupuncture'

Yikes.

Barb-NY on 1/05/01 at 12:21 (035975)

I tried it for tendonitis of the wrist and elbow. I found that it worked slightly for about an hour and then the pain returned. I went to a Chinese doctor with US credentials, so the insurance company accepted it.

Don't let anyone tell you that the needles don't hurt....they do!!!

Nancy N on 1/05/01 at 17:07 (035988)

Boy, you have a good point there, Barb! Some of the needles didn't hurt much at all--I don't think I even felt some of them--but others were another story altogether. One of them, just below my ankle bone, always used to feel like fireworks going off in my foot. I never had pain in that area before the acupuncture, which is also where my swelling is. I do occasionally have pain there now. I'm not sure if there's a connection or not, but it does make me wonder.

Celia on 1/05/01 at 18:06 (035991)

Sue, I am currently receiving acupuncture. Althought it's taken almost 12 visits now, I'm starting to show some progress. My acupuncturist has his own theory, though, about all the toys we use for our feet. If you do a search on A DIRTY LITTLE SECRET, you'll be able to find my info on his theory. As of today, I've been fine and am wearing Aerosole shoes (without my orthodics) to work which are pretty stylish nowadays. I'm doing fine. I feel a little discomfort, but that's only when I think about it. I have followed his advice about taking off my shoes as soon as I get home, taking a shower barefooted, etc., and I'm finding that I'm okay. THAT'S NOT TO SAY YOU SHOULD DO IT. Like other pf sufferers have mentioned, it's all according to your what feels good for you.

The acupuncturist is very kind when I am achy from a needlepoint. He'll immediately remove it and move it up a little higher or lower. Make sure that you find one that is receptive to your feelings and works with you!! Good luck!

wendyn on 1/05/01 at 21:59 (036001)

Celia - your acupuncture experience sounds a bit like mine. If there is a needle that bothers me - she either adjusts it or removes it. They do not stay in and cause pain. My experience from acupuncture has been minimal discomfort - with the exception of appointment #2 when I was extremley tense. That one was unpleasant. I just booked six more appointments starting Jan 29.

Re: thoughts on acupuncture? -- Celia, re: barefoot

Nancy S. on 1/05/01 at 23:31 (036009)

Hi Celia,
First of all I think it's terrific that you're doing so much better, barefoot and all. I have a feeling your acupuncturist's philosophy really spoke to you in a lot of ways, and your outlook is evolving into something that's helping you physically, yes?
I have to tell you, I swore off bare feet a long time ago, but your recent posts on this just tempted me too much. So yesterday I took a shower without my shower shoes -- bare feet in porcelain tub. What a letdown! I was In Pain by the time I got out. So it doesn't work for me -- maybe because I'm flatfooted, or because I have other foot tendonitis along with PF -- anyway, my hopes were quickly dashed. This is ok, it was worth trying, and I can live without bare feet since my feet are always cold anyway!
But I'm following your story with interest anyhow, and am very happy about the progress you're feeling. Congrats!
Nancy

Anne on 1/06/01 at 17:52 (036040)

I've had acupuncture twice. The first time I had relief for over a year. The second time, it didn't work. I'm thinking about tryng it again because I can't do anything right now because my feet are always hurting too bad.

Re: thoughts on acupuncture? NancyS re: barefeet

Celia on 1/08/01 at 17:17 (036167)

Ouch! Nancy, I'm sorry to hear that being barefooted didn't help you. I'm not flat-footed so I don't know what you're going through. I hear that it's a difficult thing to live with. My heart goes out to you. Thanks for reading my message, though. I'm sure that someone out there might give it a try. Don't get me wrong. I still have my days when I hesitate about showering without sandals, but I've got this mantra going and it seems to work for me. I just keep saying, I'M DOING FINE. MY FEET ARE FINE! Somehow my brain seems to deliver that to the rest of my body and, before I know it, I forget that I'm feeling any pain. Unfortunately it didn't work when I took up the courage to shop at Ikea this past Saturday. That hard floor killed me! I was back to square one again, with the icing and stretching and such. Today my doctor gave me some interesting looking nightsplints made by Johnson and Johnson. They feel great and can't wait to wear them at night to see what the result will be tomorrow.

For those of you doing acupuncture. Don't give up after the second visit! It's taken me almost 13 visits now, but it's starting to work. It only took me three years to think about doing acupuncture. Sheesh!! Some of us progress a lot slower, but it does work! I would even keep seeing him maybe once a month after I feel confident about my feet and I start my life back on track. Don't be discouraged after the second visit and don't expect instant results! Also, keep the faith. Believe in what he/she is doing for you and make sure that they're in tune with your body. Needle pricks can strike up a nerve and they should respond immediately by removing the needle and placing it in another area.

Nancy S. on 1/08/01 at 17:36 (036169)

Howdy Celia, it was good for me to try, and actually, I think it's the rock-hard tub bottom that got me. I can nowadays walk across a carpet to get to my shoes or whatever, and it's ok (I tend to avoid it though).
I don't think I'm totally flat=footed. When you look at my foot in the air, it looks like a low-to-normal arch in there. But when I stand, the arch falls down -- too far down. I think this is a result of a desk-job life until five years ago, when I took up work that had me on my feet all day long, often 6 or even 7 days a week. My weak arches weren't prepared for it, and it never even occurred to me that they might need help before PF. Now they just about always need help, so I'm an orthotics and Birks fan.
Keep up that mantra of yours! I believe it will play a major part in your winning this battle. Keep reminding us on the board, will you? Lots of people need reminding of mental powers while dealing with this thing, because it can pull the spirits down all too easily and we can forget that the mind does play an important part in the long run -- not only in recovery itself, but in coping with the very hard times.
You're a real asset here, Celia.
Nancy

Nancy N on 1/04/01 at 14:57 (035912)

I tried it, for a few weeks this summer. After the first treatment, I felt like I had a brand new foot. But then the pain came back, and never went away again. I went to a Chinese guy who did Traditional Chinese Medicine--I understand there's a difference between TCM and 'medical' acupuncture, which others might be able to tell you about better than I. I think some people here had more success with it than I did, too.

AnnabelM on 1/04/01 at 19:57 (035931)

I tried it a couple times and it didn't seem to help my foot at all. It is relaxing , I liked that part of it.

wendyn on 1/04/01 at 21:05 (035934)

I had good results - do a search here on acupuncture and accupunctue (some people mis-spell it and you'll miss those posts).

wendyn on 1/04/01 at 21:21 (035937)

%@@!~ ! Apparently when I try to miss-spell, I do a really good job of it. I MEANT to say 'Try a search under acupuncture and accupuncture'

Yikes.

Barb-NY on 1/05/01 at 12:21 (035975)

I tried it for tendonitis of the wrist and elbow. I found that it worked slightly for about an hour and then the pain returned. I went to a Chinese doctor with US credentials, so the insurance company accepted it.

Don't let anyone tell you that the needles don't hurt....they do!!!

Nancy N on 1/05/01 at 17:07 (035988)

Boy, you have a good point there, Barb! Some of the needles didn't hurt much at all--I don't think I even felt some of them--but others were another story altogether. One of them, just below my ankle bone, always used to feel like fireworks going off in my foot. I never had pain in that area before the acupuncture, which is also where my swelling is. I do occasionally have pain there now. I'm not sure if there's a connection or not, but it does make me wonder.

Celia on 1/05/01 at 18:06 (035991)

Sue, I am currently receiving acupuncture. Althought it's taken almost 12 visits now, I'm starting to show some progress. My acupuncturist has his own theory, though, about all the toys we use for our feet. If you do a search on A DIRTY LITTLE SECRET, you'll be able to find my info on his theory. As of today, I've been fine and am wearing Aerosole shoes (without my orthodics) to work which are pretty stylish nowadays. I'm doing fine. I feel a little discomfort, but that's only when I think about it. I have followed his advice about taking off my shoes as soon as I get home, taking a shower barefooted, etc., and I'm finding that I'm okay. THAT'S NOT TO SAY YOU SHOULD DO IT. Like other pf sufferers have mentioned, it's all according to your what feels good for you.

The acupuncturist is very kind when I am achy from a needlepoint. He'll immediately remove it and move it up a little higher or lower. Make sure that you find one that is receptive to your feelings and works with you!! Good luck!

wendyn on 1/05/01 at 21:59 (036001)

Celia - your acupuncture experience sounds a bit like mine. If there is a needle that bothers me - she either adjusts it or removes it. They do not stay in and cause pain. My experience from acupuncture has been minimal discomfort - with the exception of appointment #2 when I was extremley tense. That one was unpleasant. I just booked six more appointments starting Jan 29.

Re: thoughts on acupuncture? -- Celia, re: barefoot

Nancy S. on 1/05/01 at 23:31 (036009)

Hi Celia,
First of all I think it's terrific that you're doing so much better, barefoot and all. I have a feeling your acupuncturist's philosophy really spoke to you in a lot of ways, and your outlook is evolving into something that's helping you physically, yes?
I have to tell you, I swore off bare feet a long time ago, but your recent posts on this just tempted me too much. So yesterday I took a shower without my shower shoes -- bare feet in porcelain tub. What a letdown! I was In Pain by the time I got out. So it doesn't work for me -- maybe because I'm flatfooted, or because I have other foot tendonitis along with PF -- anyway, my hopes were quickly dashed. This is ok, it was worth trying, and I can live without bare feet since my feet are always cold anyway!
But I'm following your story with interest anyhow, and am very happy about the progress you're feeling. Congrats!
Nancy

Anne on 1/06/01 at 17:52 (036040)

I've had acupuncture twice. The first time I had relief for over a year. The second time, it didn't work. I'm thinking about tryng it again because I can't do anything right now because my feet are always hurting too bad.

Celia on 1/08/01 at 17:17 (036167)

Ouch! Nancy, I'm sorry to hear that being barefooted didn't help you. I'm not flat-footed so I don't know what you're going through. I hear that it's a difficult thing to live with. My heart goes out to you. Thanks for reading my message, though. I'm sure that someone out there might give it a try. Don't get me wrong. I still have my days when I hesitate about showering without sandals, but I've got this mantra going and it seems to work for me. I just keep saying, I'M DOING FINE. MY FEET ARE FINE! Somehow my brain seems to deliver that to the rest of my body and, before I know it, I forget that I'm feeling any pain. Unfortunately it didn't work when I took up the courage to shop at Ikea this past Saturday. That hard floor killed me! I was back to square one again, with the icing and stretching and such. Today my doctor gave me some interesting looking nightsplints made by Johnson and Johnson. They feel great and can't wait to wear them at night to see what the result will be tomorrow.

For those of you doing acupuncture. Don't give up after the second visit! It's taken me almost 13 visits now, but it's starting to work. It only took me three years to think about doing acupuncture. Sheesh!! Some of us progress a lot slower, but it does work! I would even keep seeing him maybe once a month after I feel confident about my feet and I start my life back on track. Don't be discouraged after the second visit and don't expect instant results! Also, keep the faith. Believe in what he/she is doing for you and make sure that they're in tune with your body. Needle pricks can strike up a nerve and they should respond immediately by removing the needle and placing it in another area.

Nancy S. on 1/08/01 at 17:36 (036169)

Howdy Celia, it was good for me to try, and actually, I think it's the rock-hard tub bottom that got me. I can nowadays walk across a carpet to get to my shoes or whatever, and it's ok (I tend to avoid it though).
I don't think I'm totally flat=footed. When you look at my foot in the air, it looks like a low-to-normal arch in there. But when I stand, the arch falls down -- too far down. I think this is a result of a desk-job life until five years ago, when I took up work that had me on my feet all day long, often 6 or even 7 days a week. My weak arches weren't prepared for it, and it never even occurred to me that they might need help before PF. Now they just about always need help, so I'm an orthotics and Birks fan.
Keep up that mantra of yours! I believe it will play a major part in your winning this battle. Keep reminding us on the board, will you? Lots of people need reminding of mental powers while dealing with this thing, because it can pull the spirits down all too easily and we can forget that the mind does play an important part in the long run -- not only in recovery itself, but in coping with the very hard times.
You're a real asset here, Celia.
Nancy