Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PF pins & needles, white spots

Posted by Hannah on 1/04/01 at 15:39 (035915)

Dear Doctors,
I have bilatral PF. Soft cast, but now out. Have a wheel
chair to go places, and almost entirely off my feet. Was diagnosed a couple of weeks ago. The swelling appears to be lessening, and the ice clearly helps. However, the pain has shifted from the nail-in-the-heel kind of pain to all over pins and needles and also some heel pain, though not as severe (though still not walking well). Does this shift mean that I am getting better? I also am concerned about odd white circular patches on the soles of my feet that appeared mostly after I began icing them. Is this anything to be concerned about or simply normal? The white spots are the same color as can be induced by pressing on the pink skin. But just odd, I don't remember those before. Thanks for your help and concern, Hannah

Re: PF pins & needles, white spots

Dr. Biehler on 1/05/01 at 08:33 (035953)

The ice might be causing your small vesicals to go into spasms. This is best to be avoided. Do not use ice directly on the skin. Always have it wrapped in some kind of towel. It the spots continue, the stop the iceing. Pins and needle feeling comes from nerves being compressed. As for your progress, lets wait and see and hope. Dr. B.

Re: Thankyou! more...

Hannah on 1/05/01 at 13:03 (035977)

Dr. B,
The icing may be it. Because the few minutes a day were working so well, I said 'Hey, I'll up it to 15 minutes of direct ice 4/5 times a day! That will REALLY help!!!' That's when the numbing and white spots became noticeable. I'll stop that and just use the ice bag and see how it goes.
I appreciate that you are available this way. It is so helpful. Because of your input last time I posted, I was more assertive in addressing the severity of pain, and my physician was immediately glad to help with a soft cast.
I encourage all PF patients to be really honest about their symptoms. I have a tendency to say 'I'm fine,' as I have a very high tolerance for pain, but utimately this may not be good for your body. Where feet are concerned, the differences between keeping silent about pain and speaking up about ALL symptoms can make an especially huge difference in how a physician is able to help you. Thanks again, Hannah

Re: PF pins & needles, white spots

Dr. Biehler on 1/05/01 at 08:33 (035953)

The ice might be causing your small vesicals to go into spasms. This is best to be avoided. Do not use ice directly on the skin. Always have it wrapped in some kind of towel. It the spots continue, the stop the iceing. Pins and needle feeling comes from nerves being compressed. As for your progress, lets wait and see and hope. Dr. B.

Re: Thankyou! more...

Hannah on 1/05/01 at 13:03 (035977)

Dr. B,
The icing may be it. Because the few minutes a day were working so well, I said 'Hey, I'll up it to 15 minutes of direct ice 4/5 times a day! That will REALLY help!!!' That's when the numbing and white spots became noticeable. I'll stop that and just use the ice bag and see how it goes.
I appreciate that you are available this way. It is so helpful. Because of your input last time I posted, I was more assertive in addressing the severity of pain, and my physician was immediately glad to help with a soft cast.
I encourage all PF patients to be really honest about their symptoms. I have a tendency to say 'I'm fine,' as I have a very high tolerance for pain, but utimately this may not be good for your body. Where feet are concerned, the differences between keeping silent about pain and speaking up about ALL symptoms can make an especially huge difference in how a physician is able to help you. Thanks again, Hannah