Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heel Spurs/Shock Wave Treatment

Posted by Jay B on 1/05/01 at 09:51 (035961)

When checking the results of spur treatment by the Orbasone Machine, I found that the people with the highest activity level received the lowest result satisfaction. Mostly females. One male in this category had high satisfaction. I am in the high category(daily sports/exercise). I am considering this treatment. I've had this for 7 years and have been to several podiatrists. I do the streching, wear cast made orthotics, have had the injections (cortisone) and nothing helps. I was scheduling surgery after the ski season but heard about the shock wave treatment. Can you offer any suggestions?

Re: Heel Spurs/Shock Wave Treatment

Dr. Biehler on 1/05/01 at 10:23 (035963)

Since the surgical procedure forever weakens the plantar fascia and you are involved in sports, I feel you should try to avoid the surgery if at all possible. The ESWT is a worth while alternative. Dr. B.

Jay B on 1/08/01 at 10:53 (036143)

Dr. Biehler,

Thank you for your advise on seeking an alternative (ESWT) to that of having surgery. I was unaware the fascia would be weakened. I had the same problem in both feet, however, two years ago I ran quickly from a stopped position and according to my podiatrist, tore the fascia which was likened to having an operation. Since then I have had no pain or noticeable weakness in that foot. If surgery weakens the fascia, is there always a noticeable difference? I am active in all typed of sports including toe raises and toe presses during weight training?

Dr. Biehler on 1/08/01 at 18:12 (036172)

When the fascia is torn it heals by fibrosis. If the tear was not bad, even though the tear is usually very painful, the fascia can heal with out any significant decrease in its strenght and collapse of the arch. With surgery they need to release enough of the fascia to know they are making a correction. The patient doesn't let you release a little today then a little more tomorrow, you only have the one chance so you have to take enough. This is one of the reasons the results very and there can be significan weakening and collapse of the arch. It sound like nature did the operation for you. Dr. B.

Dr. Biehler on 1/05/01 at 10:23 (035963)

Since the surgical procedure forever weakens the plantar fascia and you are involved in sports, I feel you should try to avoid the surgery if at all possible. The ESWT is a worth while alternative. Dr. B.

Jay B on 1/08/01 at 10:53 (036143)

Dr. Biehler,

Thank you for your advise on seeking an alternative (ESWT) to that of having surgery. I was unaware the fascia would be weakened. I had the same problem in both feet, however, two years ago I ran quickly from a stopped position and according to my podiatrist, tore the fascia which was likened to having an operation. Since then I have had no pain or noticeable weakness in that foot. If surgery weakens the fascia, is there always a noticeable difference? I am active in all typed of sports including toe raises and toe presses during weight training?

Dr. Biehler on 1/08/01 at 18:12 (036172)

When the fascia is torn it heals by fibrosis. If the tear was not bad, even though the tear is usually very painful, the fascia can heal with out any significant decrease in its strenght and collapse of the arch. With surgery they need to release enough of the fascia to know they are making a correction. The patient doesn't let you release a little today then a little more tomorrow, you only have the one chance so you have to take enough. This is one of the reasons the results very and there can be significan weakening and collapse of the arch. It sound like nature did the operation for you. Dr. B.