Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

night splints

Posted by Dawn H on 1/05/01 at 14:39 (035983)

Having had orthotics, anti-inflammatory drugs, and cortisone injections, I am now considering the shock therapy with the OssaTron. I have emailed a few doctors, one who said it sounded like I was a good candidate, and so far two others who say that I should try other therapy first. Suggested night splints. Would like to know if anyone has had success with these before I invest in them, and also has anyone had success with ultrasound physical therapy? I really have lost faith in my doctor, who said one more injection and then I'd have to have surgery. I have read online that surgery is not recommended for people with flat feet (which I have) and surgery is only 50% successful. Any advice out there? Thanks so much.

Re: night splints

Nancy S. on 1/05/01 at 15:30 (035985)

Hi Dawn, It sounds like you're right to hold off on surgery, which should be a last resort. If your doctor has tried only the three things you mentioned, there are many more conservative routes to try in order to find the right combination of treatments that work for you.
Have you read Scott's PF Book here? It's chock full of information, including the many conservative treatments that have helped people. Some that come to mind are a stretching program, shoes with the right arch support for you, good orthotics (there are some really lousy kinds out there -- see a pedorthist or orthotist), regular icing, rest, etc. Night splints have helped a lot of people -- they're usually not a cure-all, but then no one thing is! If you have bad morning pain, splints can help keep your fascia from contracting during the night and prevent the microtearing that can occur when you first wake up and walk.
A good and lengthy bout of physical therapy helped me a lot (6 months). I did have ultrasound with it at first, but I don't think it did me a lot of good. Iontophoresis administered by my therapist was better at reducing inflammation (for me), and more important was the deep massage to break up scar tissue. The massage started out gentle and gradually deepened to the point where it hurt like the dickens -- but it helped!
You might well be a good candidate for the OssaTron (ESWT). I think you're supposed to have had PF for at least six months before going that route, so it may depend on how long you yourself have had it. But so far it seems a good number of people improve greatly with ESWT.
Best of luck to you, Dawn -- stick around if you have more questions!
Nancy

salina on 1/05/01 at 21:38 (035997)

Hi Dawn,
I started ultrasound today, and will have it Mon thru Fri of next week, along with stretching, then ice massage.
In December, I had a sort of setback, and went from feeling pretty good to throbbing constant pain. At the time, the PT was doing what he called MENS on my feet. But it seemed to aggravate my feet instead of helping.
So he tried the ultrasound. And that night was the first night in weeks that I slept without pain. So the ultrasound must have done something right.
But I hope it wasn't just a fluke. Cause now I am scheduled for it for the next two weeks.
I wish you luck with your physical therapy. Try everything you can. You never know what is going to work til you try it.
I will report back on my progress, or lack of with the ultrasound.

If you are a candidate for ESWT treatments, like Ossatron, or Orbasone, then I think you should definately do that before considering surgery.
best wishes to you,
salina

Re: Question for Nancy, iontophoresis, massage

salina on 1/05/01 at 21:47 (035998)

Hi Nancy s.
How are you? And what does the iontophoresis do? Have you heard of MENS?
All the guy told me was it could alleviate my pain and inflammation.
And, the deep massage, was it done on your feet or was it for the achiles tendonitis?
Could you explain how they did the massage?

I hope you are doing well. I can't complain. I made it through the holidays, including shopping and cooking. So much better than this time last year.

Re: I have had success with night splints

Bob G. on 1/05/01 at 22:53 (036003)

Hi, Dawn!

I have had great success with night splints. Many wonder why I am still posting having been pain-free for months, now. But I wore my night splint night before last because I want to be more aggressive with my stretching, finally...

Do a search under my name and you'll get a lot of night splint advice, when to wear them, how to wear them, how to make them more comfortable.

I am not in pain anymore, so, hopefully my experience will help...good luck! BG

Nancy S. on 1/05/01 at 23:05 (036005)

Oh Salina, it's great to hear from you. I've been nearing the point where I'd just have to post a Call to Salina to find out how you are! I'm so glad you're feeling better than a year ago, and better than last month. If the ultrasound gave you your first good night's sleep, then it must be good for you and I'm glad of it.
Iontophoresis is similar to ultrasound in that it drives steroid/antiinflammatory into the tissue. The ionto does it in a bit more forceful way, I think. The therapist put steroid-soaked pads on my worst areas, and those were connected via wires to a small machine that drives the steroid through the skin into those areas with electrical current. For some people it feels too burning (Beverly had trouble with it, as I recall), but it wasn't too bad for me at all. And it eventually did reduce a lot of the inflammation and swelling. So many of my tendons were inflamed that I think the ultrasound treatment had to be spread too thin. Had to cover the peroneals, post tibs., and achilles on both feet, plus the PF on my left foot. Ionto couldn't cover everything at once, but we used it on the worst spots and it felt very concentrated.
She worked up gradually to deep massage -- I just couldn't have taken it at first -- but by the last month or so, she was using all the force she could muster. She did what she called cross-friction massage, using both her thumbs and digging in as deep as she could. When her thumbs got tired she used a wooden tool. She did this directly on my left PF, as well as all the tendons -- basically, most of both feet and up about 5 inches into my calves. It was excruciating that last month -- one time I cried -- but I always walked out better than when I walked in!
And I have been doing a lot better, thanks for asking. I still have a way to go, but it's all so much better than a year and a half ago when I first got PF, better than a year ago, better even than a few months ago. I can't be on my feet for long periods of time still, but when I am the pain is no longer excruciating, and any setback recedes pretty quickly compared with the olden days, with a day or two of extra rest and icing. When I'm cautious about how much time I spend on my feet, which is most days, I have very little pain -- sometimes none. So a corner has been turned, and I mostly thank physical therapy, the Acu-Flex, and recent & better orthotics.
I haven't heard of MENS before, Salina. I can think of a few jokes, har har, but really, what does MENS stand for, do you know? In any case, I'm glad you're getting this concentrated physical therapy now, and that the ultrasound is helping. Clue us in on what MENS is, ok?
I hope you're beginning a real upswing, as it sounds. I think of you often. May 2001 bring your recovery!
Nancy

mrbob2 on 1/06/01 at 05:30 (036014)

Hi dawn, you sound like me. I did everything that you have done. The night splint did not work very well for me. The therapy was so so. I had a ossatron treatment on the 26th of Dec. I feel a lot better today. I do no thave the death march in the morning anymore. I am still in the recovery stage. My biggest problem right now is that i have Peroneal Cuboib syndrome. I am geting treatment for that once aweek right now. I got a shot of a new drug that is a synthic cortisone. It seems to be helping. I have flat feet and i still wear my orthonics to. I hope to be running again by the end of Feb. My treatment was done in So. calif.
Hope this helps and good luck, Say no to the knife.
Bob

Barbara TX on 1/06/01 at 15:12 (036028)

When I first saw that legendary message I thought 'panty staples?' I've tried everything else, so why the h#$@ not try the panty staples? Where can I get them? Maybe they fit in your drawers and affect a nerve that runs down the back of the leg to the heel? Makes more sense than running about 900000 volts into my heel (and now I'm trying that). If someone told me that running naked through the neighborhood in a tiara and high heels would cure me of pf, you can bet I'd be the first on deck. Really. I am so sick of this pf that I could just cry. Please pass the panty staples. B.

Kay S on 1/06/01 at 16:22 (036032)

Alright, BarbTX----I want some of those panty staples too. However, I have no idea what they are, and I can't even come up with a good guess. (am I the only one who doesn't have a good imagination? I can't even think of some smart aleck remark to make about them!) And if you are going to run naked with high heels and a tiara through the neighborhood, I am going to do it too. Let me tell you, that will be a sorry sight to see.
Do you think this is an official 'race for the cure' for pf???? Can't you see it now? You, me, probably Beverly too--------all decked out in our tiaras and high heels, limping through the streets, waving to our supporters, (which everyone will wish we were wearing), shouting 'I'm FREE(from pf) I'm FREE!' Oh what a glorious day that will be!
I'm sick of it too, but we have to keep plodding along. Your next ESWT is coming up soon. Repeat after me: Eswt is going to help me. Eswt is going to help me.
Kay

Re: PT... massage...new orthodics... TENS unit

Beverly on 1/06/01 at 16:58 (036037)

Hi Salina and all,

I believe PT has helped me go from being in terrible pain with every step down where I am now: bad pain with extended steps but barely achey to moderate pain with 'around the house/short errand' steps. This may not seem like much, but it has taken me from being dysfunctional outside of my house to at least able to get around a bit out there in the world. Plus, I can't say enough for rest.

I don't think the ultrasound did any good but it didn't hurt and perhaps it made it easier for the massage. Ionphresis gave me a little relief at first but after a handfull of sessions it started stinging more than helping.
I personally love, love, love the electric stimulator mixed with heat and then followed by a massage by the PT. I just got a TENS unit (cost me nothing/insurance paid). It feels similar to the elect stem. Have not had it long enough to comment.

I've found who does the massage is very important. Try different therapists at the clinic. I like a deep massage done by 'big hands.' So, I usually do better with male massage therapists but occasionally I run across a big gal with big hands who is just as good. I think the type of massage we all like is very individualized. Like Nancy, I could barely stand it at first and gradually got to go deeper. He works my foot, ankle, calf, and hamstrings.
(Added the hamstrings later after hamstring strain).

I am moving next week and I love PT so much I've scheduled a session right up to the moving day! While they are loading me up, I'll be at PT. I'm going to try going without PT for a month after the move and just get a weekly general body massage and see how I do (along with rest, ice/heat, and my new TENS unit). I've had PT since July and I think it is time to see how I do without it.

Oh, one final note. I think I have another orthodics failure. Just got my new ones yesterday. I know it is soon to pronounce failure, but they hurt so much I can barely wear them. The orthodist adjusted them twice before I left, but the arch is still too high. It digs into my arches and the material feels too soft. It is made out of crepe. It was suppose to be cork, but the orthodist changed the material because he thought I'd do better with crepe because it is softer. I'm frustrated because I was very clear about how much I loved my cork footbed Birk sandals. At any rate, I don't have to pay for them if they don't work. But it is a hassle to have to go across town and return them in the middle of moving.

Sorry this is so long. I'll be online through Tues night. After that, computer gets packed
Beverly

Re: Response to Kay - and Kim where are you?

wendyn on 1/06/01 at 18:43 (036047)

Kay - this is one of the all time famous typos on this board. Some of them are just more amusing than others. While typing a post about online shopping...Kim meant to say that you could also order 'pantry staples' except she put down 'panty staples'.

If you want some amusement, you could do a search on panty staples here, I'm sure those old posts are out there somewhere. It gave us all a good giggle anyway.

Nancy S. on 1/06/01 at 23:25 (036057)

Beverly! It DOES sound like 'much'! Slow as it feels, what you're describing is progress, definitely, and I hope you can feel the hope from it. It's real -- and it's due in large part to your patience and determination and cautiousness and perseverance. Please don't sell these things short in yourself -- they will get you where you want to go.
I'm sorry your orthotics are disappointing so far, but I'm not sure you should give up this soon. My orthotist told me from the outset that the arches may need several adjustments -- the arches in the orthotics are MY arches, but given what they've been through he knew my feet might not be able to take the 'ideal.' I've been back twice now for adjustments, and may go a third time before leaving for Mexico on Thursday. The adjustments in my case have consisted of his removing millimeters of material from the arches -- doing it gradually so as not to remove too much.
This last time, although he removed only a tiny bit, I was worried that it might still have been too much because more of my weight was shifted to the back of my heel from the adjustment.
He told me to come in this week if I don't adjust to that, and to bring my casts with me, because the remedy would be to slightly build up the arch again, but this time with softer material replacing the small portion he has removed so far.
I don't know if this makes sense in the abstract like this, but my point is that it can take a real process of adjustments, and I just want to encourage you not to give up too soon. It really does take a while after an adjustment before you can know if it's right; it might feel good for the 10 or 15 minutes you walk on it while in the office, but another week of wear might uncover another need for adjustment. I'm sure Richard can tell you that this is true -- I don't know the percentage -- but I imagine people with foot problems like ours more often than not don't go in and get the orthotics, have adjustments on the spot, and are never seen again because they're perfect. It's a process.
I'm so glad PT is working so well for you!
Beverly, I wish you all the luck in the world with your move. I have a good feeling about it. Are you still moving to the apt. by the train? and by a spa? I'm envious on both counts. I'll be in Mexico by the time you get there, and I'm looking forward to catching up with how things go for you by the time I get back.
Take good care,
Nancy

Beverly on 1/07/01 at 16:47 (036086)

Dear Nancy and Salina,

Nancy, you are as usual encouraging. I was feeling quite blue this weekend... doing another 'rest cure' because all the errands I had to run this week set me back. Now, the tops of my feet hurt and my big toe! Seems like I've read about this with others. But I'm a bit better from a weekend of rest. You'd think with movers and packers this would be a breeze, but I still have a million errands and stuff to organize throughout the house so it can be packed.

Yes, I'll give the orthodics another try. I just wish he'd made them out of cork like we'd previously agreed. I'm going to get them adjusted again either before I leave town or find someone to do it when I move.

Salina, I'm neither technical nor medical in my descriptions. But basically my TENS unit looks and feels like a portable electric stimulator. I don't think it packs as much power as an elect. stem. It has electrodes that you can place on a 'meaty' area. (not suppose to put it over a joint or directly on a bone). I use it on my hamstrings and PTT area and calves. I tried it on my feet and didn't like it... too many nerves in the foot. I put a microwaveable 'Bed Buddy' heat pack under my leg. My understanding is that this is not a cure for anything but is suppose to give temporary pain relief by relaxing the muscles.

Have a great trip, Nancy. No, I ended up going with a different apartment. Had nothing to do with the train. I found one with more space for a better price in a less traffic jammed area. My building is next door to the pool and spa. That was a real selling point. I do hate giving up a garage. It was either being next door to the pool with a carport or nextdoor to the parking garage but way far away from the pool. The pool won hands down.

Take care,
Beverly

Nancy S. on 1/05/01 at 15:30 (035985)

Hi Dawn, It sounds like you're right to hold off on surgery, which should be a last resort. If your doctor has tried only the three things you mentioned, there are many more conservative routes to try in order to find the right combination of treatments that work for you.
Have you read Scott's PF Book here? It's chock full of information, including the many conservative treatments that have helped people. Some that come to mind are a stretching program, shoes with the right arch support for you, good orthotics (there are some really lousy kinds out there -- see a pedorthist or orthotist), regular icing, rest, etc. Night splints have helped a lot of people -- they're usually not a cure-all, but then no one thing is! If you have bad morning pain, splints can help keep your fascia from contracting during the night and prevent the microtearing that can occur when you first wake up and walk.
A good and lengthy bout of physical therapy helped me a lot (6 months). I did have ultrasound with it at first, but I don't think it did me a lot of good. Iontophoresis administered by my therapist was better at reducing inflammation (for me), and more important was the deep massage to break up scar tissue. The massage started out gentle and gradually deepened to the point where it hurt like the dickens -- but it helped!
You might well be a good candidate for the OssaTron (ESWT). I think you're supposed to have had PF for at least six months before going that route, so it may depend on how long you yourself have had it. But so far it seems a good number of people improve greatly with ESWT.
Best of luck to you, Dawn -- stick around if you have more questions!
Nancy

salina on 1/05/01 at 21:38 (035997)

Hi Dawn,
I started ultrasound today, and will have it Mon thru Fri of next week, along with stretching, then ice massage.
In December, I had a sort of setback, and went from feeling pretty good to throbbing constant pain. At the time, the PT was doing what he called MENS on my feet. But it seemed to aggravate my feet instead of helping.
So he tried the ultrasound. And that night was the first night in weeks that I slept without pain. So the ultrasound must have done something right.
But I hope it wasn't just a fluke. Cause now I am scheduled for it for the next two weeks.
I wish you luck with your physical therapy. Try everything you can. You never know what is going to work til you try it.
I will report back on my progress, or lack of with the ultrasound.

If you are a candidate for ESWT treatments, like Ossatron, or Orbasone, then I think you should definately do that before considering surgery.
best wishes to you,
salina

salina on 1/05/01 at 21:47 (035998)

Hi Nancy s.
How are you? And what does the iontophoresis do? Have you heard of MENS?
All the guy told me was it could alleviate my pain and inflammation.
And, the deep massage, was it done on your feet or was it for the achiles tendonitis?
Could you explain how they did the massage?

I hope you are doing well. I can't complain. I made it through the holidays, including shopping and cooking. So much better than this time last year.

Re: I have had success with night splints

Bob G. on 1/05/01 at 22:53 (036003)

Hi, Dawn!

I have had great success with night splints. Many wonder why I am still posting having been pain-free for months, now. But I wore my night splint night before last because I want to be more aggressive with my stretching, finally...

Do a search under my name and you'll get a lot of night splint advice, when to wear them, how to wear them, how to make them more comfortable.

I am not in pain anymore, so, hopefully my experience will help...good luck! BG

Nancy S. on 1/05/01 at 23:05 (036005)

Oh Salina, it's great to hear from you. I've been nearing the point where I'd just have to post a Call to Salina to find out how you are! I'm so glad you're feeling better than a year ago, and better than last month. If the ultrasound gave you your first good night's sleep, then it must be good for you and I'm glad of it.
Iontophoresis is similar to ultrasound in that it drives steroid/antiinflammatory into the tissue. The ionto does it in a bit more forceful way, I think. The therapist put steroid-soaked pads on my worst areas, and those were connected via wires to a small machine that drives the steroid through the skin into those areas with electrical current. For some people it feels too burning (Beverly had trouble with it, as I recall), but it wasn't too bad for me at all. And it eventually did reduce a lot of the inflammation and swelling. So many of my tendons were inflamed that I think the ultrasound treatment had to be spread too thin. Had to cover the peroneals, post tibs., and achilles on both feet, plus the PF on my left foot. Ionto couldn't cover everything at once, but we used it on the worst spots and it felt very concentrated.
She worked up gradually to deep massage -- I just couldn't have taken it at first -- but by the last month or so, she was using all the force she could muster. She did what she called cross-friction massage, using both her thumbs and digging in as deep as she could. When her thumbs got tired she used a wooden tool. She did this directly on my left PF, as well as all the tendons -- basically, most of both feet and up about 5 inches into my calves. It was excruciating that last month -- one time I cried -- but I always walked out better than when I walked in!
And I have been doing a lot better, thanks for asking. I still have a way to go, but it's all so much better than a year and a half ago when I first got PF, better than a year ago, better even than a few months ago. I can't be on my feet for long periods of time still, but when I am the pain is no longer excruciating, and any setback recedes pretty quickly compared with the olden days, with a day or two of extra rest and icing. When I'm cautious about how much time I spend on my feet, which is most days, I have very little pain -- sometimes none. So a corner has been turned, and I mostly thank physical therapy, the Acu-Flex, and recent & better orthotics.
I haven't heard of MENS before, Salina. I can think of a few jokes, har har, but really, what does MENS stand for, do you know? In any case, I'm glad you're getting this concentrated physical therapy now, and that the ultrasound is helping. Clue us in on what MENS is, ok?
I hope you're beginning a real upswing, as it sounds. I think of you often. May 2001 bring your recovery!
Nancy

mrbob2 on 1/06/01 at 05:30 (036014)

Hi dawn, you sound like me. I did everything that you have done. The night splint did not work very well for me. The therapy was so so. I had a ossatron treatment on the 26th of Dec. I feel a lot better today. I do no thave the death march in the morning anymore. I am still in the recovery stage. My biggest problem right now is that i have Peroneal Cuboib syndrome. I am geting treatment for that once aweek right now. I got a shot of a new drug that is a synthic cortisone. It seems to be helping. I have flat feet and i still wear my orthonics to. I hope to be running again by the end of Feb. My treatment was done in So. calif.
Hope this helps and good luck, Say no to the knife.
Bob

Barbara TX on 1/06/01 at 15:12 (036028)

When I first saw that legendary message I thought 'panty staples?' I've tried everything else, so why the h#$@ not try the panty staples? Where can I get them? Maybe they fit in your drawers and affect a nerve that runs down the back of the leg to the heel? Makes more sense than running about 900000 volts into my heel (and now I'm trying that). If someone told me that running naked through the neighborhood in a tiara and high heels would cure me of pf, you can bet I'd be the first on deck. Really. I am so sick of this pf that I could just cry. Please pass the panty staples. B.

Kay S on 1/06/01 at 16:22 (036032)

Alright, BarbTX----I want some of those panty staples too. However, I have no idea what they are, and I can't even come up with a good guess. (am I the only one who doesn't have a good imagination? I can't even think of some smart aleck remark to make about them!) And if you are going to run naked with high heels and a tiara through the neighborhood, I am going to do it too. Let me tell you, that will be a sorry sight to see.
Do you think this is an official 'race for the cure' for pf???? Can't you see it now? You, me, probably Beverly too--------all decked out in our tiaras and high heels, limping through the streets, waving to our supporters, (which everyone will wish we were wearing), shouting 'I'm FREE(from pf) I'm FREE!' Oh what a glorious day that will be!
I'm sick of it too, but we have to keep plodding along. Your next ESWT is coming up soon. Repeat after me: Eswt is going to help me. Eswt is going to help me.
Kay

Beverly on 1/06/01 at 16:58 (036037)

Hi Salina and all,

I believe PT has helped me go from being in terrible pain with every step down where I am now: bad pain with extended steps but barely achey to moderate pain with 'around the house/short errand' steps. This may not seem like much, but it has taken me from being dysfunctional outside of my house to at least able to get around a bit out there in the world. Plus, I can't say enough for rest.

I don't think the ultrasound did any good but it didn't hurt and perhaps it made it easier for the massage. Ionphresis gave me a little relief at first but after a handfull of sessions it started stinging more than helping.
I personally love, love, love the electric stimulator mixed with heat and then followed by a massage by the PT. I just got a TENS unit (cost me nothing/insurance paid). It feels similar to the elect stem. Have not had it long enough to comment.

I've found who does the massage is very important. Try different therapists at the clinic. I like a deep massage done by 'big hands.' So, I usually do better with male massage therapists but occasionally I run across a big gal with big hands who is just as good. I think the type of massage we all like is very individualized. Like Nancy, I could barely stand it at first and gradually got to go deeper. He works my foot, ankle, calf, and hamstrings.
(Added the hamstrings later after hamstring strain).

I am moving next week and I love PT so much I've scheduled a session right up to the moving day! While they are loading me up, I'll be at PT. I'm going to try going without PT for a month after the move and just get a weekly general body massage and see how I do (along with rest, ice/heat, and my new TENS unit). I've had PT since July and I think it is time to see how I do without it.

Oh, one final note. I think I have another orthodics failure. Just got my new ones yesterday. I know it is soon to pronounce failure, but they hurt so much I can barely wear them. The orthodist adjusted them twice before I left, but the arch is still too high. It digs into my arches and the material feels too soft. It is made out of crepe. It was suppose to be cork, but the orthodist changed the material because he thought I'd do better with crepe because it is softer. I'm frustrated because I was very clear about how much I loved my cork footbed Birk sandals. At any rate, I don't have to pay for them if they don't work. But it is a hassle to have to go across town and return them in the middle of moving.

Sorry this is so long. I'll be online through Tues night. After that, computer gets packed
Beverly

Re: Response to Kay - and Kim where are you?

wendyn on 1/06/01 at 18:43 (036047)

Kay - this is one of the all time famous typos on this board. Some of them are just more amusing than others. While typing a post about online shopping...Kim meant to say that you could also order 'pantry staples' except she put down 'panty staples'.

If you want some amusement, you could do a search on panty staples here, I'm sure those old posts are out there somewhere. It gave us all a good giggle anyway.

Nancy S. on 1/06/01 at 23:25 (036057)

Beverly! It DOES sound like 'much'! Slow as it feels, what you're describing is progress, definitely, and I hope you can feel the hope from it. It's real -- and it's due in large part to your patience and determination and cautiousness and perseverance. Please don't sell these things short in yourself -- they will get you where you want to go.
I'm sorry your orthotics are disappointing so far, but I'm not sure you should give up this soon. My orthotist told me from the outset that the arches may need several adjustments -- the arches in the orthotics are MY arches, but given what they've been through he knew my feet might not be able to take the 'ideal.' I've been back twice now for adjustments, and may go a third time before leaving for Mexico on Thursday. The adjustments in my case have consisted of his removing millimeters of material from the arches -- doing it gradually so as not to remove too much.
This last time, although he removed only a tiny bit, I was worried that it might still have been too much because more of my weight was shifted to the back of my heel from the adjustment.
He told me to come in this week if I don't adjust to that, and to bring my casts with me, because the remedy would be to slightly build up the arch again, but this time with softer material replacing the small portion he has removed so far.
I don't know if this makes sense in the abstract like this, but my point is that it can take a real process of adjustments, and I just want to encourage you not to give up too soon. It really does take a while after an adjustment before you can know if it's right; it might feel good for the 10 or 15 minutes you walk on it while in the office, but another week of wear might uncover another need for adjustment. I'm sure Richard can tell you that this is true -- I don't know the percentage -- but I imagine people with foot problems like ours more often than not don't go in and get the orthotics, have adjustments on the spot, and are never seen again because they're perfect. It's a process.
I'm so glad PT is working so well for you!
Beverly, I wish you all the luck in the world with your move. I have a good feeling about it. Are you still moving to the apt. by the train? and by a spa? I'm envious on both counts. I'll be in Mexico by the time you get there, and I'm looking forward to catching up with how things go for you by the time I get back.
Take good care,
Nancy

Beverly on 1/07/01 at 16:47 (036086)

Dear Nancy and Salina,

Nancy, you are as usual encouraging. I was feeling quite blue this weekend... doing another 'rest cure' because all the errands I had to run this week set me back. Now, the tops of my feet hurt and my big toe! Seems like I've read about this with others. But I'm a bit better from a weekend of rest. You'd think with movers and packers this would be a breeze, but I still have a million errands and stuff to organize throughout the house so it can be packed.

Yes, I'll give the orthodics another try. I just wish he'd made them out of cork like we'd previously agreed. I'm going to get them adjusted again either before I leave town or find someone to do it when I move.

Salina, I'm neither technical nor medical in my descriptions. But basically my TENS unit looks and feels like a portable electric stimulator. I don't think it packs as much power as an elect. stem. It has electrodes that you can place on a 'meaty' area. (not suppose to put it over a joint or directly on a bone). I use it on my hamstrings and PTT area and calves. I tried it on my feet and didn't like it... too many nerves in the foot. I put a microwaveable 'Bed Buddy' heat pack under my leg. My understanding is that this is not a cure for anything but is suppose to give temporary pain relief by relaxing the muscles.

Have a great trip, Nancy. No, I ended up going with a different apartment. Had nothing to do with the train. I found one with more space for a better price in a less traffic jammed area. My building is next door to the pool and spa. That was a real selling point. I do hate giving up a garage. It was either being next door to the pool with a carport or nextdoor to the parking garage but way far away from the pool. The pool won hands down.

Take care,
Beverly