Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

is there a relief from the discomfort of scar tissue

Posted by kavitha B on 1/05/01 at 19:52 (035996)

6 months back i started having the sensation of walking on a lump right below the second and third toes on the sole of the foot. The dr tried injections to reduce this but it continued to grow . He stated that it was a nuroma and we talked of surgery to remove it . Four months back he did the surgery and i went on disabiity to let the foot heal, It got better to a point for a while but then it seemed as if there was still a lump and it was almost painful all the time . I then went through thereapy for the foot for 2 months and now i have inserts for inside the shoe but i feel the foot is worse now then before surgery. I can only drive for short distances as it is the right foot and it hurts to much after awhile . I can only walk short distances before it begins to hurt and he said there is scar tissue sooo what now -- is there no help for this -- will it go away or will there always be a lump and discomfort .

Re: is there a relief from the discomfort of scar tissue

Dr. Biehler on 1/06/01 at 11:30 (036025)

Did the lab report say it was a neroma that was removed? If the injections didn't work, were they steroid injections? The alcohol sclerosing injections are specific for nerve fiber and can still be used if the nerve is still the problem. I have used a steroid injection to help break up scar tissue. You might conside an MRI to find out what is going on in there before you do anything else. Dr. B.

Kavitha Babu on 1/08/01 at 16:49 (036164)

THe dr said that the lap report stated that it was a nueroma and yes he did use steroids to try to break it up before surgery --- the one thing that bothers me alot is that he has never himself done an exray. The only exray was the one my family dr ordered and it was not an mri. I am back to work now after four months and it is very uncomfortable with my foot feeling as it does . I feel a lump when i walk and any prolonged presure there such as driving is soooooo uncomfortable . I keep saying it is uncomfortable and that i feel i am walking on a lump but he keeps saying it is scar tissue . HE had inserts made for inside the shoe but i do not see where they are helping me at all especially when i drive. I wish to know if he is right will the scar tissue go away and also i wish to know if it is possible to have another one next to where that one was as this lump feels as if it is somewhat under the big toe . How long before i can get relief as right now the foot feels worse then before surgery . Please help

Dr. Biehler on 1/08/01 at 18:02 (036171)

There are sessamoids under the big toe. They are shaped like two marbles sitting side by side. Also if you get a plantarflexed metatarsal ( these are the long bones leading to your toes ) this can feel like a lump under the ball of the foot and can often be the cause of a neuroma. You might have scar tissue that needs to resolve but I think I would recomend another x-ray to see what is going on before I would recomend any further procedures. Dr. B.

Dr. Biehler on 1/06/01 at 11:30 (036025)

Did the lab report say it was a neroma that was removed? If the injections didn't work, were they steroid injections? The alcohol sclerosing injections are specific for nerve fiber and can still be used if the nerve is still the problem. I have used a steroid injection to help break up scar tissue. You might conside an MRI to find out what is going on in there before you do anything else. Dr. B.

Kavitha Babu on 1/08/01 at 16:49 (036164)

THe dr said that the lap report stated that it was a nueroma and yes he did use steroids to try to break it up before surgery --- the one thing that bothers me alot is that he has never himself done an exray. The only exray was the one my family dr ordered and it was not an mri. I am back to work now after four months and it is very uncomfortable with my foot feeling as it does . I feel a lump when i walk and any prolonged presure there such as driving is soooooo uncomfortable . I keep saying it is uncomfortable and that i feel i am walking on a lump but he keeps saying it is scar tissue . HE had inserts made for inside the shoe but i do not see where they are helping me at all especially when i drive. I wish to know if he is right will the scar tissue go away and also i wish to know if it is possible to have another one next to where that one was as this lump feels as if it is somewhat under the big toe . How long before i can get relief as right now the foot feels worse then before surgery . Please help

Dr. Biehler on 1/08/01 at 18:02 (036171)

There are sessamoids under the big toe. They are shaped like two marbles sitting side by side. Also if you get a plantarflexed metatarsal ( these are the long bones leading to your toes ) this can feel like a lump under the ball of the foot and can often be the cause of a neuroma. You might have scar tissue that needs to resolve but I think I would recomend another x-ray to see what is going on before I would recomend any further procedures. Dr. B.