Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Should I have surgery?

Posted by Pam B on 1/06/01 at 10:14 (036018)

I have been suffering from Bilateral PF for about 3 years now. My lifestyle has gone from very active (excercing 5 times a week, walking, hiking, camping, and just being active outdoors) to working 40 hours a week and coming home to bedrest. I am lucky if I can go shopping for an hour without moderate to severe pain. The left foot has always been worse than the right. Over the past 3 years I have had 4 injections, used the night splints, been casted twice, taped my feet, went to physical therapy for streching and ice massage, did 1 month of bedrest followed by crutches for 2 months, and have had a sets of custom made orthotics. I have brief periods of improvement followed by a relapse each time. The doctor is now considering surgery on my left foot. When my paperwork went in last month I was having moderate pain about 50% of the time, severe pain about 20%, and mild about 30%. In the past week, the pain has sufficiently decrease to mild about 80% of the time. My question is, should I continue with my plans to have surgery or delay it and see if my feet continue to improve?

Re: Should I have surgery?

Dr. Biehler on 1/06/01 at 11:25 (036023)

Delay the surgery. If your feet have started to improve, mabe something jump started your delayed healing process. Dr. B.

Pauline on 1/06/01 at 11:29 (036024)

Why not try ESWT first? You have nothing to lose. You can always have surgery on your feet later. I personally would try everything especially
ESWT before I ask for surgery. Once cut the PF never grows back. Some have great results and others develop more problems. No one having ESWT
has reported having more problems than they went in with after having ESWT.

Dr. Z is reporting good results and many of his patients are giving follow up reports on this site. Check it out.

No Doctor here, just my opinion.

Re: Should I have surgery again for residual effects from EPF?

Dr. Biehler on 1/08/01 at 19:54 (036179)

If you click on SURGERY at the top of this page, the page it brings you to says that DR. Barret patented the EPF procedure in 1993. If you click on his name it takes you to his web page where you can e-mail him. Dr. B.

Dr. Biehler on 1/06/01 at 11:25 (036023)

Delay the surgery. If your feet have started to improve, mabe something jump started your delayed healing process. Dr. B.

Pauline on 1/06/01 at 11:29 (036024)

Why not try ESWT first? You have nothing to lose. You can always have surgery on your feet later. I personally would try everything especially
ESWT before I ask for surgery. Once cut the PF never grows back. Some have great results and others develop more problems. No one having ESWT
has reported having more problems than they went in with after having ESWT.

Dr. Z is reporting good results and many of his patients are giving follow up reports on this site. Check it out.

No Doctor here, just my opinion.

Re: Should I have surgery again for residual effects from EPF?

Dr. Biehler on 1/08/01 at 19:54 (036179)

If you click on SURGERY at the top of this page, the page it brings you to says that DR. Barret patented the EPF procedure in 1993. If you click on his name it takes you to his web page where you can e-mail him. Dr. B.