Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

info re. wrist tissues

Posted by Jonathan on 1/06/01 at 15:04 (036027)

Dear Doctors,

I have a quick question regarding the risk of developing arthritic problems as a result of long term (ie. 40 years) of wrist curls. I ask this because I have had tendinitis in my wrist and the only way I can strengthen my wrist (to prevent re-injury) is through wrist curls. I hope to work my way from a very light weight up to 2 pounds, (3 pounds would be my maximum). Gradually I would work my way up to 3 sets of 40 repetitions with the 2 pound weight. I would do this 5 days a week. Would I be risking arthritis if I did wrist curls like this for many years, (even if I continued into my old age)?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Re: info re. wrist tissues

Dr. Biehler on 1/06/01 at 16:09 (036030)

No. Exercise is good even when you do have arthritis. Dr. B.

Jonathan on 1/06/01 at 17:18 (036038)

Dear Doctors,

Is performing wrist curls any different than doing excercises working other joints? In other words is the wrist more fragile (and prone to arthritis and injury) than any other joint?

Thanks again,

Jonathan

Dr. Biehler on 1/06/01 at 20:43 (036051)

Putting a joint through its range of motion should not in itself be a cause of arthriris. Dr. B.

Dr. Biehler on 1/06/01 at 16:09 (036030)

No. Exercise is good even when you do have arthritis. Dr. B.

Jonathan on 1/06/01 at 17:18 (036038)

Dear Doctors,

Is performing wrist curls any different than doing excercises working other joints? In other words is the wrist more fragile (and prone to arthritis and injury) than any other joint?

Thanks again,

Jonathan

Dr. Biehler on 1/06/01 at 20:43 (036051)

Putting a joint through its range of motion should not in itself be a cause of arthriris. Dr. B.