Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

WHAT NEXT....NEED ADVICE

Posted by Kathy on 1/07/01 at 09:31 (036067)

The feet are starting to feel better when I've come down with 2 bulging disc L4 and L5 and S1 is pinching the nerve root, I've also developed tendonitis in the peroneal cuboid which is usually more painful then the disc. Here is my problem, I've been working my tail off for the last 2 years to chaperone my daughter and her high school band to California (I'm from Mich) and I have to put a non-refundable deposit on my ticket by Jan 17th and we leave on Feb.15th, been taking viciden for 6 weeks for the pain and have an appointment with neurosurgeon on Jan25th, Has anyone ever had a nerve block and what can I do for the tendon problem? I know this isn't a PF problem but everyone here has been my PF life line for the last 2 years and didn't know who else to ask or who would be as understanding as my PF friends.
Thanks,
Kathy

Re: WHAT NEXT....NEED ADVICE

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/07/01 at 14:27 (036074)

This can more painful then the pf problem. It is worth a single steriod injection into the area if there is a pin point pain site. This needs to be determine before any injection. In addition an ankle support such as the one you can get at the local drug store. Try the brand futuro. You need to eliminate the motion called supination . This is very important . Another great brace is an aircast splint that eliminates this motion.

Kay S on 1/07/01 at 15:06 (036079)

Kathy--are you talking about an epidural nerve block for your back??? I work in an area where a lot of these are done, and many people have good success with them for their back pain. Of course, it is only as good as the doctor who is doing it, so I would make sure that your doc has a LOT of experience with this. You can have up to three injections in a year (just like the feet) and it is to reduce the swelling and irritation at the site of your pain. I would not hesitate to have this done if it were me, but don't blame you for feeling anxious about it.
I don't know what to say about the peroneal tendonitis....maybe someone else will have an idea about that and your trip.
Don't you just think sometimes: 'I DON'T HAVE TIME FOR THIS!!!!!'
Kay

Ellen Watson on 1/08/01 at 09:36 (036138)

I had achilles tendonites (now healed) with retrocalcaneal bursitis (still a problem but getting better), so I don't know if the same things will work for peroneal tendonities. But what worked for me was deep massage by my physical therapist (she said she could feel the knots running up and down my tendon, and it was very painful but helpful), coupled with some gentle stretching excercises using an elastic band (though the stretching products listed on this board sound like they'd also be very helpful); lots of icing, and repeat prescriptions of anti-inflammatories, plus magnesium and B-6 supplements. When I reached a plateau in terms of the inflammation just not receding futher, my doctor prescribed a 5-day steroid pack. You might find that this would help you when travelling, though people's reactions to it are mixed -- some have no side effects, others feel very wired. By the 4th day, I found myself wanting to say the most outrageous things to people, so I wouldn't want to take it during a trip when I had to make sure I was polite to others!

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/07/01 at 14:27 (036074)

This can more painful then the pf problem. It is worth a single steriod injection into the area if there is a pin point pain site. This needs to be determine before any injection. In addition an ankle support such as the one you can get at the local drug store. Try the brand futuro. You need to eliminate the motion called supination . This is very important . Another great brace is an aircast splint that eliminates this motion.

Kay S on 1/07/01 at 15:06 (036079)

Kathy--are you talking about an epidural nerve block for your back??? I work in an area where a lot of these are done, and many people have good success with them for their back pain. Of course, it is only as good as the doctor who is doing it, so I would make sure that your doc has a LOT of experience with this. You can have up to three injections in a year (just like the feet) and it is to reduce the swelling and irritation at the site of your pain. I would not hesitate to have this done if it were me, but don't blame you for feeling anxious about it.
I don't know what to say about the peroneal tendonitis....maybe someone else will have an idea about that and your trip.
Don't you just think sometimes: 'I DON'T HAVE TIME FOR THIS!!!!!'
Kay

Ellen Watson on 1/08/01 at 09:36 (036138)

I had achilles tendonites (now healed) with retrocalcaneal bursitis (still a problem but getting better), so I don't know if the same things will work for peroneal tendonities. But what worked for me was deep massage by my physical therapist (she said she could feel the knots running up and down my tendon, and it was very painful but helpful), coupled with some gentle stretching excercises using an elastic band (though the stretching products listed on this board sound like they'd also be very helpful); lots of icing, and repeat prescriptions of anti-inflammatories, plus magnesium and B-6 supplements. When I reached a plateau in terms of the inflammation just not receding futher, my doctor prescribed a 5-day steroid pack. You might find that this would help you when travelling, though people's reactions to it are mixed -- some have no side effects, others feel very wired. By the 4th day, I found myself wanting to say the most outrageous things to people, so I wouldn't want to take it during a trip when I had to make sure I was polite to others!