Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

New to Site

Posted by Susan on 1/07/01 at 11:00 (036070)

I'm new here and impressed with all the information and support given. I've had PF for a year now and have followed all the traditional treatments so far, including orthotics, icing, taping Advil, and rest. Generally speaking I'm a very active person but can't even take walks anymore. Depressing!! I've read down the messages about taping a certain way and I was wondering if I could be directed to the method with illustrations. Can anyone lead me to it? I wear Birkenstock sandles in the house and they seem to work the best but living in Ontario that doesn't work well with snow and my boots with orthotics and a gel heel pad just doesn't seem to cut the pain. Any suggestions? Thanks so much.

Re: what happened to our message board?

Scott R on 1/07/01 at 19:14 (036100)

Gosh everyone, Susan, a newcomer, has posted a message here 7 hours ago and I'm the first to respond. In the past, a message like hers would have had 4 responses by now. Why did our message board die? Susan, taping pictures can be found at http://heelspurs.com/_intro2.html

Re: New to Site

Laurie R on 1/07/01 at 20:47 (036111)

Hi Susan,
Welcome to the board. You will fine many caring people here. When you have time read Scott's PF book at the top of the page.I have had PF now for almost 19 months. I don't have all the answers ,but If I can help you in any way PLEASE feel free to ask. My best to you and welcome . Laurie R

Re: New to Site........welcome to footworld, leave your orthotics at the door!

Kate on 1/08/01 at 08:04 (036128)

Sue,
You will find great help on these boards. I would like to suggest that you check out the PF database, and also please contact Dr.Zuckerman or Dr.Biehler on the 'Ask the Doctors' board.
It does sound to me like you have tried alot of different options for treating your PF. One thing that I might add, would be to physically warm your feet up every morning with a heating pad, or moist heat. Do this before taking your fest step, and after your feet are nice and warmed up, trying some slow and thorough stretching.
If I can help you in any way, please feel free to pick what's left of my brain!
Best wishes to you, and welcome to heelspurs.com!

Kate Jurman
ESWT Coordinator

Steve P on 1/08/01 at 09:52 (036140)

Hi Susan. A few questions if I may.

Have you had physical therapy? Do you use a nightsplint? Are you under a doctor's treatment now, or just self-treatment?

thanks.........Steve

Susan on 1/08/01 at 15:40 (036156)

Thanks Scott for your response.

Susan on 1/08/01 at 15:44 (036157)

I'm in physical therapy right now getting ultrasound daily. I've also been given 2 exercises to do, but the PF pain became worse and was told to stop the exercise. I feel like I keep bumping into dead end after dead end. I realize most of you have tried many different treatments, some that I haven't tried yet......so I've got some catching up to do. Thanks so much.

Susan on 1/08/01 at 15:45 (036158)

Thanks Laura.....I'll probably have many Qs and responses. I hope I can be of help in some way......maybe in time.

Susan on 1/08/01 at 15:47 (036159)

Hi Kate, thanks for the suggestions. I'll try warming my foot first thing in the morning. I'm not too sure about the orthotics. I've heard such conflicting advise about those darn things. I've worn them for many many years and feel they have actually weakened my feet. Thanks again.

Nancy S. on 1/08/01 at 16:37 (036162)

Hi Susan,
Were the two exercises you were given to do weight-bearing exercises? When PF is acute, I found weight-bearing exercises actually harmful. For exercises at home, I use the Acu-Flex (on Scott's Products Page) -- it's terrific, and all non-weight-bearing. You can stretch and strengthen with it, and you can begin very very gently and work up to more resistance as gradually as you need to.
Are you getting any massage at PT? It took me six months of PT to feel some real improvement -- and I AM improving. A large part of the PT benefit was the massage, which began very gently and progressed to very deep, in order to break up scar tissue, which in itself is very painful.
Hang in there -
Nancy

Re: Hi Nancy - Re: New to Site

Susan on 1/08/01 at 20:50 (036186)

I really appreciate your information. I'm only getting the ultrasound at PT but I'm going to ask about the massage tommorow when I go. The Acu-Flex exercises look great. I'll have to really read them and get comfortable with the procedure, but I'll try it. Thanks for the support.

Karin L. on 1/09/01 at 12:25 (036231)

Susan,
Have you gone to the ESWT site? I too went through PT twice, with no relief! Even surgery didn't help, but just had the ESWT 10 days ago with the OssaTron & for the first time in 2 years, I am pain free. I mean I don't have any pain, not even that first step in the morning pain. Are you going to a pod or orthopod? Ask you Dr. what they know about ESWT. For some of us, it has worked miracles where all other treatments failed. Good luck & hope we can help out a newcomer.
Karin

Re: Thanks Karin, Re: New to Site

Susan on 1/09/01 at 17:23 (036244)

Thanks Karin, I'll ask my doc about it. I've been to a pod with only a 'guarantee' orthotics would help. Guess what - nothing!!

Karin L. on 1/09/01 at 18:38 (036250)

Susan,
Have you tried the Dyna Step inserts? You can get them at Walgreens or the grocery store. I really like them. They aren't hard, but give good arch support & they're inexpensive. They last quite awhile too. Good luck, keep us posted as to the ESWT...it really is a miracle machine!
Karin

Scott R on 1/07/01 at 19:14 (036100)

Gosh everyone, Susan, a newcomer, has posted a message here 7 hours ago and I'm the first to respond. In the past, a message like hers would have had 4 responses by now. Why did our message board die? Susan, taping pictures can be found at http://heelspurs.com/_intro2.html

Laurie R on 1/07/01 at 20:47 (036111)

Hi Susan,
Welcome to the board. You will fine many caring people here. When you have time read Scott's PF book at the top of the page.I have had PF now for almost 19 months. I don't have all the answers ,but If I can help you in any way PLEASE feel free to ask. My best to you and welcome . Laurie R

Kate on 1/08/01 at 08:04 (036128)

Sue,
You will find great help on these boards. I would like to suggest that you check out the PF database, and also please contact Dr.Zuckerman or Dr.Biehler on the 'Ask the Doctors' board.
It does sound to me like you have tried alot of different options for treating your PF. One thing that I might add, would be to physically warm your feet up every morning with a heating pad, or moist heat. Do this before taking your fest step, and after your feet are nice and warmed up, trying some slow and thorough stretching.
If I can help you in any way, please feel free to pick what's left of my brain!
Best wishes to you, and welcome to heelspurs.com!

Kate Jurman
ESWT Coordinator

Steve P on 1/08/01 at 09:52 (036140)

Hi Susan. A few questions if I may.

Have you had physical therapy? Do you use a nightsplint? Are you under a doctor's treatment now, or just self-treatment?

thanks.........Steve

Susan on 1/08/01 at 15:40 (036156)

Thanks Scott for your response.

Susan on 1/08/01 at 15:44 (036157)

I'm in physical therapy right now getting ultrasound daily. I've also been given 2 exercises to do, but the PF pain became worse and was told to stop the exercise. I feel like I keep bumping into dead end after dead end. I realize most of you have tried many different treatments, some that I haven't tried yet......so I've got some catching up to do. Thanks so much.

Susan on 1/08/01 at 15:45 (036158)

Thanks Laura.....I'll probably have many Qs and responses. I hope I can be of help in some way......maybe in time.

Susan on 1/08/01 at 15:47 (036159)

Hi Kate, thanks for the suggestions. I'll try warming my foot first thing in the morning. I'm not too sure about the orthotics. I've heard such conflicting advise about those darn things. I've worn them for many many years and feel they have actually weakened my feet. Thanks again.

Nancy S. on 1/08/01 at 16:37 (036162)

Hi Susan,
Were the two exercises you were given to do weight-bearing exercises? When PF is acute, I found weight-bearing exercises actually harmful. For exercises at home, I use the Acu-Flex (on Scott's Products Page) -- it's terrific, and all non-weight-bearing. You can stretch and strengthen with it, and you can begin very very gently and work up to more resistance as gradually as you need to.
Are you getting any massage at PT? It took me six months of PT to feel some real improvement -- and I AM improving. A large part of the PT benefit was the massage, which began very gently and progressed to very deep, in order to break up scar tissue, which in itself is very painful.
Hang in there -
Nancy

Susan on 1/08/01 at 20:50 (036186)

I really appreciate your information. I'm only getting the ultrasound at PT but I'm going to ask about the massage tommorow when I go. The Acu-Flex exercises look great. I'll have to really read them and get comfortable with the procedure, but I'll try it. Thanks for the support.

Karin L. on 1/09/01 at 12:25 (036231)

Susan,
Have you gone to the ESWT site? I too went through PT twice, with no relief! Even surgery didn't help, but just had the ESWT 10 days ago with the OssaTron & for the first time in 2 years, I am pain free. I mean I don't have any pain, not even that first step in the morning pain. Are you going to a pod or orthopod? Ask you Dr. what they know about ESWT. For some of us, it has worked miracles where all other treatments failed. Good luck & hope we can help out a newcomer.
Karin

Susan on 1/09/01 at 17:23 (036244)

Thanks Karin, I'll ask my doc about it. I've been to a pod with only a 'guarantee' orthotics would help. Guess what - nothing!!

Karin L. on 1/09/01 at 18:38 (036250)

Susan,
Have you tried the Dyna Step inserts? You can get them at Walgreens or the grocery store. I really like them. They aren't hard, but give good arch support & they're inexpensive. They last quite awhile too. Good luck, keep us posted as to the ESWT...it really is a miracle machine!
Karin