Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Should I consider surgery?

Posted by Lori B on 1/07/01 at 19:48 (036103)

I have suffered with PF for seven years. I didn't know what my heel pain was until 4 years ago. I have been diagnosed with heel spurs and PF and have tried Ibuprofen 800 3x/day for inflammation, having my feet taped, custom orthotics, Birkenstock shoes, stretching, icing the heel and rest. I have not done the cortisone shots because I hear they hurt horribly and they don't seem to help for long periods. They certainly are not a cure. My pain is constant, but the severity varies depending on how much I am on my feet. I am not opposed to surgery, but after reading some of the messages on this board, I wonder if that would help or not, or might it make the problem worse? My question is, have I tried all avenues open to me, or should I seek further remedies short of surgery to alleviate the problem? And if so, what would be the next remedy I should try? Night splints, Ibuprofen Cream, a different orthotic? Please advise.

Re: Should I consider surgery?

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/07/01 at 20:35 (036107)

Assuming that the correct diagosis of heel spurs is the cause of your foot problems. The options are either heel spurs surgery or investigate ESWT. You can read alot about this on the board and ESWT section of the web site.

I would never do foot surgery unless your pain was confined to what is called first step pain in the morning or after sitting for any length of time. The general opinion among doctors is that this is the reason any foot surgery your pf and or heel spur surgery that is directed at the releasing of the pf is for.

Lori B. on 1/07/01 at 23:05 (036124)

My heel pain is first step pain and after sitting for awhile. After walking for a few minutes the pain decreases, unless I have been overdoing the walking and standing. After reading many messages on your message board, it seems that most of the steps that people take, (ie, taping, stretching, orthotics, shots, etc.) do not really do any good in the long run and are only temporary relief measures. However, the surgery sounds pretty dicey too, so I'm not sure I would opt for that either. EWST sounds promising, but it appears the only place to get that treatment is in NJ-rather too far from Utah where I live.
Also, when the option of rest is discussed, it never says what 'rest' entails--duration, totally off the foot (or feet) or what. Please give me some info on what kind of rest I should be doing. Thank you.

Re: Should I consider surgery? or ESWT?

Cynthia on 1/08/01 at 21:22 (036190)

Sorry to hear about Lori suffering for nine years. That makes my 4 1/2 seem easy. Only my feet hurt ALL the time, especially upon arising. I have tried everything you will find talked about in this website except ESWT and surgery. Could you tell me how to find Dr. Z? Interesting that as much as his name is all over, there is no info that I can find on how to reach him (FYI).

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/07/01 at 20:35 (036107)

Assuming that the correct diagosis of heel spurs is the cause of your foot problems. The options are either heel spurs surgery or investigate ESWT. You can read alot about this on the board and ESWT section of the web site.

I would never do foot surgery unless your pain was confined to what is called first step pain in the morning or after sitting for any length of time. The general opinion among doctors is that this is the reason any foot surgery your pf and or heel spur surgery that is directed at the releasing of the pf is for.

Lori B. on 1/07/01 at 23:05 (036124)

My heel pain is first step pain and after sitting for awhile. After walking for a few minutes the pain decreases, unless I have been overdoing the walking and standing. After reading many messages on your message board, it seems that most of the steps that people take, (ie, taping, stretching, orthotics, shots, etc.) do not really do any good in the long run and are only temporary relief measures. However, the surgery sounds pretty dicey too, so I'm not sure I would opt for that either. EWST sounds promising, but it appears the only place to get that treatment is in NJ-rather too far from Utah where I live.
Also, when the option of rest is discussed, it never says what 'rest' entails--duration, totally off the foot (or feet) or what. Please give me some info on what kind of rest I should be doing. Thank you.

Re: Should I consider surgery? or ESWT?

Cynthia on 1/08/01 at 21:22 (036190)

Sorry to hear about Lori suffering for nine years. That makes my 4 1/2 seem easy. Only my feet hurt ALL the time, especially upon arising. I have tried everything you will find talked about in this website except ESWT and surgery. Could you tell me how to find Dr. Z? Interesting that as much as his name is all over, there is no info that I can find on how to reach him (FYI).