Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

single shoe orthotic?

Posted by PaulS on 1/08/01 at 05:26 (036126)

My latest pair of orthotics are helping my PF foot, but seem to be causing the first symtoms of PF in the other (hitherto ok foot). Must they be worn as a pair or could I wear the regular sports shoe in-sole in the ok foot?
Thanks for the advice.

Re: single shoe orthotic?

Richard, C.Ped on 1/08/01 at 07:58 (036127)

Hi Paul,
If the orthotics are made correctly, they should support your feet and ankle in neutral. If you wear only one, this would basically 'throw you off'. That could cause pain in different areas of your body. You would also walk with a 'wobble'.

I would have whoever made the inserts take a look at the other one. You may need an adjustment.

Richard

PaulS on 1/09/01 at 07:19 (036205)

Thanks for your advice, Richard. I suspected that it would not be a good idea to wear two different pairs of insoles. The problem is that my (good) left foot has had a lifetime of shoes/insoles with no support and now has to get used to an orthotic with a raised arch so that the right (PF) foot can heal.

Richard, C.Ped on 1/08/01 at 07:58 (036127)

Hi Paul,
If the orthotics are made correctly, they should support your feet and ankle in neutral. If you wear only one, this would basically 'throw you off'. That could cause pain in different areas of your body. You would also walk with a 'wobble'.

I would have whoever made the inserts take a look at the other one. You may need an adjustment.

Richard

PaulS on 1/09/01 at 07:19 (036205)

Thanks for your advice, Richard. I suspected that it would not be a good idea to wear two different pairs of insoles. The problem is that my (good) left foot has had a lifetime of shoes/insoles with no support and now has to get used to an orthotic with a raised arch so that the right (PF) foot can heal.