Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Night Splints

Posted by Crystal m on 1/08/01 at 11:03 (036145)

I have just recently began wearing a night splint. I have found that the pain is really unbearable is this common for the first week I know that I will have to adjust to it but I dont know many people who have used a night splint so I wasn't sure who to ask.
Thanks

Re: Night Splints

Dr. Biehler on 1/08/01 at 17:51 (036170)

I do not feel the night splint should cause pain. I feel its benifit comes from the very slight but continious pressure that it is applying. Over a period of time the body should adjust to this slight but continious pressure resulting in a greater range of motion. As this occure the night splint is adjusted. I feel too much pressure is counter productive and chokes of the small vesicals that suppies blood to the area. dr. B.

Crystal M on 1/09/01 at 07:44 (036206)

I have tried releasing the night splint as loosely as it will go and seeing how that works. And still is discomforting so much though that I give up on the splint and end up with it off in the middle of the night. it may be that I am not patient enough for it. I will continue to work with it and see how it goes. Maybe it was just pulled to tightly for my foot to begin with.

Dr. Biehler on 1/08/01 at 17:51 (036170)

I do not feel the night splint should cause pain. I feel its benifit comes from the very slight but continious pressure that it is applying. Over a period of time the body should adjust to this slight but continious pressure resulting in a greater range of motion. As this occure the night splint is adjusted. I feel too much pressure is counter productive and chokes of the small vesicals that suppies blood to the area. dr. B.

Crystal M on 1/09/01 at 07:44 (036206)

I have tried releasing the night splint as loosely as it will go and seeing how that works. And still is discomforting so much though that I give up on the splint and end up with it off in the middle of the night. it may be that I am not patient enough for it. I will continue to work with it and see how it goes. Maybe it was just pulled to tightly for my foot to begin with.