Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Orthotic with too High Arch

Posted by salina on 1/08/01 at 16:30 (036161)

Should I be worried about my orthotics causing any more harm to my feet?
My orthotics seem way too high in the arch, but only in one of my feet.
Actually its the foot that has healed the most and seems to be on the way to healing.
They adjusted it just a tiny bit, but when I went back to see if he would do it again, he said he wouldn't because its just my foot needs to get used to it.
I am worried because, like I said, this is the foot that was feeling darn good in my birks. Its the other foot that really needs the orthotics.
But I am afraid I am going to hurt the good foot's arch and be starting all over trying to get it to heal again.
OK, I think I just confused even myself with all the 'good foot, bad foot'.
I hope you can understand the question. :)
If I keep wearing these orthotics, can I really injure my arch if its too high? Or will it just be uncomfortable?
My 'bad' foot feels comfortable in its orthotic. So I want to keep trying to wear them every day in hopes that it will get better.
I just don't want to do any harm to the other foot.
My orthotics are not too hard, and the bottom is like this hard rubber looking stuff. Wonder if I could just sand it down a little myself???
Thanks to anyone who can decipher this post and has any answers for me.

Re: Orthotic with too High Arch

Nancy S. on 1/08/01 at 16:57 (036165)

Salina, No, the orthotic's arch should NOT hurt. My orthotist warned me that you can actually bruise the arch and cause more pain if it's too high (and the arches often are too high for full weight-bearing until properly adjusted). I _think_ Richard will agree to this, but Richard, please do correct me if I'm wrong.
I feel your orthotist is wrong not to take down that arch. Even a tiny bit of lowering -- mini-millimeters -- can make all the difference in the world. It's pointless to keep that one foot's arch at a level that hurts you and prevents you in the long run from using the orthotics at all. Insist! Or maybe send it to Richard!
Good luck --
Nancy

Nancy S. on 1/09/01 at 00:07 (036200)

Hi Salina,
When you had the original adjustments done, did he do only your bad foot at the time? Because that's what I had done at first -- just the worse foot, probably because I'm more focused on that one. But this last time I had him take the arch down on my less-bad foot too, because I'd begun to realize that that arch was hurting too.
I do think your guy needs to take care of this, because he can say in the abstract that it only FEELS like it's too high, but let's face it, that's silly. If it feels too high and is hurting you, it IS too high. He's not listening.... The last thing you need is to worsen your better foot while trying to fix your bad foot; this would be one of those infamous vicious circles.
Ok, Salina, now that you've out-ed yourself, I'll admit too that I don't wear my orthotics every waking minute. The habits I've developed are that, because I still love my Boston Birks, I step into those first thing in the morning. I wear them like slippers. I also often wear them around the house in the evening. During the day, and certainly whenever I'm going out or will be on my feet more, I wear the orthotics faithfully. I think and hope I wear them enough that my little Birk side-trips won't hurt anything. If someone sends us to jail for this, see you there!
I hate shopping too, and especially at a ritzy mall. I haven't been to a ritzy mall -- or any big mall -- for years, actually. If I never see another one for the rest of my life, I'll be perfectly happy about it.
Salina, I'll be off the board after sometime Wednesday because we're leaving for Mexico early Thursday. I'll be away for 4 to 6 weeks. I think you missed that, since you said you hadn't been reading the board much, so I just wanted to let you know -- I don't want you to think if I don't reply to a post from you that I've turned into a ritzy mall snob and have no time for real life!
Take care,
Nancy

Richard, C.Ped on 1/09/01 at 07:50 (036207)

Hi Salina,
I wish my wife hated shopping as much as you do. I don't like the mall either. Give me Big Lots or the Dollar Store anyday.

Anyway, the feel of the orthosis can come down to a few things. I can only speak on how I do it. After taking the cast out of the foam, you have to 'clean' it. It will have all kinds of bumps and 'extras' all over it. You have to smooth out the cast. I use drywall sanding sheets and water. It gets pretty messy, but I still wear black pants to the office...what a dope.

It is very possible to sand to much out of the arch and ruin the cast. I am not saying that this happened to you at all.

I have patients that have a hard time getting used to the orthosis. There is a fine line doing adjustments that you do not want to cross. If so, it defeats the purpose of the orthosis.

I tell people that it will feel like there is a golf ball under your arch. It will take some getting used to. If they form their orthotics like I do, you may be feeling that intimate fit that I like to get. You may have sensitive feet.

Where is the pain exactly? Thru the whole arch? Just in front and to the side of the heel? Make sure you tell them exactly where it hurts. If you just can't get used to it after a few weeks, let them know again. Don't try to wear the inserts all day. You may have to go back to the break in timeline.

Only wear them a short time, maybe 15 minutes. Don't wear them until you start to feel pain. If you feel pain at 15 minutes, let them know. Sometimes it take just a little ZAP on the grinder to solve the problem.

Good luck, and let me know how you are the first of next week. If you have any other questions before that, please let me know.
Richard

Cynthia on 1/09/01 at 10:21 (036217)

Salina, I, too had new orthotics after 2 years of wearing my first pair. My new podiatrist said my foot 'sat' better in the new ones and urged me to wear them. My pain was about a constant 4-6 range and the new orthotics made my pain a constant 9. He encouraged me to try to 'break them in' at 15 minute intervals, then 30 minutes, etc. Eventually, after several months, I moved into them full time. Fun wearing sneakers to go to the bathroom during the night, huh? If you have a continued increase in pain, I would definately consult your doctor, and not adjust them yourself. Best of luck. What are we all going to do when Nancy S is in Mexico so long?

Kay S on 1/10/01 at 09:20 (036298)

Salina--I have an idea. You can be the first one of us to try wearing two different types of shoes/othotics at the same time. I haven't heard anyone yet say that they have done this. And if you do this, we want pictures.
Kay

salina on 1/10/01 at 15:50 (036332)

Hi Kay, believe me, it crosses my mind sometimes to do just that.
But I think the docs on the board all say its a big NONO. So I won't try it just yet. :)
All I know is that I can double or triple my standing time when I wear the birks, as opposed to the orthotics, and this is on either foot. So they have to be doing something right. I am having a very confusing time of things right now, a hard week. Stuff is really getting to me this week.
So I am going to try to remain calm and let this attitude pass before I do anything rash I may regret later. But you never know.

Nancy S. on 1/08/01 at 16:57 (036165)

Salina, No, the orthotic's arch should NOT hurt. My orthotist warned me that you can actually bruise the arch and cause more pain if it's too high (and the arches often are too high for full weight-bearing until properly adjusted). I _think_ Richard will agree to this, but Richard, please do correct me if I'm wrong.
I feel your orthotist is wrong not to take down that arch. Even a tiny bit of lowering -- mini-millimeters -- can make all the difference in the world. It's pointless to keep that one foot's arch at a level that hurts you and prevents you in the long run from using the orthotics at all. Insist! Or maybe send it to Richard!
Good luck --
Nancy

Nancy S. on 1/09/01 at 00:07 (036200)

Hi Salina,
When you had the original adjustments done, did he do only your bad foot at the time? Because that's what I had done at first -- just the worse foot, probably because I'm more focused on that one. But this last time I had him take the arch down on my less-bad foot too, because I'd begun to realize that that arch was hurting too.
I do think your guy needs to take care of this, because he can say in the abstract that it only FEELS like it's too high, but let's face it, that's silly. If it feels too high and is hurting you, it IS too high. He's not listening.... The last thing you need is to worsen your better foot while trying to fix your bad foot; this would be one of those infamous vicious circles.
Ok, Salina, now that you've out-ed yourself, I'll admit too that I don't wear my orthotics every waking minute. The habits I've developed are that, because I still love my Boston Birks, I step into those first thing in the morning. I wear them like slippers. I also often wear them around the house in the evening. During the day, and certainly whenever I'm going out or will be on my feet more, I wear the orthotics faithfully. I think and hope I wear them enough that my little Birk side-trips won't hurt anything. If someone sends us to jail for this, see you there!
I hate shopping too, and especially at a ritzy mall. I haven't been to a ritzy mall -- or any big mall -- for years, actually. If I never see another one for the rest of my life, I'll be perfectly happy about it.
Salina, I'll be off the board after sometime Wednesday because we're leaving for Mexico early Thursday. I'll be away for 4 to 6 weeks. I think you missed that, since you said you hadn't been reading the board much, so I just wanted to let you know -- I don't want you to think if I don't reply to a post from you that I've turned into a ritzy mall snob and have no time for real life!
Take care,
Nancy

Richard, C.Ped on 1/09/01 at 07:50 (036207)

Hi Salina,
I wish my wife hated shopping as much as you do. I don't like the mall either. Give me Big Lots or the Dollar Store anyday.

Anyway, the feel of the orthosis can come down to a few things. I can only speak on how I do it. After taking the cast out of the foam, you have to 'clean' it. It will have all kinds of bumps and 'extras' all over it. You have to smooth out the cast. I use drywall sanding sheets and water. It gets pretty messy, but I still wear black pants to the office...what a dope.

It is very possible to sand to much out of the arch and ruin the cast. I am not saying that this happened to you at all.

I have patients that have a hard time getting used to the orthosis. There is a fine line doing adjustments that you do not want to cross. If so, it defeats the purpose of the orthosis.

I tell people that it will feel like there is a golf ball under your arch. It will take some getting used to. If they form their orthotics like I do, you may be feeling that intimate fit that I like to get. You may have sensitive feet.

Where is the pain exactly? Thru the whole arch? Just in front and to the side of the heel? Make sure you tell them exactly where it hurts. If you just can't get used to it after a few weeks, let them know again. Don't try to wear the inserts all day. You may have to go back to the break in timeline.

Only wear them a short time, maybe 15 minutes. Don't wear them until you start to feel pain. If you feel pain at 15 minutes, let them know. Sometimes it take just a little ZAP on the grinder to solve the problem.

Good luck, and let me know how you are the first of next week. If you have any other questions before that, please let me know.
Richard

Cynthia on 1/09/01 at 10:21 (036217)

Salina, I, too had new orthotics after 2 years of wearing my first pair. My new podiatrist said my foot 'sat' better in the new ones and urged me to wear them. My pain was about a constant 4-6 range and the new orthotics made my pain a constant 9. He encouraged me to try to 'break them in' at 15 minute intervals, then 30 minutes, etc. Eventually, after several months, I moved into them full time. Fun wearing sneakers to go to the bathroom during the night, huh? If you have a continued increase in pain, I would definately consult your doctor, and not adjust them yourself. Best of luck. What are we all going to do when Nancy S is in Mexico so long?

Kay S on 1/10/01 at 09:20 (036298)

Salina--I have an idea. You can be the first one of us to try wearing two different types of shoes/othotics at the same time. I haven't heard anyone yet say that they have done this. And if you do this, we want pictures.
Kay

salina on 1/10/01 at 15:50 (036332)

Hi Kay, believe me, it crosses my mind sometimes to do just that.
But I think the docs on the board all say its a big NONO. So I won't try it just yet. :)
All I know is that I can double or triple my standing time when I wear the birks, as opposed to the orthotics, and this is on either foot. So they have to be doing something right. I am having a very confusing time of things right now, a hard week. Stuff is really getting to me this week.
So I am going to try to remain calm and let this attitude pass before I do anything rash I may regret later. But you never know.