Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What about casting?

Posted by Lori B. on 1/08/01 at 23:42 (036199)

Drs. Zucker and Biehler(sp?)
I hope you don't mind all these questions I have been throwing at you the past 2 days. I only just found this message board and I finally have a place to ask all my questions. I have learned so much from all the other people who leave their messages and I am learning about alot of different treatments. So after all that, here is my question: I have been reading about hard casting feet in order to force them to rest. It this treatment pretty successful? I feel that if I could just rest totally for a period of time that perhaps my feet would get better. But being a busy mom, I can't seem to justify sitting around for several weeks while my family waits on me hand and foot. (A lovely thought, but it would never happen.) Is this a viable option? Thanks for your input.

Re: What about casting?

Tracy C. on 1/09/01 at 14:22 (036238)

I was in a cast for 6 weeks. From Oct 30th of this year to Dec 15th. It did not help. I have two small children, 3 and 1. I have a husband that is very supportive, but nevertheless had to work late some nights and not every night did I have coverage for the kids so I could sit on my tail. Realistically, I stayed off my casted foot as much as humanly possible. I hated every minute of it, I was miserable. And now my foot is killing me all over again.

I can only speak from my experience. Other people may have had better results. For me it was a lot of inconvenience and pain for nothing.

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/09/01 at 19:07 (036261)

Take a look at the survey board for effective treatments. According to this survey hard casts can be harmful. I would rather see you first try a boot cast. This isn't any complete restriction of motion at the ankle joint and there is a reduction in the risk of atrophy of the leg muscles.

I also like a slipper cast which is casting of just the plantar fascia and not the ankle. This really works well.

Tracy C. on 1/09/01 at 14:22 (036238)

I was in a cast for 6 weeks. From Oct 30th of this year to Dec 15th. It did not help. I have two small children, 3 and 1. I have a husband that is very supportive, but nevertheless had to work late some nights and not every night did I have coverage for the kids so I could sit on my tail. Realistically, I stayed off my casted foot as much as humanly possible. I hated every minute of it, I was miserable. And now my foot is killing me all over again.

I can only speak from my experience. Other people may have had better results. For me it was a lot of inconvenience and pain for nothing.

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/09/01 at 19:07 (036261)

Take a look at the survey board for effective treatments. According to this survey hard casts can be harmful. I would rather see you first try a boot cast. This isn't any complete restriction of motion at the ankle joint and there is a reduction in the risk of atrophy of the leg muscles.

I also like a slipper cast which is casting of just the plantar fascia and not the ankle. This really works well.