Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Stll have ankle pain

Posted by Diana B on 1/09/01 at 08:10 (036209)

Hi everyone, I've posted here before and read everything that is posted and a lot of my questions are answered before I ask them. However I don't have an answer to my forthcoming question. I've had a full release in Sept.00 and since coming out of the cast Ive had ankle pain. I first thought it was due to immobilization but it hasn't gotten any better. It has become worse. It is on the outside of my akle and across the top.It hurts in the morning and after sitting for even 5 minutes. And after walking for a period of time. Since the surgery I haven't had any heel pain which to me is a good thing. I do work on concrete floors and do a lot of walking. Now, what could this be and is it permanent or will it go away in time. I see my Pod at the end of this month and I want to know if there is anything I should ask him about. Thanks for your time.

Re: Stll have ankle pain

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/09/01 at 19:04 (036260)

When the plantar fascia is released you place additional weight bearing on the outside of your foot and ankle. This is called lateral ankle instability. Early aggressive treatment is very important. So call your doctor and set up an appointment as early as you can. Waiting will only make it worse. You need to remove the additional weight from the lateral aspect of our foot.

Diana B on 1/10/01 at 05:45 (036280)

Dr.Zuckerman, I already have orthotics, what else can remove the additional weight from the lateral side? Ive been trying to get off my feet as much as possible, but would changing from a walking job to just standing on a rubber mat be better or should I really be looking for a desk job? thanks for youur help.Ps I still do stretching everyday and I massage my foot often, do you think if I wear the night splint again it would help? and my foot also feel swollen all the time.

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/12/01 at 00:55 (036471)

Th orthosis need to have a wedge that exttends for the calcaneal-cuboid joint to the neck of the 5th metatarsal bone. This will place a butress support along the entire lenght of the 5th ray which is where you are have excessive weight distribution from the surgery done on your pf .

May need to be place into a boot cast or airl splint if the orthosi adjustment doesn't help

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/09/01 at 19:04 (036260)

When the plantar fascia is released you place additional weight bearing on the outside of your foot and ankle. This is called lateral ankle instability. Early aggressive treatment is very important. So call your doctor and set up an appointment as early as you can. Waiting will only make it worse. You need to remove the additional weight from the lateral aspect of our foot.

Diana B on 1/10/01 at 05:45 (036280)

Dr.Zuckerman, I already have orthotics, what else can remove the additional weight from the lateral side? Ive been trying to get off my feet as much as possible, but would changing from a walking job to just standing on a rubber mat be better or should I really be looking for a desk job? thanks for youur help.Ps I still do stretching everyday and I massage my foot often, do you think if I wear the night splint again it would help? and my foot also feel swollen all the time.

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/12/01 at 00:55 (036471)

Th orthosis need to have a wedge that exttends for the calcaneal-cuboid joint to the neck of the 5th metatarsal bone. This will place a butress support along the entire lenght of the 5th ray which is where you are have excessive weight distribution from the surgery done on your pf .

May need to be place into a boot cast or airl splint if the orthosi adjustment doesn't help