Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Has anyone tried Feldenkrais?

Posted by Nancy N on 1/09/01 at 09:10 (036214)

Hi, everybody. Our local Adult School is offering a course with the following description:

'Come learn how to restore mobility and get back into action! You will learn to move from the center of your body so that you
experience your whole body moving together in a unified way from your feet to your head. This allows overused or injured parts to heal quickly and effectively.

'The instructor is a licensed chiropractor and certified Feldenkrais teacher (movement coach), who has been in private practice more than 20 years. He has taught at various adult education centers, including Princeton and Cambridge, Massachusetts.'

I don't know anything about Feldenkrais, but for $30, I am thinking perhaps this is not a bad thing to try. I doubt that it'll cure my PF in four weeks, but maybe I'll learn something I can continue to apply later?

Anyway, I did a search on Feldenkrais and only found two mentions of it on the boards, and neither of them went into any detail. So if any of you are familiar with it, I'd love to know what your experience has been.

Thanks!

Re: Has anyone tried Feldenkrais?

Marsha K. on 1/09/01 at 11:06 (036220)

Hi...I am a firm believer in yoga and any general stretching and moving of the body. Go to feldenkrais.com and you can read lots. For $30, you cannot go wrong and I bet your body in general will feel better. Good luck and let us know more about it after your sessions. (:>)

Marsha K. on 1/09/01 at 11:36 (036222)

By reading the info. briefly, it isn't so much physical work to the body as mind work, but quite interesting. For $30, I would try it out...certainly cannot hurt. It is good to check out alternative ways to healing.

GinaC on 1/09/01 at 13:54 (036236)

I was given Feldenkrais exercises as part of physical therapy, along with trigger point massage. Although it did improve a painful back, it did nothing for my PF. It is a mind/body approach, but I felt the therapist was mostly trying to ease me out of activity by insisting that I slow down and do much less than I had been doing. Because of my impatience, his 'go slow, think about every aspect of every movement' admonitions, drove me crazy, but that's just me. The PT and I also had very different personal styles, so maybe his personal characteristics also turned me off Feldenkrais. I felt pressured to 'get religion' the way he was preaching it (have the same beliefs about Feldenkris that he did) and I resented it. My PF was no better after about 10-12 weeks of sessions (once or twice a week). I'm sure a class situation would be different from what I experienced one on one.

Nancy N on 1/10/01 at 08:14 (036290)

Actually, from what little I've read, I think Feldenkrais was Russian, John :)

Thanks to all of you for your input. My sister-in-law (who knows a lot about different alternative therapies now thanks to her bout with Lyme disease) tells me it should be worthwhile--that even if it doesn't help my feet, it should help my singing! Interesting...

Anyway, if I manage to get my head in gear to sign up for it, I'll let you all know how it goes.

Kay S on 1/10/01 at 08:53 (036295)

Nancy
Go for it!! I can't wait to hear what you do at the class. Maybe if it does you some good, some of us can request that class for our areas. (our park district does things like that all the time, but I have never seen this one) The thing I am most curious about is if you have to stand up to do this, because most of us wouldn't be able to do that. Keep us posted.
Kay

Nancy N on 1/10/01 at 10:14 (036313)

Hmm--the standing is a very good question. Can any of you with Feldenkrais experience vouch for how the exercises are done? I will try to remember to call the school and see if they can find out for me.

Barbara TX on 1/10/01 at 12:37 (036323)

Nancy - I didn't know that you sing... what do you sing? B.

john h on 1/10/01 at 16:41 (036339)

i continue to be amazed at the various tharapies that we find including some i have been through. keep them coming because i will try anything.

Re: To Nancy N.

Julie on 1/20/01 at 07:00 (036923)

Hi Nancy

The Feldenkrais system is good. It aims to make the practitioner more sensitive to what is going on in the bodymind, and to increase awareness on all levels. Like other of the more modern systems, it draws a lot on yoga. Most of the work is done on the floor, so it should be perfect for the foot-sufferer. It has been used very successfully with stroke patients, MS sufferers, etc. It IS done very slowly, and some people find this irritating. But of course no system is right for everyone.

Let us know how you get on.

I think Feldenkrais was Israeli, actually.

Julie

Nancy N on 1/20/01 at 09:41 (036930)

Julie--

Thanks so much for sharing your info. I signed up for the class on turesday--it's only a four-week class, but we'll see what happens within that class. This is the first time they've offered this particular class, so I can't get feedback on it from anyone. I get to be a guinea pig again!

As for Feldenkrais' nationality, I just checked the FAQ at Feldenkrais.com again, and here's what it says:

'The Feldenkrais Method is named after its originator, Dr. Moshe
Feldenkrais, D.Sc. (1904-1984) [see question 8], a Russian born physicist,
judo expert, mechanical engineer and educator.'

and later (in question 8)

'Feldenkrais was born in Russia. At the age of 13 he left his home and travelled
alone for a year until he reached Palestine, where he worked as a laborer,
cartographer and tutor in mathematics.'

so I guess we're both right!

Nancy

Marsha K. on 1/09/01 at 11:06 (036220)

Hi...I am a firm believer in yoga and any general stretching and moving of the body. Go to feldenkrais.com and you can read lots. For $30, you cannot go wrong and I bet your body in general will feel better. Good luck and let us know more about it after your sessions. (:>)

Marsha K. on 1/09/01 at 11:36 (036222)

By reading the info. briefly, it isn't so much physical work to the body as mind work, but quite interesting. For $30, I would try it out...certainly cannot hurt. It is good to check out alternative ways to healing.

GinaC on 1/09/01 at 13:54 (036236)

I was given Feldenkrais exercises as part of physical therapy, along with trigger point massage. Although it did improve a painful back, it did nothing for my PF. It is a mind/body approach, but I felt the therapist was mostly trying to ease me out of activity by insisting that I slow down and do much less than I had been doing. Because of my impatience, his 'go slow, think about every aspect of every movement' admonitions, drove me crazy, but that's just me. The PT and I also had very different personal styles, so maybe his personal characteristics also turned me off Feldenkrais. I felt pressured to 'get religion' the way he was preaching it (have the same beliefs about Feldenkris that he did) and I resented it. My PF was no better after about 10-12 weeks of sessions (once or twice a week). I'm sure a class situation would be different from what I experienced one on one.

Nancy N on 1/10/01 at 08:14 (036290)

Actually, from what little I've read, I think Feldenkrais was Russian, John :)

Thanks to all of you for your input. My sister-in-law (who knows a lot about different alternative therapies now thanks to her bout with Lyme disease) tells me it should be worthwhile--that even if it doesn't help my feet, it should help my singing! Interesting...

Anyway, if I manage to get my head in gear to sign up for it, I'll let you all know how it goes.

Kay S on 1/10/01 at 08:53 (036295)

Nancy
Go for it!! I can't wait to hear what you do at the class. Maybe if it does you some good, some of us can request that class for our areas. (our park district does things like that all the time, but I have never seen this one) The thing I am most curious about is if you have to stand up to do this, because most of us wouldn't be able to do that. Keep us posted.
Kay

Nancy N on 1/10/01 at 10:14 (036313)

Hmm--the standing is a very good question. Can any of you with Feldenkrais experience vouch for how the exercises are done? I will try to remember to call the school and see if they can find out for me.

Barbara TX on 1/10/01 at 12:37 (036323)

Nancy - I didn't know that you sing... what do you sing? B.

john h on 1/10/01 at 16:41 (036339)

i continue to be amazed at the various tharapies that we find including some i have been through. keep them coming because i will try anything.

Julie on 1/20/01 at 07:00 (036923)

Hi Nancy

The Feldenkrais system is good. It aims to make the practitioner more sensitive to what is going on in the bodymind, and to increase awareness on all levels. Like other of the more modern systems, it draws a lot on yoga. Most of the work is done on the floor, so it should be perfect for the foot-sufferer. It has been used very successfully with stroke patients, MS sufferers, etc. It IS done very slowly, and some people find this irritating. But of course no system is right for everyone.

Let us know how you get on.

I think Feldenkrais was Israeli, actually.

Julie

Nancy N on 1/20/01 at 09:41 (036930)

Julie--

Thanks so much for sharing your info. I signed up for the class on turesday--it's only a four-week class, but we'll see what happens within that class. This is the first time they've offered this particular class, so I can't get feedback on it from anyone. I get to be a guinea pig again!

As for Feldenkrais' nationality, I just checked the FAQ at Feldenkrais.com again, and here's what it says:

'The Feldenkrais Method is named after its originator, Dr. Moshe
Feldenkrais, D.Sc. (1904-1984) [see question 8], a Russian born physicist,
judo expert, mechanical engineer and educator.'

and later (in question 8)

'Feldenkrais was born in Russia. At the age of 13 he left his home and travelled
alone for a year until he reached Palestine, where he worked as a laborer,
cartographer and tutor in mathematics.'

so I guess we're both right!

Nancy