Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

a bit of new info...........

Posted by JudyS on 1/09/01 at 15:03 (036239)

Hi folks - I had a visit with my Pod the other day and he mentioned a couple of things that were new to me - well sort of. One, he said that, when you're buying new running shoes, if you push on the heal pad of the shoe, from the inside, and you actually feel a lump there, you don't want the shoe. This because many running shoes are made with that extra cushioning in the heel, but it's in a concentrated area which may actually irritate a heel spur. It feels like a lump in the heel cup of the shoe.
And the other thing - well, I was flabbergasted. HE started to tell ME about this awsome new electric shock therapy! Seems that his dept. learned about the ESWT treatment during a staff meeting and they're all a ga-ga about it's potential! And this from an HMO doc! 'But Doc', I said, 'I told YOU about this therapy a month ago'. In fact I had even given him a printout about it from this website! That stirred his memory and he said that he'd even shared that printout at a staff meeting. I told him a little bit about the difference in the machines and the treatments but I think I'll compile something more definitive for him.
So hey - the ESWT stuff is finally making its way even in to the HMOs.

Re: a bit of new info...........

Karin L. on 1/09/01 at 16:16 (036242)

Judy,
Cool that the news is finally making the rounds! About shoes...my pod told me to turn the shoe upside down so the bottom is facing up, & try to bwend the shoe. If you can bend it, this is not a good shoe for PF. It must be hard to bend or apparently the support is no good. I am firm (no pun intended) believer in New Balance, particularly the 851's & 608's.
Karin

karin on 1/09/01 at 18:36 (036248)

the 853's are the latest version of the 851. same shoe just different color. For the past 2 months i have been in SAS with the Footmax orthotic dr z suggested many months ago and this seems to be a great combination for me. i have been up and down on orthotics in general (pun) but am currently in the up mode.

john h on 1/09/01 at 18:37 (036249)

my post about the 853's came up under Karins name. sorry!

JudyS on 1/10/01 at 11:03 (036317)

Karin - I've been looking for those 851's. I stopped in a Lady's Footlocker the other day and was told they'd been replaced by 853's and now even 855's! I'll probably try Just For Feet this week sometime.

Karin L. on 1/10/01 at 13:46 (036327)

Judy,
Go to newbalance.com...I just went to our local New Balance store this past Sat. & bought the 851's, the same ones I bought 4 months ago. I would imagine they also have a toll free no. I usually wear a med. width, but with the New Balance, I wear a wide. Hope you find them, they are wonderful!
Karin

Karin L. on 1/09/01 at 16:16 (036242)

Judy,
Cool that the news is finally making the rounds! About shoes...my pod told me to turn the shoe upside down so the bottom is facing up, & try to bwend the shoe. If you can bend it, this is not a good shoe for PF. It must be hard to bend or apparently the support is no good. I am firm (no pun intended) believer in New Balance, particularly the 851's & 608's.
Karin

karin on 1/09/01 at 18:36 (036248)

the 853's are the latest version of the 851. same shoe just different color. For the past 2 months i have been in SAS with the Footmax orthotic dr z suggested many months ago and this seems to be a great combination for me. i have been up and down on orthotics in general (pun) but am currently in the up mode.

john h on 1/09/01 at 18:37 (036249)

my post about the 853's came up under Karins name. sorry!

JudyS on 1/10/01 at 11:03 (036317)

Karin - I've been looking for those 851's. I stopped in a Lady's Footlocker the other day and was told they'd been replaced by 853's and now even 855's! I'll probably try Just For Feet this week sometime.

Karin L. on 1/10/01 at 13:46 (036327)

Judy,
Go to newbalance.com...I just went to our local New Balance store this past Sat. & bought the 851's, the same ones I bought 4 months ago. I would imagine they also have a toll free no. I usually wear a med. width, but with the New Balance, I wear a wide. Hope you find them, they are wonderful!
Karin