Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Post op pain and restricted movement

Posted by LauraJ on 1/09/01 at 18:17 (036246)

I had surgery approx 9 weeks ago to release the plantar's fascia as well as neurolysis of the calcaneal nerve. During the procedure it was also
necessary to due a vein ligation. I work as an intensive care unit nurse and am on my feet 12 hours a night. I have just worked 2 consecutive shifts and find that within the first 4-5 hours after starting my shift I am unable to tolerate wearing shoes and have to limp for the rest of the shift.My doctor recommended that I stay out for an additional 4 weeks but due to financial reasons I am unable to comply. The pain runs across the top of my foot, I also still have a lot of heel discomfort. In fact, I'm inclined to think it is as bad if not worse than it was before surgery. I also have a lot of scar tenderness and am wearing a sock with gel pads and using cortisone cream to reduce the inflammation. I am extremely concerned that I made a grave mistake having surgery as I am looking at a drastic change in careers if I am not able to get some relief of this discomfort. Could this be something that will be permanent? Should I wait and see if there is improvement before becoming alarmed.

Re: Post op pain and restricted movement

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/09/01 at 18:57 (036256)

You had alot of foot surgery. I would advise at least a boot cast to get the weight off the area that is trying to heal. A persone weighting 100 lbs who take 3000 steps daily will place about 125,000 lbs of weight into the foot and the area that you just had surgery on. Continual hoping that the foot will get better will only make the foot and lower extremely worse.

If the boot cast doesn't help then ESWT can be used. I have used it for patients with a long pain healing period

Kay S on 1/10/01 at 09:10 (036296)

Laura--I can surely understand your fears. I am a nurse too and know what you have to go through in your job, and how it doesn't matter how much YOU hurt when you have one crisis after another to be responsible for. Is it possible for you to just work midnights, 8 hours, rather than 12 hour shifts? And even though this doesn't make sense to me, I wear my orthotics with my New Balance 990's for half the time, and then switch to Anywears clogs and the change gives some relief for a short time. If my feet hurt too bad, I go back to the NB. For whatever reason, the switching gives me some temporary relief. Have you tried taping?
Unfortunately, I think the recovery is a lot longer than your doctor told you. Keep coming to this board and asking questions. Lots of people have good suggestions to help you. Good luck.
Kay

LAURA J. on 1/10/01 at 16:43 (036341)

WHAT TIME FRAME ARE WE TALKING ABOUT AS FAR AS RECOVERY FROM SURGERY? HOW LONG WILL I NEED TO GIVE BEFORE I BECOME CONCERNED THAT THINGS ARE NOT PROGRESSING AS THEY SHOULD?

LAURA J on 1/11/01 at 08:19 (036395)

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE. SOMETIMES I FIND THAT NURSES ARE NOT TAKEN SERIOUSLY NOR ARE THEY ALLOWED TO BE SICK BECAUSE WE HAVE TO TAKE CARE OF OTHERS. I HAVE FOUND THERE IS A STEREOTYPE WHEN A NURSE IS THE PATIENT. BECAUSE YOU HAVE ENOUGH KNOWLEDGE TO ASK INTELLIGENT QUESTIONS YOU FIND THERE ARE SOME PEOPLE THAT ARE UNCOMFORTABLE HAVING TO ANSWER THOSE QUESTIONS. I HAVE BECOME INCREASINGLY FRUSTRATED SINCE SURGERY BECAUSE I HAVE A FAMILY AND NEED TO BE DOING THINGS THAT I PROBABLY SHOULDN'T RIGHT NOW. WHEN THERE IS SOMETHING TO BE DONE IT'S DIFFICULT TO SAY THAT YOU DON'T FEEL UP TO IT. SO YOU DO IT ANYWAY DESPITE THE PAIN. I WONDER IF THIS IS COMMON AMONG NURSES AS THEY SPEND A GREAT DEAL OF TIME ON THEIR FEET? I KNOW QUITE A FEW THAT HAVE HAD TO HAVE STEROID INJECTIONS ECT...THANKS AGAIN FOR WRITING, IT HELPS TO KNOW THERE ARE PEOPLE OUT THERE WHO UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU'RE GOING THROUGH

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/09/01 at 18:57 (036256)

You had alot of foot surgery. I would advise at least a boot cast to get the weight off the area that is trying to heal. A persone weighting 100 lbs who take 3000 steps daily will place about 125,000 lbs of weight into the foot and the area that you just had surgery on. Continual hoping that the foot will get better will only make the foot and lower extremely worse.

If the boot cast doesn't help then ESWT can be used. I have used it for patients with a long pain healing period

Kay S on 1/10/01 at 09:10 (036296)

Laura--I can surely understand your fears. I am a nurse too and know what you have to go through in your job, and how it doesn't matter how much YOU hurt when you have one crisis after another to be responsible for. Is it possible for you to just work midnights, 8 hours, rather than 12 hour shifts? And even though this doesn't make sense to me, I wear my orthotics with my New Balance 990's for half the time, and then switch to Anywears clogs and the change gives some relief for a short time. If my feet hurt too bad, I go back to the NB. For whatever reason, the switching gives me some temporary relief. Have you tried taping?
Unfortunately, I think the recovery is a lot longer than your doctor told you. Keep coming to this board and asking questions. Lots of people have good suggestions to help you. Good luck.
Kay

LAURA J. on 1/10/01 at 16:43 (036341)

WHAT TIME FRAME ARE WE TALKING ABOUT AS FAR AS RECOVERY FROM SURGERY? HOW LONG WILL I NEED TO GIVE BEFORE I BECOME CONCERNED THAT THINGS ARE NOT PROGRESSING AS THEY SHOULD?

LAURA J on 1/11/01 at 08:19 (036395)

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE. SOMETIMES I FIND THAT NURSES ARE NOT TAKEN SERIOUSLY NOR ARE THEY ALLOWED TO BE SICK BECAUSE WE HAVE TO TAKE CARE OF OTHERS. I HAVE FOUND THERE IS A STEREOTYPE WHEN A NURSE IS THE PATIENT. BECAUSE YOU HAVE ENOUGH KNOWLEDGE TO ASK INTELLIGENT QUESTIONS YOU FIND THERE ARE SOME PEOPLE THAT ARE UNCOMFORTABLE HAVING TO ANSWER THOSE QUESTIONS. I HAVE BECOME INCREASINGLY FRUSTRATED SINCE SURGERY BECAUSE I HAVE A FAMILY AND NEED TO BE DOING THINGS THAT I PROBABLY SHOULDN'T RIGHT NOW. WHEN THERE IS SOMETHING TO BE DONE IT'S DIFFICULT TO SAY THAT YOU DON'T FEEL UP TO IT. SO YOU DO IT ANYWAY DESPITE THE PAIN. I WONDER IF THIS IS COMMON AMONG NURSES AS THEY SPEND A GREAT DEAL OF TIME ON THEIR FEET? I KNOW QUITE A FEW THAT HAVE HAD TO HAVE STEROID INJECTIONS ECT...THANKS AGAIN FOR WRITING, IT HELPS TO KNOW THERE ARE PEOPLE OUT THERE WHO UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU'RE GOING THROUGH