Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

They Hurt me!!!!!

Posted by salina on 1/10/01 at 16:06 (036333)

In pt, they decided I needed more aggresive stretching. They used to just have me sit and stretch with the towel. But today they made me stand a couple of feet from a wall, put my bad foot, toes flexed, against the wall, heel on floor, toes still flexed on the wall. Then stretch bent knee and then straight knee. And my arch is on fire now!!!
They said I have to stretch through the pain, and just be prepared for it to get more painful before it gets better. And of course there is some receptionist sitting there, in her skinny high heels, swearing she had plantar fasciitis for A DAY, did the stretches, and was healed. So I wanted to slap her as I limped out the door. But I didn't, cause I have to go back tomorrow, and I have to go through her to get to the pt guy. :)

Could this be true? That I do need to toughen up and be more aggressive?
Is there someone on this board that thinks they had success with stretching, even when it hurts? That this could work?
Could it be that it just hurts me more than some people because its my entire arch that is in pain? Like, if I had more pain in the heel part instead of the arch part, maybe I wouldn't be in so much pain from stretching. ya think??
I'm icing and icing and icing. And its still a throbbing and a throbbing!!
But I think I could handle it better if I was thinking its going to help.

Oh yeah, and the ultrasound aint doin a thang for me either!!!
So guess that's my feedback report on this machine. So disappointed.
This whole week is one big disappointment.

Re: They Hurt me!!!!!

salina on 1/10/01 at 16:14 (036334)

Since I couldn't do a good job of explaining what kind of stretch I did, here is another go at it.
Under 'Products' on this site, I went to 'Prostretch' this product for sale to stretch the fascia, and there it was, that is exactly how I stretched my feet. Only not with that product. My toes were flexed against the wall. just thought I would try to explain better. So I guess this IS a supposedly good stretch. But what pain!!!!

john h on 1/10/01 at 16:36 (036338)

i am glad it is you and not me salina! i will be interested to see if stretching through the pain works. good luck and keep us posted.

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/10/01 at 16:49 (036342)

How about stretching up to the pain and not thru. Each day increase and increase. Are they trying to break up scar tissue. ?? Where is this scar tissue.

Dr. Biehler on 1/10/01 at 18:40 (036352)

Streching through the pain sounds as if they are inadvertantly trying for a controled tear of the plantar fascia hoping that it will jump start the healing process. Dr. B.

Nancy N on 1/10/01 at 18:55 (036354)

Dr. B--

Do you think tearing the fascia is a good idea?? I didn't do a stretch that sounds exactly like what Salina's describing, but I know I felt much better when I stopped doing any sort of stretch that hurt. Is it possible that the opposite could work?

AnnabelM on 1/10/01 at 20:20 (036363)

My personal opinion, having been through PT with no success and a lot of added pain, Is. 'If it hurts dont do it'

Re: Salina, Re: the Pro-Stretch

Kim B. on 1/10/01 at 21:22 (036365)

Hi Salina,

I have the Step Calf Stretch, which is identical to the Pro-Stretch you mentioned in your previous post. This kind of stretching device puts your foot in that cradled looking position, and while the fascia is slightly involved, the target of the stretch is the calf and Achilles areas, (depending on how much the knee is bent, technique, etc.) but not targeted at the fascia.

I wouldn't think you should deliberately stretch the fascia the way you described, Ouch! My fascia does get a bit of a release but it is mainly a result of loosening the muscles and tendons in the calf areas. Chain reaction kind of thing.

I've had some good results with the Step Calf Stretch. It is also designed to strengthen isolated muscles too. There is so much more to these products than can be represented in one picture. I am mentioning these things so that you, or someone else, doesn't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

When I was trying to learn wall stretches, it was often hit or miss. I hurt myself about half of the time. One of the best things about this product is that it puts your foot in the correct position to get a beneficial and safe stretch each time. Which is precisely why I ordered it. You'd almost have to go out of your way to hurt yourself with one of these things. I bought mine from a place offering a money back guarantee. For many PFers, this is a product worth keeping, and believe me, I've bought enough foot misery products to know.

It's not an instant cure, but it helps manage the pain and it helps a lot. After having used it for a couple of weeks, I noticed significant improvement in the stiffness of the muscles in my calf and Achilles areas. Now, if I get way behind on my stretches, I hop on the Step Stretch and I honestly get some immediate relief, but, I had to work up to that level.

I'm curious, were you barefooted or wearing supportive shoes at the time you were doing the wall stretches?

It's like my Momma always used to say: 'Physical Therapy is like a box of chocolates... you never know what you'll get!' With all the Fibromyalgia problems I've had to deal with, I been through a lot of Physical Therapists. Some were great, some were okay, and one was the PT from hell. She had PF (for a couple of weeks) too. Hasn't everyone?

Hang in there. If you pick up even one or two beneficial things, when it's all said and done, it will (hopefully) make it worth your while. Good luck, I hope you feel foot loose and fancy free soon.

Regards, Kim B.

Bob G. on 1/11/01 at 07:35 (036390)

Dear Salina,

I am sorry to learn of your painful experience. The pain is awful, I know. I had it and made it worse by over stretching. Only until after months of REST was I able to get back to gentle stretching. Now, after months of being pain-free am I able to do more aggressive stretching. I am now running five miles several times a week, pain-free.

While I was in total REST mode I was wearing the nightsplint and strassberg sock which I know hastened my recovery. I cannot imagine stretching while in pain, but not everybody is alike. Good luck! BG

Karin L. on 1/11/01 at 09:07 (036397)

Salina,
Sorry you're having so many problems with PT. I went thru almost the same pain as you, twice, & found no relief. The stretches seemed to help some, but the next day I was back to stage one & had to start over with no relief. I had whirlpool, massage, ultrasound & nothing worked. I agree with Annabel, if it hurts that much, don't do it. Keep us posted.
Karin

salina on 1/11/01 at 10:25 (036403)

Thanks to all of you. Yeah, sure John, let me be the guinea pig, isn't that the Army way?? I did hear a few womanly screams coming from a big green beret while in there, but I saw him walk out like a man, so maybe they do know what they are doing.
Seriously though, I think their point is, its been over a year, and still every little bit of stretch seems to hurt my arch. So their reasoning is, I have babied it for too long, (I don't know how wearing nightsplints every night for months is babying) but they told me I have to push myself a little harder, and do more types of stretching. Especially since I have the whole issue where my toes don't want to flex back either. EVERYTHING, every flex type move hurts my arch though and that is what makes stretching painful and me not to want to do them.

BUT, I made it through the night, actually painfree. Can't explain it. Dang foot throbbed and burned all day long, maybe the ibu kicked in, or the ice, by nighttime. Or maybe.....they know what they are talking about.
I have to go back this morning. But as usual, I have to wait for a follow up with some doc next week, to see about getting some more app. I guess i was supposed to be all healed in this one week???
I am going to dust off my FootFlex and try using it every day. Being sure to ice afterwards.

Kim, I do remember you saying something about the calfstepstretch. I looked at the instructions for the prostretch some more also, and I think the supportive shoes make a big difference while using it.
They had me stand barefoot. I definately won't be doing that today!!
Doing this kind of stretching while using one of these products looks a lot more controlled than what they had me doing against the wall.
I am also popping some heavy ibu before going this morning. In case they try something strange and painful. And that little receptionist had better remain behind her desk, cause I am sportin a headache along with the footpain this morning. :)
thanks to all

Cynthia on 1/11/01 at 10:27 (036404)

I went to a new pt yesterday (after giving up on pt 18 months ago) and she had me do exactly what you described except I did not bend my knee. I'm not an expert, but from years of aerobic training and being professionally stretched out, I feel bending your knee when you are trying this for the first time made the stretch too deep. I liked what my pt told me to do - same thing but don't bend your knee. Maybe you can try it this way for a while until it is more flexible, then way in the future, increase the stretch by bending your knee.

I read about the new device for stretching (can't remember the name) and what the pt that invented it said made total sense about the large toe being involved when I read about it. Sometimes I get a burning fire sensation under my big toes and just made the connection when I read what he wrote that the big toe needs to be flexible to properly walk. My pt lifted up my big toes and she said my range of motion was very low. She showed me her range and her toe came up to a 90 degree angle and she said this was normal. Maybe you should have them test your range of motion and tailor how far you stretch your toes to your own level of flexibility.

Hope this helps. PS I had my first pain-free night last night, and today isn't too bad. I attribute it to day 3 on Vioxx.

Re: To all

salina on 1/11/01 at 10:49 (036409)

Hi, I think you hit it on the nail, Dr. Beiler (sp?, hey, its early here :)
I remember them saying how I need to be prepared to actually go through several weeks of feeling slightly increased pain, then if I keep it up faithfully (aggressive stretching, nightsplints, icing) it should begin to start healing again, WITH the flexibility I need.
You all have some good advice, and helpful personal experiences that you have shared with me about this, thank you guys.
Unfortunately I still feel like I am standing a fork in the road. :)
I guess this is how we all feel at times while trying to decide on what works for us. So frustrating!!
I am still in shock that today, although still in pain, my foot isn't swollen or worse.

I hear you guys 'Rest first, then stretch' Its been over a year for me though, and still nothing. I may need to bite the bullet on this one and just go for it. I am running out of options, and I'm not anywhere near Dr. Zuckerman's zapper, and the doc I have keeps talking surgery.
So its not looking too good for this foot as it is. I am going to have to really weigh the options myself, since it will take another month probably for these guys to set me up with more pt anyway.
I will let yall know how things are going. Best wishes to everyone

Andrea on 1/11/01 at 11:03 (036412)

From what I have read the arch is not suppose to be stretched but the calf muscles that are tight and pulling in the arch. Do you have pro stretch or step stretch. They really work and and help you stand in the proper position. But remember to wear sneakers when stretching!!

I have had PF for almost a year and have tried, PT, stretching, icing, Naprosyn (RX anti-inflamitory), orthotics, Birkenstocks and a night splint. These things have helped a little bit but I beleive I have finally found something that really works along with these things...Glucosamine. It's a nutritional supplement that helps build cartiledge/tissue in joints that you can find in a drug store. I have been taking it 3 times a day for the past 5 days and have felt a big difference in my feet. I no longer feel like I am walking on pieces of glass. The pain is much duller and I actually forget about my feet for awhile.

Hope things work out for you.

Re: Glucosamine

salina on 1/11/01 at 11:14 (036415)

Hi, what brand of glucosamine are you taking?
I was trying to check that stuff out at the stores, but it seemed so confusing, because there are so many different brands, and different combination such as with Chondroitin. Is yours a combination with other stuff or just straight glucosamine? I am very interested in your response to this. Seems as if you are having some really good results with it.
Keep everyone posted on it, OK, if it continues to do well for you.
thanks
I am frustrated over this here arch of mine. I don't understand why it hurts, even during stretches that aren't even designed to be working it.
I stretch my legs everyday, and even while sitting on the floor, legs in front, feet NOT EVEN FLEXED, when I bend forward to stretch my legs I actually feel it in my arch. Plain weird.
when I wear the nightsplints, it hurts my arch for the first hour. I am soooo tight I guess.
I am thinking maybe the glucosamine stuff would help with this a little.

Barbara TX on 1/11/01 at 12:29 (036428)

I have BEEN THERE AND DONE THAT. You poor woman! I can't tell you what to do, but I'll tell you what I did. I quit stretching for a long,long time and it REALLY helped. I had horrible achilles pain all around the rim of my heel, radiating to the center, and that stopped when the stretching stopped. I know that stretching is one of the gold standard things that you do, but I really do believe that pain is our bodies way of saying BACK OFF. Don't let anyome hurt you more. That doesn't seem to make good medical sense to me. I know Dr. B told you they might be 'going for a controlled tear.' That is granting them the benefit of the doubt for sure, which is a kindness that may not be owed to them. You should ask if this is the case, but I bet they are clueless about tearing anything. If you ask, you'll know for sure about the thought that they put into this treatment plan. Asking about specifics really helped me to decide just what to do. If someting sounded bogus, I moved on. I really do hope you feel better soon. Although I deeply respect doctors, what my body says comes first even if it tells me amazing things like 'go barefoot.' I hope you feel some relief soon. Am I crazy, or do I recall that you actually CAN'T stretch the plantar fasacia - it is really hard to even CUT through it. All my best to you today, Salina. You are a real trouper. Anyone yet who does ESWT in Hawaii? B.

Re: To Salina

Kim B. on 1/11/01 at 16:23 (036439)

Salina,

Just explain to the PTs that your gut instinct (and your support group) tells you that 'if it hurts, just don't do it!' It's that simple.

Always trust your (women's) intuition when in doubt. It's a gift from God that is stonger in women than men. (Sorry fellas, but that's a fact.) I think it gets stronger with each child you give birth to or raise up. If so, yours should be pretty darn sharp by now!

Also, watch the ibuprophen, too much will give some people stomach and colon pain and disturbance. Vioxx is expensive, but it is the only anti-inflamm that didn't spaz my tummy and colon out, I mentions this incase you have a good doc, and a precription card to go with it.

Tell your doc that surgery is not an option unless he can put it in writing that it will be 100% successful and there is no risk of scar tissue or nerve damage problems afterward. That will shut him up. Tell him that until there is a safe cure that is readily available to you, he can't cure you, but he has an hippocratic obligation to help you manage your pain.

You are in charge of YOU!

Regards, Kim B.

Barbara TX on 1/11/01 at 22:50 (036462)

Yes I am a barefooter - but I would never be before ESWT. I think that its the complications from having pf so long that have cause a host of other things that make barefoot feel best. I still have a profound limp. B.

Re: Bare footin'

Kim B. on 1/12/01 at 00:41 (036467)

Salina, I too am now able to go barefooted, but, ONLY on plush carpet, occasionally, and it feeeels verrry gooood. Berber carpet and tile flooring is still pretty much a no no, even though I can get by with it without immediate pain. Like you, at one time, I abslutely couldn't walk from my bed to the bathroom without putting my supportive shoes on in the middle of the night. Don't give up! Barefootin' is probably in the cards for you too.

Here is something to think about: I think that PF misery is alot like childbirth. They say after a while, you forget how painful the labor truly was. I remind my self alot about how debilitating PF is when it's at it's worse. I never want to end up there again. So, I shant push my luck with too much barefootin. (Tex Barb, you listening?!)

Kim B.

Andrea on 1/12/01 at 14:28 (036491)

Ok, here's what I have found on the web. Glucosamine has been tested in clinical trials which concluded that it was safe and effective for treatment of osteoarthritis, not what we have but I have read that this may also be effective on PF. The study says that 500 mg of Gluc was effective in relieving pain and range of motion. It looks like glocosamine with chondrotin sulfate may even be better as it says it has been reported to maintian viscosity in joints, stimulate cartilage repair mechanism and inhibit enzymes that break down cartiledge. I think I will go out and try this too.

While we do not have problems with cartiledge it apparently has worked on the pain in my feet and I hope it will continue to get better. Even if it doesn't, a little bit of relief has made me happier.

Oh yes, don't worry about the name brand of the gluc just make sure it contains 500mg.

If you search the website for gluc you will find plenty of info on it.

Hope it works for you. And keep on stretching..slowly.

salina on 1/10/01 at 16:14 (036334)

Since I couldn't do a good job of explaining what kind of stretch I did, here is another go at it.
Under 'Products' on this site, I went to 'Prostretch' this product for sale to stretch the fascia, and there it was, that is exactly how I stretched my feet. Only not with that product. My toes were flexed against the wall. just thought I would try to explain better. So I guess this IS a supposedly good stretch. But what pain!!!!

john h on 1/10/01 at 16:36 (036338)

i am glad it is you and not me salina! i will be interested to see if stretching through the pain works. good luck and keep us posted.

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/10/01 at 16:49 (036342)

How about stretching up to the pain and not thru. Each day increase and increase. Are they trying to break up scar tissue. ?? Where is this scar tissue.

Dr. Biehler on 1/10/01 at 18:40 (036352)

Streching through the pain sounds as if they are inadvertantly trying for a controled tear of the plantar fascia hoping that it will jump start the healing process. Dr. B.

Nancy N on 1/10/01 at 18:55 (036354)

Dr. B--

Do you think tearing the fascia is a good idea?? I didn't do a stretch that sounds exactly like what Salina's describing, but I know I felt much better when I stopped doing any sort of stretch that hurt. Is it possible that the opposite could work?

AnnabelM on 1/10/01 at 20:20 (036363)

My personal opinion, having been through PT with no success and a lot of added pain, Is. 'If it hurts dont do it'

Re: Salina, Re: the Pro-Stretch

Kim B. on 1/10/01 at 21:22 (036365)

Hi Salina,

I have the Step Calf Stretch, which is identical to the Pro-Stretch you mentioned in your previous post. This kind of stretching device puts your foot in that cradled looking position, and while the fascia is slightly involved, the target of the stretch is the calf and Achilles areas, (depending on how much the knee is bent, technique, etc.) but not targeted at the fascia.

I wouldn't think you should deliberately stretch the fascia the way you described, Ouch! My fascia does get a bit of a release but it is mainly a result of loosening the muscles and tendons in the calf areas. Chain reaction kind of thing.

I've had some good results with the Step Calf Stretch. It is also designed to strengthen isolated muscles too. There is so much more to these products than can be represented in one picture. I am mentioning these things so that you, or someone else, doesn't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

When I was trying to learn wall stretches, it was often hit or miss. I hurt myself about half of the time. One of the best things about this product is that it puts your foot in the correct position to get a beneficial and safe stretch each time. Which is precisely why I ordered it. You'd almost have to go out of your way to hurt yourself with one of these things. I bought mine from a place offering a money back guarantee. For many PFers, this is a product worth keeping, and believe me, I've bought enough foot misery products to know.

It's not an instant cure, but it helps manage the pain and it helps a lot. After having used it for a couple of weeks, I noticed significant improvement in the stiffness of the muscles in my calf and Achilles areas. Now, if I get way behind on my stretches, I hop on the Step Stretch and I honestly get some immediate relief, but, I had to work up to that level.

I'm curious, were you barefooted or wearing supportive shoes at the time you were doing the wall stretches?

It's like my Momma always used to say: 'Physical Therapy is like a box of chocolates... you never know what you'll get!' With all the Fibromyalgia problems I've had to deal with, I been through a lot of Physical Therapists. Some were great, some were okay, and one was the PT from hell. She had PF (for a couple of weeks) too. Hasn't everyone?

Hang in there. If you pick up even one or two beneficial things, when it's all said and done, it will (hopefully) make it worth your while. Good luck, I hope you feel foot loose and fancy free soon.

Regards, Kim B.

Bob G. on 1/11/01 at 07:35 (036390)

Dear Salina,

I am sorry to learn of your painful experience. The pain is awful, I know. I had it and made it worse by over stretching. Only until after months of REST was I able to get back to gentle stretching. Now, after months of being pain-free am I able to do more aggressive stretching. I am now running five miles several times a week, pain-free.

While I was in total REST mode I was wearing the nightsplint and strassberg sock which I know hastened my recovery. I cannot imagine stretching while in pain, but not everybody is alike. Good luck! BG

Karin L. on 1/11/01 at 09:07 (036397)

Salina,
Sorry you're having so many problems with PT. I went thru almost the same pain as you, twice, & found no relief. The stretches seemed to help some, but the next day I was back to stage one & had to start over with no relief. I had whirlpool, massage, ultrasound & nothing worked. I agree with Annabel, if it hurts that much, don't do it. Keep us posted.
Karin

salina on 1/11/01 at 10:25 (036403)

Thanks to all of you. Yeah, sure John, let me be the guinea pig, isn't that the Army way?? I did hear a few womanly screams coming from a big green beret while in there, but I saw him walk out like a man, so maybe they do know what they are doing.
Seriously though, I think their point is, its been over a year, and still every little bit of stretch seems to hurt my arch. So their reasoning is, I have babied it for too long, (I don't know how wearing nightsplints every night for months is babying) but they told me I have to push myself a little harder, and do more types of stretching. Especially since I have the whole issue where my toes don't want to flex back either. EVERYTHING, every flex type move hurts my arch though and that is what makes stretching painful and me not to want to do them.

BUT, I made it through the night, actually painfree. Can't explain it. Dang foot throbbed and burned all day long, maybe the ibu kicked in, or the ice, by nighttime. Or maybe.....they know what they are talking about.
I have to go back this morning. But as usual, I have to wait for a follow up with some doc next week, to see about getting some more app. I guess i was supposed to be all healed in this one week???
I am going to dust off my FootFlex and try using it every day. Being sure to ice afterwards.

Kim, I do remember you saying something about the calfstepstretch. I looked at the instructions for the prostretch some more also, and I think the supportive shoes make a big difference while using it.
They had me stand barefoot. I definately won't be doing that today!!
Doing this kind of stretching while using one of these products looks a lot more controlled than what they had me doing against the wall.
I am also popping some heavy ibu before going this morning. In case they try something strange and painful. And that little receptionist had better remain behind her desk, cause I am sportin a headache along with the footpain this morning. :)
thanks to all

Cynthia on 1/11/01 at 10:27 (036404)

I went to a new pt yesterday (after giving up on pt 18 months ago) and she had me do exactly what you described except I did not bend my knee. I'm not an expert, but from years of aerobic training and being professionally stretched out, I feel bending your knee when you are trying this for the first time made the stretch too deep. I liked what my pt told me to do - same thing but don't bend your knee. Maybe you can try it this way for a while until it is more flexible, then way in the future, increase the stretch by bending your knee.

I read about the new device for stretching (can't remember the name) and what the pt that invented it said made total sense about the large toe being involved when I read about it. Sometimes I get a burning fire sensation under my big toes and just made the connection when I read what he wrote that the big toe needs to be flexible to properly walk. My pt lifted up my big toes and she said my range of motion was very low. She showed me her range and her toe came up to a 90 degree angle and she said this was normal. Maybe you should have them test your range of motion and tailor how far you stretch your toes to your own level of flexibility.

Hope this helps. PS I had my first pain-free night last night, and today isn't too bad. I attribute it to day 3 on Vioxx.

Re: To all

salina on 1/11/01 at 10:49 (036409)

Hi, I think you hit it on the nail, Dr. Beiler (sp?, hey, its early here :)
I remember them saying how I need to be prepared to actually go through several weeks of feeling slightly increased pain, then if I keep it up faithfully (aggressive stretching, nightsplints, icing) it should begin to start healing again, WITH the flexibility I need.
You all have some good advice, and helpful personal experiences that you have shared with me about this, thank you guys.
Unfortunately I still feel like I am standing a fork in the road. :)
I guess this is how we all feel at times while trying to decide on what works for us. So frustrating!!
I am still in shock that today, although still in pain, my foot isn't swollen or worse.

I hear you guys 'Rest first, then stretch' Its been over a year for me though, and still nothing. I may need to bite the bullet on this one and just go for it. I am running out of options, and I'm not anywhere near Dr. Zuckerman's zapper, and the doc I have keeps talking surgery.
So its not looking too good for this foot as it is. I am going to have to really weigh the options myself, since it will take another month probably for these guys to set me up with more pt anyway.
I will let yall know how things are going. Best wishes to everyone

Andrea on 1/11/01 at 11:03 (036412)

From what I have read the arch is not suppose to be stretched but the calf muscles that are tight and pulling in the arch. Do you have pro stretch or step stretch. They really work and and help you stand in the proper position. But remember to wear sneakers when stretching!!

I have had PF for almost a year and have tried, PT, stretching, icing, Naprosyn (RX anti-inflamitory), orthotics, Birkenstocks and a night splint. These things have helped a little bit but I beleive I have finally found something that really works along with these things...Glucosamine. It's a nutritional supplement that helps build cartiledge/tissue in joints that you can find in a drug store. I have been taking it 3 times a day for the past 5 days and have felt a big difference in my feet. I no longer feel like I am walking on pieces of glass. The pain is much duller and I actually forget about my feet for awhile.

Hope things work out for you.

salina on 1/11/01 at 11:14 (036415)

Hi, what brand of glucosamine are you taking?
I was trying to check that stuff out at the stores, but it seemed so confusing, because there are so many different brands, and different combination such as with Chondroitin. Is yours a combination with other stuff or just straight glucosamine? I am very interested in your response to this. Seems as if you are having some really good results with it.
Keep everyone posted on it, OK, if it continues to do well for you.
thanks
I am frustrated over this here arch of mine. I don't understand why it hurts, even during stretches that aren't even designed to be working it.
I stretch my legs everyday, and even while sitting on the floor, legs in front, feet NOT EVEN FLEXED, when I bend forward to stretch my legs I actually feel it in my arch. Plain weird.
when I wear the nightsplints, it hurts my arch for the first hour. I am soooo tight I guess.
I am thinking maybe the glucosamine stuff would help with this a little.

Barbara TX on 1/11/01 at 12:29 (036428)

I have BEEN THERE AND DONE THAT. You poor woman! I can't tell you what to do, but I'll tell you what I did. I quit stretching for a long,long time and it REALLY helped. I had horrible achilles pain all around the rim of my heel, radiating to the center, and that stopped when the stretching stopped. I know that stretching is one of the gold standard things that you do, but I really do believe that pain is our bodies way of saying BACK OFF. Don't let anyome hurt you more. That doesn't seem to make good medical sense to me. I know Dr. B told you they might be 'going for a controlled tear.' That is granting them the benefit of the doubt for sure, which is a kindness that may not be owed to them. You should ask if this is the case, but I bet they are clueless about tearing anything. If you ask, you'll know for sure about the thought that they put into this treatment plan. Asking about specifics really helped me to decide just what to do. If someting sounded bogus, I moved on. I really do hope you feel better soon. Although I deeply respect doctors, what my body says comes first even if it tells me amazing things like 'go barefoot.' I hope you feel some relief soon. Am I crazy, or do I recall that you actually CAN'T stretch the plantar fasacia - it is really hard to even CUT through it. All my best to you today, Salina. You are a real trouper. Anyone yet who does ESWT in Hawaii? B.

Re: To Salina

Kim B. on 1/11/01 at 16:23 (036439)

Salina,

Just explain to the PTs that your gut instinct (and your support group) tells you that 'if it hurts, just don't do it!' It's that simple.

Always trust your (women's) intuition when in doubt. It's a gift from God that is stonger in women than men. (Sorry fellas, but that's a fact.) I think it gets stronger with each child you give birth to or raise up. If so, yours should be pretty darn sharp by now!

Also, watch the ibuprophen, too much will give some people stomach and colon pain and disturbance. Vioxx is expensive, but it is the only anti-inflamm that didn't spaz my tummy and colon out, I mentions this incase you have a good doc, and a precription card to go with it.

Tell your doc that surgery is not an option unless he can put it in writing that it will be 100% successful and there is no risk of scar tissue or nerve damage problems afterward. That will shut him up. Tell him that until there is a safe cure that is readily available to you, he can't cure you, but he has an hippocratic obligation to help you manage your pain.

You are in charge of YOU!

Regards, Kim B.

Barbara TX on 1/11/01 at 22:50 (036462)

Yes I am a barefooter - but I would never be before ESWT. I think that its the complications from having pf so long that have cause a host of other things that make barefoot feel best. I still have a profound limp. B.

Re: Bare footin'

Kim B. on 1/12/01 at 00:41 (036467)

Salina, I too am now able to go barefooted, but, ONLY on plush carpet, occasionally, and it feeeels verrry gooood. Berber carpet and tile flooring is still pretty much a no no, even though I can get by with it without immediate pain. Like you, at one time, I abslutely couldn't walk from my bed to the bathroom without putting my supportive shoes on in the middle of the night. Don't give up! Barefootin' is probably in the cards for you too.

Here is something to think about: I think that PF misery is alot like childbirth. They say after a while, you forget how painful the labor truly was. I remind my self alot about how debilitating PF is when it's at it's worse. I never want to end up there again. So, I shant push my luck with too much barefootin. (Tex Barb, you listening?!)

Kim B.

Andrea on 1/12/01 at 14:28 (036491)

Ok, here's what I have found on the web. Glucosamine has been tested in clinical trials which concluded that it was safe and effective for treatment of osteoarthritis, not what we have but I have read that this may also be effective on PF. The study says that 500 mg of Gluc was effective in relieving pain and range of motion. It looks like glocosamine with chondrotin sulfate may even be better as it says it has been reported to maintian viscosity in joints, stimulate cartilage repair mechanism and inhibit enzymes that break down cartiledge. I think I will go out and try this too.

While we do not have problems with cartiledge it apparently has worked on the pain in my feet and I hope it will continue to get better. Even if it doesn't, a little bit of relief has made me happier.

Oh yes, don't worry about the name brand of the gluc just make sure it contains 500mg.

If you search the website for gluc you will find plenty of info on it.

Hope it works for you. And keep on stretching..slowly.