Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Is anyone considering ESWT but is too nervous?

Posted by Cynthia D on 1/11/01 at 10:41 (036407)

I have tried everything, done everything for 4 1/2 years and thought I would give pt one more try, but I feel I am destined to visit Dr. Zuckerman in NJ in the near future. Is anyone else considering it but is too nervous to go ahead? If so, maybe we can hand-hold through it - I'm very scared.

Re: Is anyone considering ESWT but is too nervous?

Karin L. on 1/11/01 at 11:41 (036421)

Cynthia,
I too was afraid of ESWT, but just had the procedure 2 weeks ago. I am in St. Louis & had the OssaTron. Everything I read said that this machine was 'extremely painful'. I have a great Dr. who did the procedure in an out pt. surgery center. Was heavily sedated, the procedure too all of 15 - 20 min. He had to stop the procedure & put me deeper as I kept pulling my foot away from the machine because of pain...I didn't feel anything I was too out of it. Bottom line...I am soooooo glad I had this procedure. I walked out of the surgery center in my New Balance & have not, knock on wood, had any pain since! I don't know about the other machines or how painful they are, just know that the OssaTron seems to have done the trick. Good luck, & it really is nothing to be afraid of. Keep us posted.
Karin

Cindy K on 1/11/01 at 19:53 (036456)

Hi Cynthia,

I too had the Ossatron treatment and as Karin stated, I was also heavily sedated. I was told that I had such a good time that I sang to the doctors and staff while the procedure was being done 8-}. I guess I must have had a pretty good time, or the drugs were good. All kidding aside, you will know when you have had enough of the pain to take the plunge. For myself, I was ready and grateful that there were other non invasive procedures that had a fairly good success rate. Good luck and keep us posted. Cindy K.

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/12/01 at 18:24 (036501)

I have found that the use of sedation isn't needed but if it is wanted by the patient I have some great medications that I can use right in the office that I promise will put you on cloud nine. but this is very very rare. Using a local anesthesia has become rare. Doctors need to learn from the Europeans and know how to take advantage of the aneshetic effects of low energy ESWT.

Karin L. on 1/12/01 at 19:22 (036507)

Dr. Z,
From what I have read & people I have talked to, you are right...if the machine is the Orbasone. However, the OssaTron is extremely painful. I was heavily sedated & my Dr. had to stop the procedure as I kept pulling my foot away from the machine. Once I was given more drugs & put under deeper, he was able to procede with the procedure. I believe this may be why only one treatment is needed with the OssaTron as compared with 2-3 using the Orbasone. I for one would not want to feel just how painful the OssaTron is, give me drugs & put me out, thank you very much.
Karin

David Lowy on 1/15/01 at 13:22 (036640)

Don't forget about us Canadians too! :-)

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/17/01 at 19:41 (036777)

Yes never forgot the Canadians. The first time I ever learned about low energy ESWT was from David Lowery. The First high and low energey machines were used in Canada. And just for the record Mike Myers is also Canadian.

I saw him interviewed by James Lipton. It was great,

Karin L. on 1/11/01 at 11:41 (036421)

Cynthia,
I too was afraid of ESWT, but just had the procedure 2 weeks ago. I am in St. Louis & had the OssaTron. Everything I read said that this machine was 'extremely painful'. I have a great Dr. who did the procedure in an out pt. surgery center. Was heavily sedated, the procedure too all of 15 - 20 min. He had to stop the procedure & put me deeper as I kept pulling my foot away from the machine because of pain...I didn't feel anything I was too out of it. Bottom line...I am soooooo glad I had this procedure. I walked out of the surgery center in my New Balance & have not, knock on wood, had any pain since! I don't know about the other machines or how painful they are, just know that the OssaTron seems to have done the trick. Good luck, & it really is nothing to be afraid of. Keep us posted.
Karin

Cindy K on 1/11/01 at 19:53 (036456)

Hi Cynthia,

I too had the Ossatron treatment and as Karin stated, I was also heavily sedated. I was told that I had such a good time that I sang to the doctors and staff while the procedure was being done 8-}. I guess I must have had a pretty good time, or the drugs were good. All kidding aside, you will know when you have had enough of the pain to take the plunge. For myself, I was ready and grateful that there were other non invasive procedures that had a fairly good success rate. Good luck and keep us posted. Cindy K.

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/12/01 at 18:24 (036501)

I have found that the use of sedation isn't needed but if it is wanted by the patient I have some great medications that I can use right in the office that I promise will put you on cloud nine. but this is very very rare. Using a local anesthesia has become rare. Doctors need to learn from the Europeans and know how to take advantage of the aneshetic effects of low energy ESWT.

Karin L. on 1/12/01 at 19:22 (036507)

Dr. Z,
From what I have read & people I have talked to, you are right...if the machine is the Orbasone. However, the OssaTron is extremely painful. I was heavily sedated & my Dr. had to stop the procedure as I kept pulling my foot away from the machine. Once I was given more drugs & put under deeper, he was able to procede with the procedure. I believe this may be why only one treatment is needed with the OssaTron as compared with 2-3 using the Orbasone. I for one would not want to feel just how painful the OssaTron is, give me drugs & put me out, thank you very much.
Karin

David Lowy on 1/15/01 at 13:22 (036640)

Don't forget about us Canadians too! :-)

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/17/01 at 19:41 (036777)

Yes never forgot the Canadians. The first time I ever learned about low energy ESWT was from David Lowery. The First high and low energey machines were used in Canada. And just for the record Mike Myers is also Canadian.

I saw him interviewed by James Lipton. It was great,