Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

How long does it take for heel spurs to start hurting?

Posted by Bill M on 1/11/01 at 18:25 (036445)

Dr, how long will it take for heel spur pain to start to hurt. I was in law enforcement in the Air Force for 15 hears and had to a lot of standing on hard concrete for 6 plus hours a day. I retired from the Air Force, with 26 years, however, the heel spur pain did not show up for 15 more years.

Thank you for an answer

Re: How long does it take for heel spurs to start hurting?

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/12/01 at 00:48 (036469)

So this a very common situation . My spurs didn't hurt when I was really on them and then a retire or reduce my standing or playing of some kind of sports.

My opinion is the fact that you had your muscles and tendon in your lower extremity in excellent strenght and flexibiliy condition that you helped you lower extremity support the plantar fascia and helped to prevent any acute tearing of the fascia at the insertion.

Get back to stretching and strenghting of your calf and foot muscles.
Wear good supporting shoes. Seek a doctor as soon as you can and in the mean time read the online book written by Scott Robert and the Informaton by Mike Wilmott on how lower extremity muscle weakness and lack of flexiblilty contribute to plantat fascia pain.

Re: How long does it take for heel spurs to start hurting?

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/12/01 at 00:48 (036469)

So this a very common situation . My spurs didn't hurt when I was really on them and then a retire or reduce my standing or playing of some kind of sports.

My opinion is the fact that you had your muscles and tendon in your lower extremity in excellent strenght and flexibiliy condition that you helped you lower extremity support the plantar fascia and helped to prevent any acute tearing of the fascia at the insertion.

Get back to stretching and strenghting of your calf and foot muscles.
Wear good supporting shoes. Seek a doctor as soon as you can and in the mean time read the online book written by Scott Robert and the Informaton by Mike Wilmott on how lower extremity muscle weakness and lack of flexiblilty contribute to plantat fascia pain.