Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heel Pain

Posted by Chaz G on 1/11/01 at 21:42 (036460)

I am a 43 year old professional tennis coach in San Diego. About 5 years ago, I started experiencing painful heels & archs in the morning. I then put an over-the-counter Spenco 3/4 arch support combined with a full Sorbathane cushioned insole. The pain went away.
About 6 months ago, I strained my lower back. The Chiropractor suggested that I have a special (Tennis)orthotic made, which I did. I was a hard orthotic, which I questioned, but the Doctor said I would be right so I started wearing it. Now, you need to know that I teach 6-8 hours a day and I also play competitively. Within two weeks of having this new orthotic in my shoes, my foot pain got so bad that I had to take them. I have had severe left heel pain and some right heel pain ever since. What is your advise. Thanks.

Re: Heel Pain

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/12/01 at 00:38 (036466)

You stopped wearing the orthosis which is smart. You need to break in the orthosis on a wearing schedule. One hour each day adding an additional hour . Try this for about two weeks if the problem of pain persists or you aren't getting any reduction in pain and or increase in your ability to function then go back to see the doctor. I am sure you have a follow on for evaluation of your orthosis use. I am not a big fan of rigid orthosis but your over the counter Spenco 3/4 arch support with cushioned Sorbathane sole is pretty rigid already. So becareful and make sure you have follow -up with your doctor.

Re: Heel Pain

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/12/01 at 00:38 (036466)

You stopped wearing the orthosis which is smart. You need to break in the orthosis on a wearing schedule. One hour each day adding an additional hour . Try this for about two weeks if the problem of pain persists or you aren't getting any reduction in pain and or increase in your ability to function then go back to see the doctor. I am sure you have a follow on for evaluation of your orthosis use. I am not a big fan of rigid orthosis but your over the counter Spenco 3/4 arch support with cushioned Sorbathane sole is pretty rigid already. So becareful and make sure you have follow -up with your doctor.