Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Complications with ESWT?

Posted by KenC on 1/12/01 at 08:56 (036480)

I was just wondering what the complications, and or, side effects were with ESWT. Thank you. KenC.

Re: Complications with ESWT?

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/12/01 at 17:34 (036500)

No relief. black and Blue after the procedure. Some patients report a healing time of 12 weeks with good and bad days in between. There was a reported plantara fascia tear in the FDA studies with the ossatron. Read the many articles that Scott has on the board that talk about the complications. I have one patient that still has pain that many be increased or she will take more then the twelve weeks to get relief.

Now if you compare this is to surgery the comparsion is what is important.
With surgery. Infection. Permanent nerve damage. Collapse of the arch.
Chronic pain in other areas of the foot due to the cutting of the plantar fascia. RSD which is where there is permanent nerve damage that leaves you with severe pain for the rest of yor life.

Re: Complications with ESWT?

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/12/01 at 17:34 (036500)

No relief. black and Blue after the procedure. Some patients report a healing time of 12 weeks with good and bad days in between. There was a reported plantara fascia tear in the FDA studies with the ossatron. Read the many articles that Scott has on the board that talk about the complications. I have one patient that still has pain that many be increased or she will take more then the twelve weeks to get relief.

Now if you compare this is to surgery the comparsion is what is important.
With surgery. Infection. Permanent nerve damage. Collapse of the arch.
Chronic pain in other areas of the foot due to the cutting of the plantar fascia. RSD which is where there is permanent nerve damage that leaves you with severe pain for the rest of yor life.