Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Another torture shoe for PF-ers

Posted by john a on 1/12/01 at 10:17 (036483)

Someone just mentioned eastbay.com, which looks like a good site for sports-related stuff. While perusing, I saw these 'strength shoes':
http://www.eastbay.com/catalog/productdetail.cfm?TID=5555-16120107440116070147214-0&supercat=equipment&model_nbr=8720&sku=2000WH
They essentially force you to walk on tip-toes!

Re: Another torture shoe for PF-ers

Kim B. on 1/12/01 at 15:52 (036493)

John, Are you sure about them forcing you to walk on your toes? I got the opposite impression of them. Looks like raising in the front would cause you to walk on your heels. Which for us folks still makes them a torture device. They sure are pround of them, aren't they? ($124.00) hmmm.

Maybe they are for long jumpers, and allow the extra forward sole to allow a stronger forward jump. Whatever, nothing beats those heavy duty, coiled-spring heel atheletic shoes we saw awhile back.

Regards, Kim B.

Nancy N on 1/12/01 at 18:55 (036505)

They sure do look weird, don't they? I wonder if the stuff in the front is just there to make you work harder when you walk? The line about how they 'build the calf muscles and stretch the Achilles tendon' sure sounds like it would be good for PF, but then the bit that follows -- 'thus making the athlete more explosive'--sounds a little scary, doesn't it?! I almost get the impression that you're supposed to wear these only for training, and then when you run/compete without them, it's easier/stronger?? (Sort of like when a friend of mine, trying to learn to drive stick, had trouble getting the hang of starting in first gear, so I had her try it in second and third. First was much easier after she did that!) But it's kind of hard to tell what the principle really is here.

I'm with you guys--I have enough trouble with my feet without adding this weird shoe to it!

john a on 1/15/01 at 09:31 (036631)

As Nancy N mentioned, this shoe seems to be meant for training purposes, and since they emphasize power and strong calves, I assumed when wearing them that you would be mostly walking with your heels off the floor, almost like constantly walking up stairs.
(PS, Kim, I'm glad you're back to posting - I've always enjoyed reading your intelligently written, well informed, information-packed words.)

Kim B. on 1/12/01 at 15:52 (036493)

John, Are you sure about them forcing you to walk on your toes? I got the opposite impression of them. Looks like raising in the front would cause you to walk on your heels. Which for us folks still makes them a torture device. They sure are pround of them, aren't they? ($124.00) hmmm.

Maybe they are for long jumpers, and allow the extra forward sole to allow a stronger forward jump. Whatever, nothing beats those heavy duty, coiled-spring heel atheletic shoes we saw awhile back.

Regards, Kim B.

Nancy N on 1/12/01 at 18:55 (036505)

They sure do look weird, don't they? I wonder if the stuff in the front is just there to make you work harder when you walk? The line about how they 'build the calf muscles and stretch the Achilles tendon' sure sounds like it would be good for PF, but then the bit that follows -- 'thus making the athlete more explosive'--sounds a little scary, doesn't it?! I almost get the impression that you're supposed to wear these only for training, and then when you run/compete without them, it's easier/stronger?? (Sort of like when a friend of mine, trying to learn to drive stick, had trouble getting the hang of starting in first gear, so I had her try it in second and third. First was much easier after she did that!) But it's kind of hard to tell what the principle really is here.

I'm with you guys--I have enough trouble with my feet without adding this weird shoe to it!

john a on 1/15/01 at 09:31 (036631)

As Nancy N mentioned, this shoe seems to be meant for training purposes, and since they emphasize power and strong calves, I assumed when wearing them that you would be mostly walking with your heels off the floor, almost like constantly walking up stairs.
(PS, Kim, I'm glad you're back to posting - I've always enjoyed reading your intelligently written, well informed, information-packed words.)