Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

DMSO

Posted by Scott R on 1/12/01 at 13:28 (036488)

The following was typed quickly and may contain factual errors, so by reading this you agree to take your health into your own hands and do not hold me responsible. Also, the FDA does not approve any of the following statements.

I've had a chance to review DMSO more carefully. In the past I've been bullish on it, but a particular poster's comments about made me tone-down my favorability towards it. I've now come to learn that it is an extremely safe compound. From the toxicity data available, it appears to be as safe as Alcohol and 20 to 70 times safer than aspirin. I couldn't find any reference to where it had harmed anyone, except with my own experience of it drying out the skin. The FDA was quick to black-ball it in the 1960s and/or 1970s. A few people trying out polluted industrial versions of it may have been hurt since it carries low molecular weight chemicals through the skin. It's pain killing ability is similar to morphine except there are no side effects (except a foul sulfur taste and smell) and it lasts longer. The estimated lethal dose for a human based on rat data is about 2.2 pounds! Try finding a chemical in the physician's desk reference that is this safe.

You can mix it with about 30% lidocaine or tetracaine for additional topical pain relief. If my interpretations of the data are correct, you may not need to inject people for ESWT treatments. But it probably doesn't reach as far as the bone. They said 10% solution injections for total pain relief. 2ml 50% into spinal column for complete anesthesia for 30 minutes. For head injuries, they'll IV 70 grams to reduce intracraneal pressure. It is a powerful diuretic (10 times urine flow increase in an animal study). It appears to vasodilate for faster healing, and will break up recent scar tissue without harming normal tissue. If I understood the article correctly, at least some tissue appear to survive indefinitely in 10% solutions. It's used to transport organs for transplants. 5% solutions greatly increase the effectiveness of anti-biotics, anti-fungal, and anti-viral medications (I'm less sure of the anti-viral). They said 50% of Russians with arthritis use it. It is a powerful antioxidant and increased the survival of gastric patients from 11% to 33% at four years (but I couldn't figure out right away from the lengthy article if they were drinking it and how much). It cut hypercholesterolemia in half in heavy doses in rats(?) with 1% DMSO diet.

For more info see http://www.dmso.org and for buying a 4 oz bottle for $5 see http://www.dmso.org and let me know your results.

But be careful of it drying out the skin.

Re: DMSO

Scott R on 1/12/01 at 13:35 (036489)

I forgot to mention that one source said it was the second NSAID discovered (after aspirin) and its astonishing effectiveness is what prompted the pharmaceutical companies to try to find similarly effective NSAIDS. Unfortunately, it appears they still haven't succeeded and have killed something like 7,000 people a year for many years with the drugs they have patented. All this as a result of DMSO being black-balled by the FDA (the FDA denied studies from getting started). It's a natural compound, so it cannot be patented.

Re: DMSO - acute and chronic toxicity non-existent

Scott R on 1/12/01 at 13:46 (036490)

To quote the national toxicity program's website:
'The acute toxicity of DMSO by all routes of exposure is very low.
Chronic exposure to dimethyl sulfoxide can cause damage to the cornea of the eye. Dimethyl sulfoxide has not been found to be carcinogenic or to show reproductive or developmental toxicity in humans. '

But I read elsewhere that even the damage to the cornea observation was in very large doses given to animals.

I read some place else that it's approved as part of an ear-infection treatment for dogs (supposedly, it reduces inflammation and it might be combined with an anti-biotic to amplify the bacteria-killing). It's approved for interstitial cystitis and something else in humans.

Cindy K. on 1/15/01 at 13:21 (036639)

That's right Scott. I work with animals and have been instructed to use DMSO for a variety of things from perivascular injections to increase vasodialation of the area and for; otitis media, bite wounds, lick granulomas, hematomas and for heat wraps in horses. I know of people who would brag about using it for their joint pain, and was aware that it was used for chronic cystits in humans. When I would apply it to the patients (animals to be specific) I would always wear gloves...it was very common for me to taste oysters shortly after I would apply it to the animal. And of course, I do not like oysters.

I remember when DMSO first hit the market, that many people were uising it on burns-in fact I think 60 minutes aired a segment many years ago. I can only say, that there are people who use it and think it is great. Because this is absorbed quickly, remember, anything on your skin is also absorbed into your system. It does dry out the skin quickly. Some people have been known to use DMSO and then wrap the area with plastic wrap to increase the heat but found that it caused very irritated skin.

Cindy K.

john h on 1/15/01 at 18:15 (036651)

is not DMSO a common med used on horses? in particular race horses for inflamed hooves? seems to me a friend who owns a bunch of race horses and who has a bad back told me he was using DMSO on his low back. I may have my product wrong but this seems to be what i recall.

Scott R on 1/15/01 at 19:51 (036654)

Yes, it's used extensively in vet applications. Ear infections in dogs for example. It amplifies the anti-bacterial effects.

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/16/01 at 21:21 (036722)

I use to have race horse in the early 1980's in fact my sister still has a farm and trains and races horses. They would always be asking me to try and get DMSO.. It was very effective in horses . For some reason the popularity of this medication just stopped. I am going to ask them again if this is still a very popular drug in the race business. I did hear of some local farmers using this for heel pain but I didn't know much about this.

Another great medication that I picked up from the horse racing was a mediation called Butazolidan Alka. It was the best NSAID in the world . My menter give me the formula it was two capsules three times a day for two days only. I had patients coming for hundreds of miles. for this treatment., There was no such thing as needles or injections for heel pain
this medication killed any pain or swelling that you had in any joint including our good old heel pain

The problem was that all of my MD doctors starting using this drug one twice daily for months. People had alot of problems The drug insert even told you that it should be used for only seven days. I never had a problem with this drug until the medical profession started to use it. Oh well off the market.

Is this what happened to DMSO?

Re: DMSO

Scott R on 1/12/01 at 13:35 (036489)

I forgot to mention that one source said it was the second NSAID discovered (after aspirin) and its astonishing effectiveness is what prompted the pharmaceutical companies to try to find similarly effective NSAIDS. Unfortunately, it appears they still haven't succeeded and have killed something like 7,000 people a year for many years with the drugs they have patented. All this as a result of DMSO being black-balled by the FDA (the FDA denied studies from getting started). It's a natural compound, so it cannot be patented.

Scott R on 1/12/01 at 13:46 (036490)

To quote the national toxicity program's website:
'The acute toxicity of DMSO by all routes of exposure is very low.
Chronic exposure to dimethyl sulfoxide can cause damage to the cornea of the eye. Dimethyl sulfoxide has not been found to be carcinogenic or to show reproductive or developmental toxicity in humans. '

But I read elsewhere that even the damage to the cornea observation was in very large doses given to animals.

I read some place else that it's approved as part of an ear-infection treatment for dogs (supposedly, it reduces inflammation and it might be combined with an anti-biotic to amplify the bacteria-killing). It's approved for interstitial cystitis and something else in humans.

Cindy K. on 1/15/01 at 13:21 (036639)

That's right Scott. I work with animals and have been instructed to use DMSO for a variety of things from perivascular injections to increase vasodialation of the area and for; otitis media, bite wounds, lick granulomas, hematomas and for heat wraps in horses. I know of people who would brag about using it for their joint pain, and was aware that it was used for chronic cystits in humans. When I would apply it to the patients (animals to be specific) I would always wear gloves...it was very common for me to taste oysters shortly after I would apply it to the animal. And of course, I do not like oysters.

I remember when DMSO first hit the market, that many people were uising it on burns-in fact I think 60 minutes aired a segment many years ago. I can only say, that there are people who use it and think it is great. Because this is absorbed quickly, remember, anything on your skin is also absorbed into your system. It does dry out the skin quickly. Some people have been known to use DMSO and then wrap the area with plastic wrap to increase the heat but found that it caused very irritated skin.

Cindy K.

john h on 1/15/01 at 18:15 (036651)

is not DMSO a common med used on horses? in particular race horses for inflamed hooves? seems to me a friend who owns a bunch of race horses and who has a bad back told me he was using DMSO on his low back. I may have my product wrong but this seems to be what i recall.

Scott R on 1/15/01 at 19:51 (036654)

Yes, it's used extensively in vet applications. Ear infections in dogs for example. It amplifies the anti-bacterial effects.

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/16/01 at 21:21 (036722)

I use to have race horse in the early 1980's in fact my sister still has a farm and trains and races horses. They would always be asking me to try and get DMSO.. It was very effective in horses . For some reason the popularity of this medication just stopped. I am going to ask them again if this is still a very popular drug in the race business. I did hear of some local farmers using this for heel pain but I didn't know much about this.

Another great medication that I picked up from the horse racing was a mediation called Butazolidan Alka. It was the best NSAID in the world . My menter give me the formula it was two capsules three times a day for two days only. I had patients coming for hundreds of miles. for this treatment., There was no such thing as needles or injections for heel pain
this medication killed any pain or swelling that you had in any joint including our good old heel pain

The problem was that all of my MD doctors starting using this drug one twice daily for months. People had alot of problems The drug insert even told you that it should be used for only seven days. I never had a problem with this drug until the medical profession started to use it. Oh well off the market.

Is this what happened to DMSO?