Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Scott or any expert tapers.....!!

Posted by Sue R on 1/12/01 at 15:09 (036492)

Scott or anybody who tapes,

I've just started taping my right foot as the pain is sometimes really bad. (I've had all the tests and everything has been negative but my symptoms are definitely pf.) I have a really high arch (as I think you do Scott) and it seems like the tape slips easily. I've looked at Scott's methods and tried it (ball to heel) but I felt some weird stuff going on in my ankle which has never been a problem. Has anyone else experienced this? I have been using a doctor's method that wraps around my heel to the top of my foot and another wrap around my arch.

Also, when I remove the tape each night, my skin is very irritated. Has anyone tried pre-wrap or something before using the tape? Does your skin ever get used to this, esp if you do it every day? In order for the tape job to help, it has to be tight and it's really starting to bother my skin.

Please help!!

Thanks,
Sue R

Re: Scott or any expert tapers.....!!

Barbara TX on 1/16/01 at 13:23 (036691)

Sue - Dr. Z just gave me something that works in place of tape. It is called the PSC by Fabrifoam, and it looks like a rubbery ace bandage. Good taping instructions are on the back of the package, and you can use it over and over (wash and air dry). It is made specifically for PF and it goes on very easily and comes in s,m,l & xl, and you have to order it for the left or right foot. It does not irritate my skin, and I can be instantly adjusted (unlike tape). I would recommend that tapers try this if tape irritates your skin.

I have also heard that coating your skin with Milk of Magnesia helps with tape removal and preserving your skin (?) Never tried it. I also found tape really expensive over time.

Good luck to you, Sue. Sorry I foudn your message late. I just am getting back to my computer after my trip. I hope that you see some progress soon. Call anytime. B.

Dr. Kosova on 1/19/01 at 08:17 (036845)

Sue, there are prewraps and sprays that will help hold the tape better but if you are getting irritations without them this will probaly continue. What type of conservative tx have you tried? Are you doing isolated pf and achilles tendon strecthing? A patient of mine bought a device on this site to help with this and swears by it.
Good luck
Dr. Kosova

Julie on 1/19/01 at 13:03 (036865)

Hi Sue

The first thing I'd do if I were you (and am going to do) is investigate the product Barbara describes, which sounds as though it could be a real improvement on tape. Having said that, I'm now a veteran taper of three months standing, and perhaps I can help if you decide to continue taping.

First, what kind of tape are you using? Some types will be more irritating than others, and you might find it helpful to experiment with different ones. I use 3.75mm Leuko tape, which is made (in Spain) by Beiersdorf. It goes on easily, holds well, lasts all day, comes off fairly easily and does not irritate my skin. Even so, I would say that the less tape used the better, and I have been very happy with Scott's simplest method of two strips connecting the ball and the heel. This has been just as effective for me as the more elaborate wraparound technique my pod used when I first started, and of course much cheaper as well as easier to apply and remove.

You need to peel it off carefully, starting at the ball. I remove the tape everynight and get rid of the sticky residue a cotton pad soaked with lighter fluid (not a pleasant smell, but it goes) and use a good cream overnight on the foot to nourish the skin. Teatree cream is my current favourite.

You say you're getting 'wierd stuff' going on in your ankle. You might be applying the tape too tightly. It doesn't have to be very tight, just taut enough to supply the arch with the needed support. Dorsiflexing the foot first will prevent it being too tight: if the foot is in neutral when the tape is applied, it will probably be too tight. (I tried this once and had to remove it immediately: it pulled in all sorts of worrying ways.) You need to experiment to get the tension right, as Scott says.

I've also used a futuro ankle brace - sometimes instead of tape, sometimes in addition to tape.

I hope some of this helps. Let me know if anything isn't clear.

All the best, Julie

Lori B. on 1/20/01 at 21:32 (036975)

Barbara, your info about the PSC by Fabrifoam really caught my attention because taping really helps me, but I can't have the DR. doing it all the time. You said that it has to be ordered. Where can I order it from? Any infor would be appreciated.

Re: Scott or any expert tapers.....!! TO LORI

Barbara TX on 1/21/01 at 16:46 (037010)

I got my Fabrifoam 'thingie' at Dr. Z's. You could leave a message for Kate or Dr. Z and they could tell you where to get one (or perhaps you could get it directly from them. I think Scott should sell them (read that, Scott)? B.

Lori B on 1/21/01 at 19:54 (037033)

Barbara, I assume by Dr. Z you mean Dr. Zucker. I am in Utah and don't know how to contact Dr. Zucker except by way of this web site. Can you email me his phone # or otherwise direct me. ATTENTION SCOTT, check out this product and see if it can be added to your products list to order. Thanx for the info.

Scott R on 1/21/01 at 21:19 (037042)

Thanks for the notice. They sent me a free PSC years ago. I like Dr. Roth's FABs better because there is a cushion 'bump' under the arch. I'll be selling one or both of them as soon as I can. Much bigger things are in the works.

The fabrifoam PSC has been listed at http://heelspurs.com for 3 or 4 years.

Scott R on 1/21/01 at 21:25 (037043)

I wasn't clear in my last message. The Fabrifoam PSC has been listed on the 'products' page of heelspurs.com for 3 or 4 years. It has also been discussed, with telephone numbers in the message board as can be found by doing a search on the message board. It can also be found by doing a search of heelspurs.com.

Barbara TX on 1/16/01 at 13:23 (036691)

Sue - Dr. Z just gave me something that works in place of tape. It is called the PSC by Fabrifoam, and it looks like a rubbery ace bandage. Good taping instructions are on the back of the package, and you can use it over and over (wash and air dry). It is made specifically for PF and it goes on very easily and comes in s,m,l & xl, and you have to order it for the left or right foot. It does not irritate my skin, and I can be instantly adjusted (unlike tape). I would recommend that tapers try this if tape irritates your skin.

I have also heard that coating your skin with Milk of Magnesia helps with tape removal and preserving your skin (?) Never tried it. I also found tape really expensive over time.

Good luck to you, Sue. Sorry I foudn your message late. I just am getting back to my computer after my trip. I hope that you see some progress soon. Call anytime. B.

Dr. Kosova on 1/19/01 at 08:17 (036845)

Sue, there are prewraps and sprays that will help hold the tape better but if you are getting irritations without them this will probaly continue. What type of conservative tx have you tried? Are you doing isolated pf and achilles tendon strecthing? A patient of mine bought a device on this site to help with this and swears by it.
Good luck
Dr. Kosova

Julie on 1/19/01 at 13:03 (036865)

Hi Sue

The first thing I'd do if I were you (and am going to do) is investigate the product Barbara describes, which sounds as though it could be a real improvement on tape. Having said that, I'm now a veteran taper of three months standing, and perhaps I can help if you decide to continue taping.

First, what kind of tape are you using? Some types will be more irritating than others, and you might find it helpful to experiment with different ones. I use 3.75mm Leuko tape, which is made (in Spain) by Beiersdorf. It goes on easily, holds well, lasts all day, comes off fairly easily and does not irritate my skin. Even so, I would say that the less tape used the better, and I have been very happy with Scott's simplest method of two strips connecting the ball and the heel. This has been just as effective for me as the more elaborate wraparound technique my pod used when I first started, and of course much cheaper as well as easier to apply and remove.

You need to peel it off carefully, starting at the ball. I remove the tape everynight and get rid of the sticky residue a cotton pad soaked with lighter fluid (not a pleasant smell, but it goes) and use a good cream overnight on the foot to nourish the skin. Teatree cream is my current favourite.

You say you're getting 'wierd stuff' going on in your ankle. You might be applying the tape too tightly. It doesn't have to be very tight, just taut enough to supply the arch with the needed support. Dorsiflexing the foot first will prevent it being too tight: if the foot is in neutral when the tape is applied, it will probably be too tight. (I tried this once and had to remove it immediately: it pulled in all sorts of worrying ways.) You need to experiment to get the tension right, as Scott says.

I've also used a futuro ankle brace - sometimes instead of tape, sometimes in addition to tape.

I hope some of this helps. Let me know if anything isn't clear.

All the best, Julie

Lori B. on 1/20/01 at 21:32 (036975)

Barbara, your info about the PSC by Fabrifoam really caught my attention because taping really helps me, but I can't have the DR. doing it all the time. You said that it has to be ordered. Where can I order it from? Any infor would be appreciated.

Barbara TX on 1/21/01 at 16:46 (037010)

I got my Fabrifoam 'thingie' at Dr. Z's. You could leave a message for Kate or Dr. Z and they could tell you where to get one (or perhaps you could get it directly from them. I think Scott should sell them (read that, Scott)? B.

Lori B on 1/21/01 at 19:54 (037033)

Barbara, I assume by Dr. Z you mean Dr. Zucker. I am in Utah and don't know how to contact Dr. Zucker except by way of this web site. Can you email me his phone # or otherwise direct me. ATTENTION SCOTT, check out this product and see if it can be added to your products list to order. Thanx for the info.

Scott R on 1/21/01 at 21:19 (037042)

Thanks for the notice. They sent me a free PSC years ago. I like Dr. Roth's FABs better because there is a cushion 'bump' under the arch. I'll be selling one or both of them as soon as I can. Much bigger things are in the works.

The fabrifoam PSC has been listed at http://heelspurs.com for 3 or 4 years.

Scott R on 1/21/01 at 21:25 (037043)

I wasn't clear in my last message. The Fabrifoam PSC has been listed on the 'products' page of heelspurs.com for 3 or 4 years. It has also been discussed, with telephone numbers in the message board as can be found by doing a search on the message board. It can also be found by doing a search of heelspurs.com.