Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Today was my Tenogram ,but it did not happen.....:(

Posted by Laurie R on 1/12/01 at 20:56 (036514)

Hello to all,
As you might remenber I was to have my Tenogram done today. I just got my hard cast off yesterday .I was in alot of pain last night and then when I got up today the pain was even more. Anyway I still went to the hospital which is 33 miles from my house. I kept thinking as I am crying all the way there due to the pain that I was still going to try to have it done. By the time I got to the hospital the pain was major ,I had to wait about 45 minutes to have the test done. As I am still crying at this point they called me in. So right off the top I told the doctor that I was in major pain . I also told him I was not sure if I should have this done today .He was wonderful ,he said why don't you think about it for a few minutes and then let me know if you could go though it . I brought my MRI pictures and he looked at them and saw the fluid in my foot and ankle . He came back in and explained the tenogram to me and I thought this will not be to bad and then he got to the part where he would have to leave a 4 inch needle in my foot to inject the dye into it to x-ray my foot. Ok right there I made up my mind ,I told him with the pain I am in I will be back. He said fine and I rescheduled the tenogram for Jan 26 . there was no way that I could of done this today . The needle has to be put right in the tendon and that is where I am having most of my pain ,or I should say that is where my pain is comming from.

At first I thought I was just being a big baby ,then I remenbered that this is my foot and it will not be the end of the world if I did not get it done today .That is one thing I have learned from all of you ,it is my foot and I have the right to have the test done or not. So I am glad with my decision I made today. But I will say I was so depressed over the pain and just the thought of that needle staying in my foot for the lenght of the test did not sit well with me.

I hope in two weeks that my foot will settle down a bit pain wise to have it done. Also my foot is swollen . The thing is when the cast was removed yesterday I did not have any swelling ,and when I got up today I noticed it .

The doctor at the hospital explained to me today that they also use this test as treatment .This is what he said. It showed in my MRI that i have fluid in and around my tendon ,now with the dye sometimes the dye will push the fluid through the tendon. So he said not only is it a test to see what is going on but it fix the tendon. Just maybe if the tendon can be fixed then we can focus on my fascia . Now if the tendon is blocked then surgery could fix that . I will know what is going on when I go on the 26 th . In a way I was thinking just get it done then I would of known ,but I think I made the best choice for me .

All I can say is this pain sucks and I will be happy when it can be fixed .

Right when I got home I had to call my Pod office and tell them what happened today .The first thing when my Pod nurse answered the phone and I told her who I was she asked me how did the tenogram go??? I had to explain what happened . She said ok, and of course I said I am so sorry . Then when I got off the phone I thought I have nothing to be sorry about.

This has been such a hard day ,but it is over now and I am glad about that. Now if the pain would be over I would be very happy. Now to add to all the pain my big and two toes next to it are very painful too.This all started today and my toes and foot keeps going numb.

Thank you all for letting me vent. Now you know why I stayed away from posting for a while ,I don't have anything positive to say. Maybe in a few weeks I will ....

My very best to everyone .Laurie R

Re: Today was my Tenogram ,but it did not happen.....:(

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/12/01 at 22:55 (036519)

There is alot of stress thinking and waiting to be stuck with a needle and then have a dye injected. So why not talk to them about some type of sedation or medication that will make you sleepy. If it were my foot and my test I would want to be very relaxed and in a sleepy mood. Could they give you maybe valium or some type fo IV sedation. in the radiology department. It is possible for anesthesia to be there to make this test just a memory and not a stressful event which in my opinion it is.

salina on 1/13/01 at 00:05 (036529)

Oh Laurie,
I feel for you so much right now. And I know you were (in a way) looking forward to getting the tenogram over with, in hopes of finding out what they can do to help get you better.
I had no idea what a tenogram was, or that it would be like what you described.
I think you did the right thing by waiting though. Cause for any kind of tests, and needles, you need to be in the right frame of mind.
Like with the MRI. Remember how you had to workthrough your fears, and get some tapes you liked to listen to, and mentally psyche yourself up for it. And you did it!! You got through it. And now you have those results. Just one step closer in finding out what the doctors might need to do to help you.
You will be able to handle this tenogram. I am sure of it. But not today, right? It was just too much to handle, and you were smart enough to recognize that.
I would have been timid as a mouse, and probably waited to freak out DURING the procedure. probably would have ended up meetin the white coats a little too close and personal. :)
You did the right thing. You need to rest up, get used to not having the cast on anymore. And then start working on building your mind up for the tenogram. You can do this, Laurie. This could be a good thing for you, in your recovery.
Don't knock yourself up about the events of today. Just try to relax. I know it is so hard to do when you are in pain though.
Keep trying heat, ice, whatever seems to help with the pain, I know we are all different on this issue.
Keep venting any time you need to. Feels good, doesn't it? to get the frustration out a little.
Stay positive.
Talk with the docs before the 26th, and make sure you know and understand every thing that is going to happen during the procedure.
But don't just let yourself dwell on 'the needle' aspect. You can make yourself crazy doing that.
Explain how much you really want to have this done, to get it tested, but you need to have any and all amounts of medicine they can give you to help you relax and make it through it.
I think they will understand and try to help you.

Hang in there Laurie, we are all pulling for you!!

Kay S on 1/13/01 at 08:43 (036539)

Laurie---after reading your post, I almost feel guilty when I complain about my pain! You have really been through so much, and your hesitancy to do anything else is certainly understandable. You must feel like you are in the middle of a circle and everyone is throwing sharp objects at you!
In the hospital where I work, a nurse works strictly in the area of Radiology, along with the technicians, etc. She/he can give medications, start IV's, give shots, and any other nursing function necessary for the patients in that department. SOOOOOoooooooooo--how about you ask your doctor to order something for you in the department prior to having the test? The other thing you can do is get a Rx for a sedative (Valium, Ativan, Xanax, etc) from your doc ahead of time, take it before you leave home, and have someone drive you. That way you would be relaxed by the time you get there. And if the doc had ordered something else at the hospital you could take it or not take it, depending on how you are feeling.
The trouble with having some anesthesia type drug is that someone from anesthesia (either a CRNA or anesthesiologist) would have to actually BE there, and that causes a scheduling problem. It would also add at least another 500 or 800 dollars to the cost, I bet. At least this is the way it works in my hospital. Now if the radiologist is willing to give something IV, that would be great, but from my experience they don't want to do this because then you need to have monitors and all that stuff.
I think the reason (besides the pain) that you are feeling so squeamish about all of this is that you are positively SATURATED with medical procedures and bad experiences. There was a time in my life, after chemotherapy, when I told my doctor that I absolutely could not do one more thing at a hospital, no matter what it meant. I couldn't have another procedure, test, exam, visit, poke, prod, discussion.........
I eventually got over that feeling, but it was very real at the time. Actually, I had to get over it so I could do all this dang foot stuff. But you get what I mean. It gets so overwhelming that almost nothing matters anymore. Then you wake up the next day and find that you care about something again, and the sun is shining, and you want to live, and you want to do something to help yourself. It is similar to the roller coaster everyone talks about!
I will pray for you, Laurie, and hope that the next time you go for the test will be a much better experience, you will get through it without any difficulty, and it will be a step towards a cure for you. I wish I could be your nurse that day.
Kay

Nancy N on 1/13/01 at 09:21 (036543)

Laurie--

I'm so sorry to hear that you couldn't go through with the test--sorrier to hear why. I agree with everything everyone else has said already--give it some time to settle down, and then see if you can get something to take to dull the pain or to help you relax when you go back. I'm so sure you can get through this--you've made it this far, so you've obviously got what it takes to make it through this tenogram. And maybe it'll help relieve your pain, too--what a bonus! Take the time to calm yourself and then to psych yourself up for it, and to 'take ownership' of the situation (I hate that phrase, but it does seem apt sometimes!). It sounds like you've already done that in making the decision to wait. There's nothing for you to feel sorry about--you are the only person who can judge whether or not you are in a position to do something, and you made that judgment. Don't you dare feel guilty about it! Actually, you should be proud of yourself for having the courage to say how you felt and make the call rather than letting the general procedures of the medical establishment make the decision for you. It sounds like the doctor was very understanding, too, which I think is wonderful.

Hang in there, Laurie. You'll get through it when you're ready and in control of the situation. And if you need a boost in the meantime, you know where to find us.

wendyn on 1/13/01 at 09:45 (036545)

I second Dr Z's opinion Laurie. If you were to be sedated - you probably will not even remember the procedure. I'm sorry - if someone was going to poke a big needle in my foot, no matter how 'anti-drug' I normally am, I'D TAKE THE DRUGS! Yikes. No wonder this isn't a routine test.

At least the doctor sounds as though he was very compassionate and understanding. That makes me feel better. I did think of you earlier in the week - I knew your test was coming up. I've been so sick all week though it's hard me me to get through work let alone think of anything else!

Please keep in touch and don't worry about 'dumping' your problems on us. That's why we're here.

wendyn on 1/13/01 at 10:03 (036548)

Kay - you are so right. When I was really in the midst of my high-pain foot problems...I was so sick of doctors and procedures and tests that I was trying to avoid having my teeth cleaned and getting my hair cut! I just wanted to be left alone!

Laurie R on 1/13/01 at 20:52 (036577)

Hi to all,
Thank you so much for all the kind words .I don't have a problem with the needles ,not even needles in my foot. I always did really weel with all my shots in my foot .The pain was just so bad yesterday . My foot and ankle are still so sore from the cast . I'm still very happy with my decision I made to reschedule the tenogram.There was no way that needle was going into my foot yesterday.
Wendy your right this doctor who I have never met was so compassionate. I told him I was so sorry I wasted his time ,he told me that is was ok and he had alot to do before the next patient was to come in.

All I know is that yesterday was not the day.

The funny thing about this ,well I think you guys all know me by now. I would normaly have had major anxiety which would of made it very hard for me to even go into the room .But instead I went to this major big hospital where they treat anything and everything and my anxiety was close to none .What I am trying to say is the pain was that bad. I was just sitting in this dark room talking to this doctor that understood my pain.That's when I asked him when I come back if I could make the appointment with him,he said yes and checked his schedule and gave me the date of Jan 26th. He was a wonderful doctor.

This has been a long 19 months dealing with foot pain ,but I think this time we are going to find out what has been causing all this terrible pain.I always knew it was more then just PF ,now I am not saying that PF is not as painful . My pain is in more then just one place in my foot and now it is in my toes and ankle . My foot has started again going numb .

Kay I wish you were going to be the nurse also . That would be so wonderful. You really understand and you are so compassionate. I thank you for that .

Salina your kind words made me feel so much better when I read your post. I try very hard to stay positive .

Also Nancy thank you so much for your kind words. What would I do with out all of you. Like I said it makes me feel so much better to have all of you. Other wise I think I would of lost my mind. Pian is such a hard thing to deal with.

The pain is not as bad as yesterday but if I would of had to have the test today I still would not be able to handle the needle in my foot .I am really hoping that the pain will settle down in two weeks .No matter what kind of pain I am in in two weeks I have to go through and have the tenogram . I need to find out if this tendon has damage or scar tissue in it and get it fixed .

Dr.Z the thing I like about you is ,you are a doctor but you think like a patient ,meaning you understand the pain ,like I said you are such a wonderful person.

Uncle Steve ,when I go have the test in two weeks I will be thinking about your kind words to help me get through it .

I could of stayed yesterday if it was only going to be one needle but when the doctor told me that the big needle had to stay in my tendon for the test that is when I knew for sure I could not handle it . I am not scared in anyway about the test ,I just don't want to be more pain.

Thanks again to all ,your the best.

My very best to all ,Laurie R

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/12/01 at 22:55 (036519)

There is alot of stress thinking and waiting to be stuck with a needle and then have a dye injected. So why not talk to them about some type of sedation or medication that will make you sleepy. If it were my foot and my test I would want to be very relaxed and in a sleepy mood. Could they give you maybe valium or some type fo IV sedation. in the radiology department. It is possible for anesthesia to be there to make this test just a memory and not a stressful event which in my opinion it is.

salina on 1/13/01 at 00:05 (036529)

Oh Laurie,
I feel for you so much right now. And I know you were (in a way) looking forward to getting the tenogram over with, in hopes of finding out what they can do to help get you better.
I had no idea what a tenogram was, or that it would be like what you described.
I think you did the right thing by waiting though. Cause for any kind of tests, and needles, you need to be in the right frame of mind.
Like with the MRI. Remember how you had to workthrough your fears, and get some tapes you liked to listen to, and mentally psyche yourself up for it. And you did it!! You got through it. And now you have those results. Just one step closer in finding out what the doctors might need to do to help you.
You will be able to handle this tenogram. I am sure of it. But not today, right? It was just too much to handle, and you were smart enough to recognize that.
I would have been timid as a mouse, and probably waited to freak out DURING the procedure. probably would have ended up meetin the white coats a little too close and personal. :)
You did the right thing. You need to rest up, get used to not having the cast on anymore. And then start working on building your mind up for the tenogram. You can do this, Laurie. This could be a good thing for you, in your recovery.
Don't knock yourself up about the events of today. Just try to relax. I know it is so hard to do when you are in pain though.
Keep trying heat, ice, whatever seems to help with the pain, I know we are all different on this issue.
Keep venting any time you need to. Feels good, doesn't it? to get the frustration out a little.
Stay positive.
Talk with the docs before the 26th, and make sure you know and understand every thing that is going to happen during the procedure.
But don't just let yourself dwell on 'the needle' aspect. You can make yourself crazy doing that.
Explain how much you really want to have this done, to get it tested, but you need to have any and all amounts of medicine they can give you to help you relax and make it through it.
I think they will understand and try to help you.

Hang in there Laurie, we are all pulling for you!!

Kay S on 1/13/01 at 08:43 (036539)

Laurie---after reading your post, I almost feel guilty when I complain about my pain! You have really been through so much, and your hesitancy to do anything else is certainly understandable. You must feel like you are in the middle of a circle and everyone is throwing sharp objects at you!
In the hospital where I work, a nurse works strictly in the area of Radiology, along with the technicians, etc. She/he can give medications, start IV's, give shots, and any other nursing function necessary for the patients in that department. SOOOOOoooooooooo--how about you ask your doctor to order something for you in the department prior to having the test? The other thing you can do is get a Rx for a sedative (Valium, Ativan, Xanax, etc) from your doc ahead of time, take it before you leave home, and have someone drive you. That way you would be relaxed by the time you get there. And if the doc had ordered something else at the hospital you could take it or not take it, depending on how you are feeling.
The trouble with having some anesthesia type drug is that someone from anesthesia (either a CRNA or anesthesiologist) would have to actually BE there, and that causes a scheduling problem. It would also add at least another 500 or 800 dollars to the cost, I bet. At least this is the way it works in my hospital. Now if the radiologist is willing to give something IV, that would be great, but from my experience they don't want to do this because then you need to have monitors and all that stuff.
I think the reason (besides the pain) that you are feeling so squeamish about all of this is that you are positively SATURATED with medical procedures and bad experiences. There was a time in my life, after chemotherapy, when I told my doctor that I absolutely could not do one more thing at a hospital, no matter what it meant. I couldn't have another procedure, test, exam, visit, poke, prod, discussion.........
I eventually got over that feeling, but it was very real at the time. Actually, I had to get over it so I could do all this dang foot stuff. But you get what I mean. It gets so overwhelming that almost nothing matters anymore. Then you wake up the next day and find that you care about something again, and the sun is shining, and you want to live, and you want to do something to help yourself. It is similar to the roller coaster everyone talks about!
I will pray for you, Laurie, and hope that the next time you go for the test will be a much better experience, you will get through it without any difficulty, and it will be a step towards a cure for you. I wish I could be your nurse that day.
Kay

Nancy N on 1/13/01 at 09:21 (036543)

Laurie--

I'm so sorry to hear that you couldn't go through with the test--sorrier to hear why. I agree with everything everyone else has said already--give it some time to settle down, and then see if you can get something to take to dull the pain or to help you relax when you go back. I'm so sure you can get through this--you've made it this far, so you've obviously got what it takes to make it through this tenogram. And maybe it'll help relieve your pain, too--what a bonus! Take the time to calm yourself and then to psych yourself up for it, and to 'take ownership' of the situation (I hate that phrase, but it does seem apt sometimes!). It sounds like you've already done that in making the decision to wait. There's nothing for you to feel sorry about--you are the only person who can judge whether or not you are in a position to do something, and you made that judgment. Don't you dare feel guilty about it! Actually, you should be proud of yourself for having the courage to say how you felt and make the call rather than letting the general procedures of the medical establishment make the decision for you. It sounds like the doctor was very understanding, too, which I think is wonderful.

Hang in there, Laurie. You'll get through it when you're ready and in control of the situation. And if you need a boost in the meantime, you know where to find us.

wendyn on 1/13/01 at 09:45 (036545)

I second Dr Z's opinion Laurie. If you were to be sedated - you probably will not even remember the procedure. I'm sorry - if someone was going to poke a big needle in my foot, no matter how 'anti-drug' I normally am, I'D TAKE THE DRUGS! Yikes. No wonder this isn't a routine test.

At least the doctor sounds as though he was very compassionate and understanding. That makes me feel better. I did think of you earlier in the week - I knew your test was coming up. I've been so sick all week though it's hard me me to get through work let alone think of anything else!

Please keep in touch and don't worry about 'dumping' your problems on us. That's why we're here.

wendyn on 1/13/01 at 10:03 (036548)

Kay - you are so right. When I was really in the midst of my high-pain foot problems...I was so sick of doctors and procedures and tests that I was trying to avoid having my teeth cleaned and getting my hair cut! I just wanted to be left alone!

Laurie R on 1/13/01 at 20:52 (036577)

Hi to all,
Thank you so much for all the kind words .I don't have a problem with the needles ,not even needles in my foot. I always did really weel with all my shots in my foot .The pain was just so bad yesterday . My foot and ankle are still so sore from the cast . I'm still very happy with my decision I made to reschedule the tenogram.There was no way that needle was going into my foot yesterday.
Wendy your right this doctor who I have never met was so compassionate. I told him I was so sorry I wasted his time ,he told me that is was ok and he had alot to do before the next patient was to come in.

All I know is that yesterday was not the day.

The funny thing about this ,well I think you guys all know me by now. I would normaly have had major anxiety which would of made it very hard for me to even go into the room .But instead I went to this major big hospital where they treat anything and everything and my anxiety was close to none .What I am trying to say is the pain was that bad. I was just sitting in this dark room talking to this doctor that understood my pain.That's when I asked him when I come back if I could make the appointment with him,he said yes and checked his schedule and gave me the date of Jan 26th. He was a wonderful doctor.

This has been a long 19 months dealing with foot pain ,but I think this time we are going to find out what has been causing all this terrible pain.I always knew it was more then just PF ,now I am not saying that PF is not as painful . My pain is in more then just one place in my foot and now it is in my toes and ankle . My foot has started again going numb .

Kay I wish you were going to be the nurse also . That would be so wonderful. You really understand and you are so compassionate. I thank you for that .

Salina your kind words made me feel so much better when I read your post. I try very hard to stay positive .

Also Nancy thank you so much for your kind words. What would I do with out all of you. Like I said it makes me feel so much better to have all of you. Other wise I think I would of lost my mind. Pian is such a hard thing to deal with.

The pain is not as bad as yesterday but if I would of had to have the test today I still would not be able to handle the needle in my foot .I am really hoping that the pain will settle down in two weeks .No matter what kind of pain I am in in two weeks I have to go through and have the tenogram . I need to find out if this tendon has damage or scar tissue in it and get it fixed .

Dr.Z the thing I like about you is ,you are a doctor but you think like a patient ,meaning you understand the pain ,like I said you are such a wonderful person.

Uncle Steve ,when I go have the test in two weeks I will be thinking about your kind words to help me get through it .

I could of stayed yesterday if it was only going to be one needle but when the doctor told me that the big needle had to stay in my tendon for the test that is when I knew for sure I could not handle it . I am not scared in anyway about the test ,I just don't want to be more pain.

Thanks again to all ,your the best.

My very best to all ,Laurie R