Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Methadone for PF??

Posted by Kim B. on 1/13/01 at 14:02 (036559)

Doctors,

I have two questions:

1. What is your impression of whether severe, chronic, long-time suffers of PF benefiting from the use of Methadone? If it is not considered benifical, why do you think this is the case?

2. Are Podiatrist licensed to prescribe controlled substances or other kinds of prescriptions? If so, are there limitations as to what they are allowed to prescribe?

I'm working on a new theory, so there is reason for my questions. Thanks for any info you can provide.

Regards,
Kim B.

Re: Methadone for PF??

cindyp on 1/13/01 at 16:42 (036563)

Not being a doctor I can't say. I have taken neurontin, all the nsaids there are, elavil, celebrex. Some were prescribed by pods, some by orthos, some by gp's, i know these aren't controlled substances. But I don't suffer from pf but would gladly take anything to make this agonizing pain go away and stay.

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/14/01 at 17:47 (036605)

Hi,

I don't know or have any experience with this drug. I do know that it is used for herion addicts.

A podiatrist can prescript all classes of medications that are used for the treatment of the foot and ankle. That includes all kinds of pain medications

Re: Methadone for PF?? Why I asked...

Kim B. on 1/14/01 at 23:37 (036626)

Thanks for your response Dr. Z., (you too Cindy). I am wondering if there is some sort of specific medical reason that Plantar Faciitis pain would, or would not, respond to this type of medication based on the chemisty or tissue types involved. I have read that Methodone often works well for soft tissue pain. Is the tissue involved in PF considered 'soft tissue?'

Heroin addition is not the only application for it, of course. Some people use it to control chronic pain illness, when all else has failed or them. If you are truely in pain, you don't get the a uphoric feeling from it, because in those cases, it only modulates the pain and doesn't affect pleasure sensors in the brain.

I'm not suggesting it as a way of life. Just when all other avenues have failed, and only for people who are not of gender or capable of conceiving. Doctor are very reluctant to prescribe it because of all the red tape and paper-work and Goverment monitoring involved.

See, I had to start taking a low dose of it a few months ago because my FM pain got very out of control. I couldn't function on strong, sedating types of pain medications. The Methodone, doesn't make me drowsey and because it last about 24 hours, I only have to take it once a day... No 'peaks and valleys' as is the case with pain med, taken every four to six hours.

Anyway as a side result, to my suprise when I started taking it for my FM problems, my foot pain began getting relief too. Then, when the very low dose I was taking wasn't controlling my FM pain anymore, the PF pain started coming back with it. I discussed this with my Internist the other day, and he said, that it was not my imagination, and that my PF and foot problems are indeed connected. This scares the $%#@ out of me because it is an indication that my FM is progressing, instead of being non-progressive as I was told it was 6 years ago when I was diagnosed.

It's not a cure and it only masks the pain as I was reminded when the extra low dose was no longer doing the trick. I still have to do other things to manage my pain problems, and there is some break-through pain at times. However, this medication gave me my life back over Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays! It is the closest I've felt to 'normal' in more than 6 years! I was able to see our world with a different set of eyes and live it with a different body completely! It's very hard to describe.

So now I am curious as to whether persons chronic PF could benefit from it as I have with my FM/PF combination.

I can't help but wonder, why so many doctors are willing to let people suffer with severe, debilitating pain if there is something that can help some of them, at least until they are cured. It is a VERY inexpensive medication, btw.

Again, thanks for your input Dr. Z., I would be greatful for any ohter thoughts you or others may have on this subject, now that I have explained more about my reason for asking the questions I did.

Regards, Kim B.

cindyp on 1/13/01 at 16:42 (036563)

Not being a doctor I can't say. I have taken neurontin, all the nsaids there are, elavil, celebrex. Some were prescribed by pods, some by orthos, some by gp's, i know these aren't controlled substances. But I don't suffer from pf but would gladly take anything to make this agonizing pain go away and stay.

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/14/01 at 17:47 (036605)

Hi,

I don't know or have any experience with this drug. I do know that it is used for herion addicts.

A podiatrist can prescript all classes of medications that are used for the treatment of the foot and ankle. That includes all kinds of pain medications

Re: Methadone for PF?? Why I asked...

Kim B. on 1/14/01 at 23:37 (036626)

Thanks for your response Dr. Z., (you too Cindy). I am wondering if there is some sort of specific medical reason that Plantar Faciitis pain would, or would not, respond to this type of medication based on the chemisty or tissue types involved. I have read that Methodone often works well for soft tissue pain. Is the tissue involved in PF considered 'soft tissue?'

Heroin addition is not the only application for it, of course. Some people use it to control chronic pain illness, when all else has failed or them. If you are truely in pain, you don't get the a uphoric feeling from it, because in those cases, it only modulates the pain and doesn't affect pleasure sensors in the brain.

I'm not suggesting it as a way of life. Just when all other avenues have failed, and only for people who are not of gender or capable of conceiving. Doctor are very reluctant to prescribe it because of all the red tape and paper-work and Goverment monitoring involved.

See, I had to start taking a low dose of it a few months ago because my FM pain got very out of control. I couldn't function on strong, sedating types of pain medications. The Methodone, doesn't make me drowsey and because it last about 24 hours, I only have to take it once a day... No 'peaks and valleys' as is the case with pain med, taken every four to six hours.

Anyway as a side result, to my suprise when I started taking it for my FM problems, my foot pain began getting relief too. Then, when the very low dose I was taking wasn't controlling my FM pain anymore, the PF pain started coming back with it. I discussed this with my Internist the other day, and he said, that it was not my imagination, and that my PF and foot problems are indeed connected. This scares the $%#@ out of me because it is an indication that my FM is progressing, instead of being non-progressive as I was told it was 6 years ago when I was diagnosed.

It's not a cure and it only masks the pain as I was reminded when the extra low dose was no longer doing the trick. I still have to do other things to manage my pain problems, and there is some break-through pain at times. However, this medication gave me my life back over Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays! It is the closest I've felt to 'normal' in more than 6 years! I was able to see our world with a different set of eyes and live it with a different body completely! It's very hard to describe.

So now I am curious as to whether persons chronic PF could benefit from it as I have with my FM/PF combination.

I can't help but wonder, why so many doctors are willing to let people suffer with severe, debilitating pain if there is something that can help some of them, at least until they are cured. It is a VERY inexpensive medication, btw.

Again, thanks for your input Dr. Z., I would be greatful for any ohter thoughts you or others may have on this subject, now that I have explained more about my reason for asking the questions I did.

Regards, Kim B.