Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

which surgery?

Posted by GraceC on 1/13/01 at 19:26 (036571)

I wrote earlier this week about the dropped metatarsal bone (callous for 20 years) and the middle three hammer toes. I would like to know what surgery I might be considering to rectify the arch pain. And if I don't do anything, will the arch pain just keep getting worse, and will it do damage to something else?
Thanks.

Re: which surgery?

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/13/01 at 20:14 (036573)

The arch pain could be related and then again may be a separate problem.
If you have a single dropped metatarsal bone then an osteotomy of that specific bone should be done. Do the hammer toes hurt. Some times a correction of the hammer toe deformity could resolve the dropped metataral or may need to be corrected along with the repairing of the dropped metatarsal bone. So an examination and determination as to the relationship of the middle three hammer toes and the dropped metatarsal bone needed to be done. The arch pain probaby is a separate problem. Another thing I would need to know is the dropped metatarsal causing a flat smooth callus or is this a deep callus with a corn in the middle. I would also need to know if the other adjacent metatarsal bone are dropped or elongated. So if you tell me the tpye of pain and the degree of callus I may be able to be more specific.

Re: which surgery?

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/13/01 at 20:14 (036573)

The arch pain could be related and then again may be a separate problem.
If you have a single dropped metatarsal bone then an osteotomy of that specific bone should be done. Do the hammer toes hurt. Some times a correction of the hammer toe deformity could resolve the dropped metataral or may need to be corrected along with the repairing of the dropped metatarsal bone. So an examination and determination as to the relationship of the middle three hammer toes and the dropped metatarsal bone needed to be done. The arch pain probaby is a separate problem. Another thing I would need to know is the dropped metatarsal causing a flat smooth callus or is this a deep callus with a corn in the middle. I would also need to know if the other adjacent metatarsal bone are dropped or elongated. So if you tell me the tpye of pain and the degree of callus I may be able to be more specific.