Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heel Pain

Posted by Kathleen on 1/14/01 at 07:07 (036585)

I just found this site this morning and am I ever glad that I did! I just got over moving from Ca. to Az. I have severe back problems and nerve damage in both my legs, which cause me tremdous pain most of the time. Since moving, I have now developed horrible pain in my left heal. I am a vetern and need to wait until my appt. with the VA, (which is not until the end of the month) for exrays, etc. Until then, I really don't know wha I can do to help this pain along....I will be getting a spa this week and am wondering if hot water would help in any way. I do do dtretch exercises, but nothing seems to help...in fact, pain seems to be gettig worse and not better! I would like some feedback from people who have been there with this type of pain....I was told that it could be from heal spurs....Thank You! Kathleen (I am 52 yrs. old)

Re: Heel Pain

Nancy N on 1/14/01 at 08:28 (036591)

Kathleen--

You might want to post your question on the Ask the Doctors board to be sure they see it (though Dr. Z will probably see it here). It could be PF, but it could also be related to the nerve damage, from what I've learned here. I did stretching for a while, but it was always weight-bearing and I think it made it worse or, at the very least, re-aggravated the problem. When I started doing non-weight-bearing stretches, I started to feel better. You might want to look at that as a possibility--the PFT or the Acu-Flex (which is what I use) both allow you to do stretching and strengthening without weight-bearing.

Hot water and ice may both help--Dr. Z posted a link to an article about when to use each, but he posted it on another board. You might want to look for that. read Scott's PF book, too--some of the things in there may help you, though if your problem is related to nerve damage, I'm not sure if they will work or not--I would read the book, but consult with a doctor before you try anything beyond taping and ice/heat in case it is a nerve problem.

Good luck--let us know how it goes.

john h on 1/16/01 at 10:23 (036673)

kathleen: start with tho old standby 'ice'. use it for about 20 minutes several times a day on your heel. stay off the feet as much as possible until you see the doctor and wear shoes with good arch supports. a fellow vet-

Nancy N on 1/14/01 at 08:28 (036591)

Kathleen--

You might want to post your question on the Ask the Doctors board to be sure they see it (though Dr. Z will probably see it here). It could be PF, but it could also be related to the nerve damage, from what I've learned here. I did stretching for a while, but it was always weight-bearing and I think it made it worse or, at the very least, re-aggravated the problem. When I started doing non-weight-bearing stretches, I started to feel better. You might want to look at that as a possibility--the PFT or the Acu-Flex (which is what I use) both allow you to do stretching and strengthening without weight-bearing.

Hot water and ice may both help--Dr. Z posted a link to an article about when to use each, but he posted it on another board. You might want to look for that. read Scott's PF book, too--some of the things in there may help you, though if your problem is related to nerve damage, I'm not sure if they will work or not--I would read the book, but consult with a doctor before you try anything beyond taping and ice/heat in case it is a nerve problem.

Good luck--let us know how it goes.

john h on 1/16/01 at 10:23 (036673)

kathleen: start with tho old standby 'ice'. use it for about 20 minutes several times a day on your heel. stay off the feet as much as possible until you see the doctor and wear shoes with good arch supports. a fellow vet-