Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Cortizone Shot

Posted by Jill P on 1/14/01 at 14:01 (036597)

Hello everyone! I have not been around a quite some time (2 little ones keep me busy), but it looks like there are still many names I recognize. I am still battling this PF which I got while pregnant with my daughter who is now 17 months old. When I first realized this was not left over from the pg and would not be going away on its own last April, I saw the podiatrist who set me up with a night splint, stretching, and orthotics. (The splint and orthotics have been really helpful, and I am better but far from pain free.) I got some Reebok Walk DMX, Birkenstocks with the soft sole from the link here, and also flip flops for in the shower so I am never barefoot as it's too painful. Since I was still nursing at that point, we both preferred to wait on the anti-inflammatories and coritzone shot.

I started anti-inflammatories (Naporsen sp?) about a month ago and haven't had much success with it. I had to see the other doctor as mine was called away on an emergency, and he told me that after having this PF for so long I would likely need the shot instead of the pills. I wanted to wait on the shot and try the pills first. Now I am realizing that I believe I do need the shot. We are going to Disney World in early May, and I want so much to have this under control.

Anyway, I am looking for information and helpful tips about getting the shot, managing after, recovery and such. Since the dr is only in the office I go to mid-week, I am going to ask when I make the appointment if he is at another office that would be worth driving to so that I could get the shot on a Friday and would have help with the kids over the weekend incase I am hurting too much and not able to walk much. Do people drive themselves home after when it's their right foot affected as mine is? For those who have had shots, I would appreciate any experiences you will share.

Re: Cortizone Shot

Karin L. on 1/14/01 at 14:21 (036599)

Jill,
When you go for the cortizone shot, ask your Dr. to use the spray to 'freeze' the area. It's a cold spray & makes the shot more tolerable. The shot itself hurts, but you'll be able to walk out of the office & drive yourself home. I found it takes about 48 hrs. to kick in, where the PF pain decreases. Most of my shots kept me pain free for about 8 weeks. I kept thinking, cool, I am healed, cured, I can walk! Unfortunately, the pain had a way of rearing its ugly head & was back. Taping sometimes works also after the shot. Hope this helps, I'm sure others will offer advice too. Keep us posted.
Karin

Susan on 1/14/01 at 15:38 (036600)

Hi Jill,

I had a cortisone shot. It hurt like the dickens only for a few seconds and then subsided and I was immediately pain free. As with Karin's experience it took about 24 hours and the pain returned for a day or two. I was told to stay off my foot as much as possible. The pain completely left for 3 months and I truly thought this was the end of my pf. Wrong, it returned and since then I've continued with various treatments and to date I'm still in pain. I'm interested in seeing other's responses to see if the shot kept them pain free for longer periods of time. Good luck.

Nancy N on 1/14/01 at 15:53 (036601)

Jill--

I've had several shots, and none of them proved to be long-lasting for me. The longest I went without pain was about two weeks, and then it began to slowly creep back in. In my experience, the first one is the most effective, and subsequent injections may still help, but not as much as the first one.

If you look around or do a search on injections, I believe you'll find that people who were injected through the bottom of the foot found them more painful than those who had them through the side. Mine were through the side and I never thought they were unbearable, though I can think of things I'd rather be doing, certainly. So you might want to talk to your doctor about exactly how he plans to give you the shot. (I think I may also have read that the side injections are less likely to atrophy the fat pad in the heel, but I am not sure about that anymore--anybody remember?)

Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

Re: Me again!

Jill P on 1/14/01 at 17:53 (036606)

Okay, I forgot to mention that I have also lost 18 pounds since September doing Weight Watchers which I believe also has been a big help. Also by baby walking since August means I do less carrying of her.

I've been doing some searching on the shots as someone suggested above and it seems that everyone who has any relief seems to only have days to weeks and a few had a few months relief. SO, now I am wondering about our trip to Disney. I had thought that I should try and 'hurry up' to get this shot and continue healing with it. Looking at the others comments on the shots, maybe I would be better off getting the shot within the month before we fly down to FL. Any comments???

UGH! I am SO sick of this darn PF! We have already booked and paid more than half of this trip so we are going. Do you think I might end up renting a wheel chair for part of each day? I feel embarassed since even though I would never take advantage of the possibility of getting on an attraction sooner because of a wheel chair, others might sneer at me believing that is why I am using one (especially if they see that I can walk some of the time).

Thanks again to all advising me about this! Jill

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/14/01 at 19:54 (036609)

Get a note from your doctor about your pf. Make sure you find out in advance about a wheel chair. So prepare yourself. May have pain and then again the shot could really help you.

Barb-NY on 1/14/01 at 20:56 (036612)

I've never had a shot in my foot (never will) but I have had 5 shots in my wrist/thumb area when I had tendontitis several years ago and 2 in my elbow a year ago. All the shots I've ever taken NEVER lasted long, from several days to 6 weeks at best. The pain always returned. I would never take a shot in my foot. Personally, I fear the pain of the shot itself and I know that I only get very temporary results...AND, shots are not very safe. They have side effects. I feel that doctors rely tooooo heavily on shots.

wendyn on 1/14/01 at 21:11 (036613)

Jill - if you need the wheelchair - take the wheelchair. Bring a cane for when you are walking and people will be more 'understanding'. Then go - and have a great time!

Re: Wheelchair and Shots, some things to keep in mind.

Kim B. on 1/14/01 at 22:14 (036618)

Hi Jill,

I've wanted to go to Disney for years, but have been waiting for 'a good time.' When you go, stay off your feet as much as possible. That alone calls for a wheel chair. As long as you know in your heart that you are using it for legitmate reasons, don't get bogged down with what other people may be thinking. For all they know you have luekeimeia (sp) and must conserve your energy. A wheel chair doesn't mean you are crippled, it just means you are limited. Like many conditions requiring the use of a wheel chair, PF is sort of a hidden disability.

Unless they have walked a mile in your shoes, most people couldn't comprehend the foot problems you've been dealing with, even if you took the time to explain it to them. Besides, just remind yourself that you're not just using it for you, you are doing it for the group you are with, and if this is what you have to do to save a vacation for your family, it's worth a few rude stares.

Back when my Doctor and I were discussing the possiblility of shots as a treatment for me, he stressed that we would definately have do it on a Friday. He said that for the best result, I would pratically have to stay off my feet altogether, and having my husband or someone around was a must. The shots are a gamble anyway you look at it. Don't get them just before the trip, because you could have complications and wouldn't want that at trip time.

I don't want to get you overly hopeful, but, there are people who were able to rid themselves of the PF with the shots. It's possible that many of those lucky people have moved on to other things and don't come here as often to discuss PF pain, which may explain why there aren't too many of those kinds of stories here. Just a dash of hope for you to keep in mind.

Now this is very important: I highly recommend that you take a refillable, wide-mouth, ice-pack bottle with you. I got mine at Walgreen's for about $11.00 to take with me on a 3 day retreat I took last fall. I don't think I could have survived away from home without it! I was able to fill it up at the ice machine,(which I'm sure your hotel will have,) and ice my feet 2-3 times a day while I was away. Gel ice packs are great at home, but, on the road, the wide-mouth, refillable kind are great because you don't have to wait for them to freeze. If you can find ice, you can take care of your feet. They get very cold, and having a small hand towel or socks on makes it even more comfortable, btw.

Good luck with your shot and your trip. I hope it all works out for you.

Sincerely, Kim B.

Bill E. on 1/15/01 at 07:24 (036627)

I had one cortisone shot about 3 months ago. The Dr. was very good at it and he mixed a small amount of anaesthetic with the cortisone (novacaine?) to minimise the pain. He did it through the bottom of the foot and it hurt quite a bit as the needle went in but wasn't too bad. The anaesthetic wore off in about 6-8 hours and it hurt a bit but then a day later it felt fine. But only for about 10 days. Since then I have read about the cortisone shots. Here are my conclusions...somewhat personal so take them at face value.
Cortisone mainly reduces swelling so it decreases the pain.
It may actually be detrimental to the overall healing and strength of the fascia.
The results vary a lot from person to person.
Most good sites recommend no more than 3 shots in a year and many discourage cortisone except for really bad pain.
Be careful...the decreased pain can fool youinto thinking that you are better and you might do something that is counterproductive, like over work your foot.

My pain isn't severe but it is chronic. I don't think that I will get another shot. Not because of the pain but because I am afraid that it isn't the long term answer for me.

Good luck! You might try a shot a day before you go to Fla. Then you will feel better when you are there. But keep up the orthotics, stretching, and minimal weight on the feet. Have you tried other non steroidal antiinflamatories (like naproxen). Ibuprophen comes to mind. It seems to work a little better for me.

Bill

Cindy K. on 1/15/01 at 13:07 (036638)

Hi Jill,

let me tell you...if you go to Disney with a wheel chair you will be the most popular person in the park. Disney is so aware of the disabled, that they will rush you to the front of the line...no waiting...whomever you travel with will be grateful that they have a place to put their packages too. I would not hesitate to use a wheel chair, it will make your waits much shorter and you will enjoy the park more.

Injections...I have had two in both feet @ the same time...they are helpful but for me, it was not worth the it after the 2nd injection. I refuse to go through that again. For me, the pain went away maybe two weeks and was back. This summer I went to Dollywood, I used painpills and it helped a great deal for me.

Have a great time in Disney,
Cindy K.

Re: Cortizone Shot & Wheelchairs at Disney

Cynthia D on 1/15/01 at 14:48 (036642)

I also have a 17 month old! My third. My pf definately got worse during pregnancy when I gained 55 pounds. I kept most of the weight on until I stopped nursing at 14 months. I have now lost 35 (50 total since the birth), and it must help, but I still have some very bad days and weeks. My only exercise now is weight lifting and using an incumbent bicycle. (On good days, sometimes tennis.) We went to Disney during my pregnacy and there was no way I could walk. I could hardly make it from the monorail to the wheelchair rental. Once I was in the chair, life in Disney was manageable. There will still be a lot of walking you must do when you get out of your chair at some rides and exhibits You MUST use one even if you get relief from the shot because while you may have less pain, you could still damage your feet worse. I know someone here mentioned no lines or waiting, but I found March of 1999, that they had eliminated the special accessibility to handicapped persons, and I had to wait in lines (in my chair for most rides) along with everyone else. And who cares what anyone else thinks, anyway. Although I can tell you not once did I get a dirty look or comment.

Also, I finally caved into the pain and applied for a handicap placard. I feel bad for worse off people and always take the furthest away spot, but it has helped tremendously. This may also help you. You sort of get used to it - it will be a happy day when I toss it, however!

Now about the shots... you can find lots of experiences on this website but I can tell you after I stopped nursing, I got my first one in both feet. I've had pf for four 1/2 years! :( I thought I was cured in both feet for three months. Then it came back with a vengance. My second shots were more painful and he must not have mixed in novocaine. I was in so much pain walking out of the drs. office, that I sat on the steps wondering how I was going to get to my car. The next day we went on vacation to Sanibel and I couldn't walk for five days because the shots had made my feet worse!!!! So don't do it too close to your trip.

I have taken Vioxx now for 7 days and it definately is helping only I get tired at 7:30 every night and usually nap on the sofa while my hubby puts the kids to bed so I won't be staying on it forever. I'm the type who usually doesn't ever sit down.

I made a big leap and made an appointment with Dr. Z for ESWT - have you read about this at all? Maybe if you do it soon, you could be better for Disney, but even then, I would rent a wheelchair. (The Disney one is slow, but if you go to Seaworld, their chairs are really fast!) We are going to Disney in March so save a chair for me!

Oh, and today at the mall (ususally avoided) we carefully planned our route so Mommy didn't have to walk too much. I saw a dream item, a 'butt chair' on a stick! (At London Harness) I felt like a fool, I look normal, I look thin and healthy but I bought the darn thing making the saleslady let me use it while she rang it up! It really helped my feet while we waited to pay for other items.

Wow, this is my longest letter to someone I never met, I bet our relatives wish we wrote this many letters to them. I hope my experiences, as well as everyone else's have helped. Have a great trip! Cynthia D.

Debbie B. on 1/15/01 at 19:21 (036653)

Hi!
I have a sweetie for a podiatrist. I've had two shots. The first one I was in so much pain, I didn't feel a thing....but it brought no relief. The second shot was easy too, just a slight pick feeling. He went in from the side, but again it brought no relief. Ice, rest and good soft support have had the best results. He taped it last week.... felt like my heel was a giant pimple and the tape was sqeezing the heck out of it. I tore it off the following morning. It was horrible. I'm still in a great deal of pain and I'm getting worried that I'll be like this forever. Sometimes I think it would just be better to cut the darn foot off!!! :-0
I hope you have good results with the shots!

Re: Thank you all for your help!

Jill P on 1/17/01 at 21:18 (036784)

Thank you all for your help! I am still a little unsure what the best approach is for me. I have scheduled an appointment for a week from Friday (26th) to have the shot in my right heel. Has anyone had really bad results from trying 1 shot? Has anyone gotten pain free after this long (2 yrs) without getting the shot? I almost feel like in the last couple days, my foot is doing better and now am wondering if I should wait a while. I just don't know if I need the shot to kick this entirely or if I should keep doing more conservative measures.

Cynthia, I was especially thankful for your post. One of the reasons I was worried about getting a wheel chair at Disney was that I don't want people to sneer at me thinking I want to use the chair to get ahead of others in line. I would in fact, NOT be comfortable doing that and was glad to read that most of the time you were able to sit in the chair and go through the regular line. You could practically be my twin with so many things in common! As for the ESWT, I read some about that a year ago when I first found this site. At your mentioning, I have done a bit of reading again. Interestingly enough, my cousin lives about 30 minutes from where Dr. Z's office is in NJ - near as I can tell from Mapquest!

I have a couple questions for you on that so maybe I should post on the ESWT threads, but I am wondering about cost and also how will you work it if you are traveling to be treated by him. Doesn't he do the one where you have to have more than one treatment??? Could you either fill me in on the boards or email me at jpete@mn.rr.com to let me know how you are planning to work your treatment? Thanks!!! :) Jill

Drl Kosova on 1/19/01 at 04:35 (036838)

Dear Jill,
Injection for plantar facsitis work to reduce the inflamation that is caused by the tight facsia pulling were it connects to the heel. Inflammation causes pain so the theory is if the injection of a cortisone with a numbing medication into the heel this will reduce the pain. I only do the injection in the side of the heel with a spray to freeze the skin.This will only reduce pain for a short period of time. I also use a mf heel cup to reduce the shock to the heel then make orthotics for longer relief. The one thing I do not see mentioned is plantar fascia stretching and calf stretching. This greatly reduces pain in the majority of my patients. Cross your leg over the other at a right angle then take the toes and ankle andbring them up towards the knee and hold it for one minute.Relax one second then do this 15 times three times a day. This is a pure plantar facsia stretch. Now take a towell with your legs straight and put it on the ball of your foot and pull with both sides of the towel towards your body and get your ankle up. Hold for one minute repeat 15 times 3times a day. It helps by elongateing the pf and takes pressure off the heel. There is a device a patient got from this site from a physical therapist to do this and she loves it. I also have pf and do what I preach when it flairs up but I am controlled by orthotics for the last 18 years. Do not go barefoot were a gym type of shoe in your house for shock absorbtion. Eswt by Ossatron is fda approved and insurances are reimbursing
but preapproval is needed.

I hope you have a great trip. Say Hi to Mickey!

Lori B/ on 1/20/01 at 10:31 (036931)

Jill, I had real success with having my feet taped. The first time the pod did it, I walked out of his office totally pain free after 6 years of agony. When I went to Europe last summer, I had him tape me again, and it really helped because we walked everywhere. My feet hurt, but only because I brought shoes that were not broken in and I got major blisters from rubbing, but my PF was great. You can leave the tape on for up to 10 days, so it might be a good idea for you to go to you pod and have him tape you now so you can try it out for awhile before you go to Disney and see if it works for you. It feels really tight at first, but give it a day or two and see how it feels. You can shower with the tape on and go swimming coz it sticks really good if you dr. does a good job.
One thing tho' if you do a lot of walking, your feet may swell from the taping, so bring along some epsom salts and soak your feet if that happens.

Karin L. on 1/14/01 at 14:21 (036599)

Jill,
When you go for the cortizone shot, ask your Dr. to use the spray to 'freeze' the area. It's a cold spray & makes the shot more tolerable. The shot itself hurts, but you'll be able to walk out of the office & drive yourself home. I found it takes about 48 hrs. to kick in, where the PF pain decreases. Most of my shots kept me pain free for about 8 weeks. I kept thinking, cool, I am healed, cured, I can walk! Unfortunately, the pain had a way of rearing its ugly head & was back. Taping sometimes works also after the shot. Hope this helps, I'm sure others will offer advice too. Keep us posted.
Karin

Susan on 1/14/01 at 15:38 (036600)

Hi Jill,

I had a cortisone shot. It hurt like the dickens only for a few seconds and then subsided and I was immediately pain free. As with Karin's experience it took about 24 hours and the pain returned for a day or two. I was told to stay off my foot as much as possible. The pain completely left for 3 months and I truly thought this was the end of my pf. Wrong, it returned and since then I've continued with various treatments and to date I'm still in pain. I'm interested in seeing other's responses to see if the shot kept them pain free for longer periods of time. Good luck.

Nancy N on 1/14/01 at 15:53 (036601)

Jill--

I've had several shots, and none of them proved to be long-lasting for me. The longest I went without pain was about two weeks, and then it began to slowly creep back in. In my experience, the first one is the most effective, and subsequent injections may still help, but not as much as the first one.

If you look around or do a search on injections, I believe you'll find that people who were injected through the bottom of the foot found them more painful than those who had them through the side. Mine were through the side and I never thought they were unbearable, though I can think of things I'd rather be doing, certainly. So you might want to talk to your doctor about exactly how he plans to give you the shot. (I think I may also have read that the side injections are less likely to atrophy the fat pad in the heel, but I am not sure about that anymore--anybody remember?)

Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

Jill P on 1/14/01 at 17:53 (036606)

Okay, I forgot to mention that I have also lost 18 pounds since September doing Weight Watchers which I believe also has been a big help. Also by baby walking since August means I do less carrying of her.

I've been doing some searching on the shots as someone suggested above and it seems that everyone who has any relief seems to only have days to weeks and a few had a few months relief. SO, now I am wondering about our trip to Disney. I had thought that I should try and 'hurry up' to get this shot and continue healing with it. Looking at the others comments on the shots, maybe I would be better off getting the shot within the month before we fly down to FL. Any comments???

UGH! I am SO sick of this darn PF! We have already booked and paid more than half of this trip so we are going. Do you think I might end up renting a wheel chair for part of each day? I feel embarassed since even though I would never take advantage of the possibility of getting on an attraction sooner because of a wheel chair, others might sneer at me believing that is why I am using one (especially if they see that I can walk some of the time).

Thanks again to all advising me about this! Jill

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/14/01 at 19:54 (036609)

Get a note from your doctor about your pf. Make sure you find out in advance about a wheel chair. So prepare yourself. May have pain and then again the shot could really help you.

Barb-NY on 1/14/01 at 20:56 (036612)

I've never had a shot in my foot (never will) but I have had 5 shots in my wrist/thumb area when I had tendontitis several years ago and 2 in my elbow a year ago. All the shots I've ever taken NEVER lasted long, from several days to 6 weeks at best. The pain always returned. I would never take a shot in my foot. Personally, I fear the pain of the shot itself and I know that I only get very temporary results...AND, shots are not very safe. They have side effects. I feel that doctors rely tooooo heavily on shots.

wendyn on 1/14/01 at 21:11 (036613)

Jill - if you need the wheelchair - take the wheelchair. Bring a cane for when you are walking and people will be more 'understanding'. Then go - and have a great time!

Re: Wheelchair and Shots, some things to keep in mind.

Kim B. on 1/14/01 at 22:14 (036618)

Hi Jill,

I've wanted to go to Disney for years, but have been waiting for 'a good time.' When you go, stay off your feet as much as possible. That alone calls for a wheel chair. As long as you know in your heart that you are using it for legitmate reasons, don't get bogged down with what other people may be thinking. For all they know you have luekeimeia (sp) and must conserve your energy. A wheel chair doesn't mean you are crippled, it just means you are limited. Like many conditions requiring the use of a wheel chair, PF is sort of a hidden disability.

Unless they have walked a mile in your shoes, most people couldn't comprehend the foot problems you've been dealing with, even if you took the time to explain it to them. Besides, just remind yourself that you're not just using it for you, you are doing it for the group you are with, and if this is what you have to do to save a vacation for your family, it's worth a few rude stares.

Back when my Doctor and I were discussing the possiblility of shots as a treatment for me, he stressed that we would definately have do it on a Friday. He said that for the best result, I would pratically have to stay off my feet altogether, and having my husband or someone around was a must. The shots are a gamble anyway you look at it. Don't get them just before the trip, because you could have complications and wouldn't want that at trip time.

I don't want to get you overly hopeful, but, there are people who were able to rid themselves of the PF with the shots. It's possible that many of those lucky people have moved on to other things and don't come here as often to discuss PF pain, which may explain why there aren't too many of those kinds of stories here. Just a dash of hope for you to keep in mind.

Now this is very important: I highly recommend that you take a refillable, wide-mouth, ice-pack bottle with you. I got mine at Walgreen's for about $11.00 to take with me on a 3 day retreat I took last fall. I don't think I could have survived away from home without it! I was able to fill it up at the ice machine,(which I'm sure your hotel will have,) and ice my feet 2-3 times a day while I was away. Gel ice packs are great at home, but, on the road, the wide-mouth, refillable kind are great because you don't have to wait for them to freeze. If you can find ice, you can take care of your feet. They get very cold, and having a small hand towel or socks on makes it even more comfortable, btw.

Good luck with your shot and your trip. I hope it all works out for you.

Sincerely, Kim B.

Bill E. on 1/15/01 at 07:24 (036627)

I had one cortisone shot about 3 months ago. The Dr. was very good at it and he mixed a small amount of anaesthetic with the cortisone (novacaine?) to minimise the pain. He did it through the bottom of the foot and it hurt quite a bit as the needle went in but wasn't too bad. The anaesthetic wore off in about 6-8 hours and it hurt a bit but then a day later it felt fine. But only for about 10 days. Since then I have read about the cortisone shots. Here are my conclusions...somewhat personal so take them at face value.
Cortisone mainly reduces swelling so it decreases the pain.
It may actually be detrimental to the overall healing and strength of the fascia.
The results vary a lot from person to person.
Most good sites recommend no more than 3 shots in a year and many discourage cortisone except for really bad pain.
Be careful...the decreased pain can fool youinto thinking that you are better and you might do something that is counterproductive, like over work your foot.

My pain isn't severe but it is chronic. I don't think that I will get another shot. Not because of the pain but because I am afraid that it isn't the long term answer for me.

Good luck! You might try a shot a day before you go to Fla. Then you will feel better when you are there. But keep up the orthotics, stretching, and minimal weight on the feet. Have you tried other non steroidal antiinflamatories (like naproxen). Ibuprophen comes to mind. It seems to work a little better for me.

Bill

Cindy K. on 1/15/01 at 13:07 (036638)

Hi Jill,

let me tell you...if you go to Disney with a wheel chair you will be the most popular person in the park. Disney is so aware of the disabled, that they will rush you to the front of the line...no waiting...whomever you travel with will be grateful that they have a place to put their packages too. I would not hesitate to use a wheel chair, it will make your waits much shorter and you will enjoy the park more.

Injections...I have had two in both feet @ the same time...they are helpful but for me, it was not worth the it after the 2nd injection. I refuse to go through that again. For me, the pain went away maybe two weeks and was back. This summer I went to Dollywood, I used painpills and it helped a great deal for me.

Have a great time in Disney,
Cindy K.

Re: Cortizone Shot & Wheelchairs at Disney

Cynthia D on 1/15/01 at 14:48 (036642)

I also have a 17 month old! My third. My pf definately got worse during pregnancy when I gained 55 pounds. I kept most of the weight on until I stopped nursing at 14 months. I have now lost 35 (50 total since the birth), and it must help, but I still have some very bad days and weeks. My only exercise now is weight lifting and using an incumbent bicycle. (On good days, sometimes tennis.) We went to Disney during my pregnacy and there was no way I could walk. I could hardly make it from the monorail to the wheelchair rental. Once I was in the chair, life in Disney was manageable. There will still be a lot of walking you must do when you get out of your chair at some rides and exhibits You MUST use one even if you get relief from the shot because while you may have less pain, you could still damage your feet worse. I know someone here mentioned no lines or waiting, but I found March of 1999, that they had eliminated the special accessibility to handicapped persons, and I had to wait in lines (in my chair for most rides) along with everyone else. And who cares what anyone else thinks, anyway. Although I can tell you not once did I get a dirty look or comment.

Also, I finally caved into the pain and applied for a handicap placard. I feel bad for worse off people and always take the furthest away spot, but it has helped tremendously. This may also help you. You sort of get used to it - it will be a happy day when I toss it, however!

Now about the shots... you can find lots of experiences on this website but I can tell you after I stopped nursing, I got my first one in both feet. I've had pf for four 1/2 years! :( I thought I was cured in both feet for three months. Then it came back with a vengance. My second shots were more painful and he must not have mixed in novocaine. I was in so much pain walking out of the drs. office, that I sat on the steps wondering how I was going to get to my car. The next day we went on vacation to Sanibel and I couldn't walk for five days because the shots had made my feet worse!!!! So don't do it too close to your trip.

I have taken Vioxx now for 7 days and it definately is helping only I get tired at 7:30 every night and usually nap on the sofa while my hubby puts the kids to bed so I won't be staying on it forever. I'm the type who usually doesn't ever sit down.

I made a big leap and made an appointment with Dr. Z for ESWT - have you read about this at all? Maybe if you do it soon, you could be better for Disney, but even then, I would rent a wheelchair. (The Disney one is slow, but if you go to Seaworld, their chairs are really fast!) We are going to Disney in March so save a chair for me!

Oh, and today at the mall (ususally avoided) we carefully planned our route so Mommy didn't have to walk too much. I saw a dream item, a 'butt chair' on a stick! (At London Harness) I felt like a fool, I look normal, I look thin and healthy but I bought the darn thing making the saleslady let me use it while she rang it up! It really helped my feet while we waited to pay for other items.

Wow, this is my longest letter to someone I never met, I bet our relatives wish we wrote this many letters to them. I hope my experiences, as well as everyone else's have helped. Have a great trip! Cynthia D.

Debbie B. on 1/15/01 at 19:21 (036653)

Hi!
I have a sweetie for a podiatrist. I've had two shots. The first one I was in so much pain, I didn't feel a thing....but it brought no relief. The second shot was easy too, just a slight pick feeling. He went in from the side, but again it brought no relief. Ice, rest and good soft support have had the best results. He taped it last week.... felt like my heel was a giant pimple and the tape was sqeezing the heck out of it. I tore it off the following morning. It was horrible. I'm still in a great deal of pain and I'm getting worried that I'll be like this forever. Sometimes I think it would just be better to cut the darn foot off!!! :-0
I hope you have good results with the shots!

Jill P on 1/17/01 at 21:18 (036784)

Thank you all for your help! I am still a little unsure what the best approach is for me. I have scheduled an appointment for a week from Friday (26th) to have the shot in my right heel. Has anyone had really bad results from trying 1 shot? Has anyone gotten pain free after this long (2 yrs) without getting the shot? I almost feel like in the last couple days, my foot is doing better and now am wondering if I should wait a while. I just don't know if I need the shot to kick this entirely or if I should keep doing more conservative measures.

Cynthia, I was especially thankful for your post. One of the reasons I was worried about getting a wheel chair at Disney was that I don't want people to sneer at me thinking I want to use the chair to get ahead of others in line. I would in fact, NOT be comfortable doing that and was glad to read that most of the time you were able to sit in the chair and go through the regular line. You could practically be my twin with so many things in common! As for the ESWT, I read some about that a year ago when I first found this site. At your mentioning, I have done a bit of reading again. Interestingly enough, my cousin lives about 30 minutes from where Dr. Z's office is in NJ - near as I can tell from Mapquest!

I have a couple questions for you on that so maybe I should post on the ESWT threads, but I am wondering about cost and also how will you work it if you are traveling to be treated by him. Doesn't he do the one where you have to have more than one treatment??? Could you either fill me in on the boards or email me at jpete@mn.rr.com to let me know how you are planning to work your treatment? Thanks!!! :) Jill

Drl Kosova on 1/19/01 at 04:35 (036838)

Dear Jill,
Injection for plantar facsitis work to reduce the inflamation that is caused by the tight facsia pulling were it connects to the heel. Inflammation causes pain so the theory is if the injection of a cortisone with a numbing medication into the heel this will reduce the pain. I only do the injection in the side of the heel with a spray to freeze the skin.This will only reduce pain for a short period of time. I also use a mf heel cup to reduce the shock to the heel then make orthotics for longer relief. The one thing I do not see mentioned is plantar fascia stretching and calf stretching. This greatly reduces pain in the majority of my patients. Cross your leg over the other at a right angle then take the toes and ankle andbring them up towards the knee and hold it for one minute.Relax one second then do this 15 times three times a day. This is a pure plantar facsia stretch. Now take a towell with your legs straight and put it on the ball of your foot and pull with both sides of the towel towards your body and get your ankle up. Hold for one minute repeat 15 times 3times a day. It helps by elongateing the pf and takes pressure off the heel. There is a device a patient got from this site from a physical therapist to do this and she loves it. I also have pf and do what I preach when it flairs up but I am controlled by orthotics for the last 18 years. Do not go barefoot were a gym type of shoe in your house for shock absorbtion. Eswt by Ossatron is fda approved and insurances are reimbursing
but preapproval is needed.

I hope you have a great trip. Say Hi to Mickey!

Lori B/ on 1/20/01 at 10:31 (036931)

Jill, I had real success with having my feet taped. The first time the pod did it, I walked out of his office totally pain free after 6 years of agony. When I went to Europe last summer, I had him tape me again, and it really helped because we walked everywhere. My feet hurt, but only because I brought shoes that were not broken in and I got major blisters from rubbing, but my PF was great. You can leave the tape on for up to 10 days, so it might be a good idea for you to go to you pod and have him tape you now so you can try it out for awhile before you go to Disney and see if it works for you. It feels really tight at first, but give it a day or two and see how it feels. You can shower with the tape on and go swimming coz it sticks really good if you dr. does a good job.
One thing tho' if you do a lot of walking, your feet may swell from the taping, so bring along some epsom salts and soak your feet if that happens.