Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Recent heel pain

Posted by Mindy C. on 1/14/01 at 17:31 (036603)

Dr. Zuckerman and Dr. Biehler,

I recently went on a 6 day hiking trip- upon return my right ankle was quite swollen and tender for 3 days. (The trip was quite rigorous, rocky and steep- I spent about 4 days hiking in very wet yet very supportive boots.) Once the swelling subsided I noticed a pain in the center of my heel. I have been trying to say off my feet as much as possible (I am a light runner 12miles per week and I have been unable to exercise) for the past two weeks and have been icing it nightly but I have noticed no improvement in the pain.

I would have sought medical tx asap but I currently live in Venezuela and I do not trust the medical care. Should I get it xrayed?

Are there stretches I should be doing?

Thank you for your help. I am unsure as to what to do and my spirits are starting to suffer!

Mindy

Re: Recent heel pain

DR. Biehler on 1/14/01 at 17:45 (036604)

If the pain is in the exact center of the heel it is probably a bursitis or bone bruse from over use. Treatment should be rest,icing on and mabe some medicine for pain. You shopuld find some improvement but it can takr quit a while. If there is no improvement or if the pain seems worse than it should, then seek medical attention. Dr. B,.

Re: Recent heel pain

DR. Biehler on 1/14/01 at 17:45 (036604)

If the pain is in the exact center of the heel it is probably a bursitis or bone bruse from over use. Treatment should be rest,icing on and mabe some medicine for pain. You shopuld find some improvement but it can takr quit a while. If there is no improvement or if the pain seems worse than it should, then seek medical attention. Dr. B,.