Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Ankle Pain after EPF surgery

Posted by Amy on 1/14/01 at 21:25 (036614)

I had EPF surgery 13 weeks ago, with greatful success I might add. I am back to walking every other day for 30 minutes and my foot only hurts in the area of incision and when I walk barefoot. However, my ankle on the inside has been hurting for about 5 weeks. It feels as if it is bruised. I told my doctor, but he says it has nothing to do with the surgery or heelspur. What is your opinion?
Thank you for this wonderful website and your time.

Re: Ankle Pain after EPF surgery

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/14/01 at 22:58 (036620)

May be compensation but that isn't important. You need to wear an ankle support and or air splint. It's sounds like the deltoid ligament which connect the foot to the ankle.

Usually after any type of heel fascia release you can get pain and or discomfort in any area of the foot and ankle due to the medial band healing. The fascia supports alot of weight with just walking . The average person weighting 125 lbs who take 3000 steps will lift the entire weight a totatl of 125,000 lbs. Now this portion of the foot is healing so other foot structures and ligaments are working ove time. This will past but if you don't treat this the healing can go for months and months

So you need to support this area

Amy on 1/16/01 at 17:59 (036707)

Where would I purchas an ankle support or air splint? Thank you for your advice. Do you find it odd that my podiatrist didn't feel that this pain was due to the surgery?

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/14/01 at 22:58 (036620)

May be compensation but that isn't important. You need to wear an ankle support and or air splint. It's sounds like the deltoid ligament which connect the foot to the ankle.

Usually after any type of heel fascia release you can get pain and or discomfort in any area of the foot and ankle due to the medial band healing. The fascia supports alot of weight with just walking . The average person weighting 125 lbs who take 3000 steps will lift the entire weight a totatl of 125,000 lbs. Now this portion of the foot is healing so other foot structures and ligaments are working ove time. This will past but if you don't treat this the healing can go for months and months

So you need to support this area

Amy on 1/16/01 at 17:59 (036707)

Where would I purchas an ankle support or air splint? Thank you for your advice. Do you find it odd that my podiatrist didn't feel that this pain was due to the surgery?