Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

New posters

Posted by Pauline on 1/15/01 at 09:42 (036632)

Scott,
It seem to me we need to encourage all of our 'new posters' to read your P.F. Book. So many times they are looking for the fast cure that they
forget to follow up their questions with reading all the material you have provided on this site.

We 'oldtimers' know our best road back to health comes from knowing what PF is, its symptoms and ALL available treatment. Your book provides the best foundation for their success in beating PF.

Re: New posters

Kate on 1/16/01 at 13:19 (036690)

Pauline,
You couldn't be more right! New visitors to our boards need to start with the basic information just as everyone else did. It's how we became such a smart bunch in the first place!
I'm adivising all of my patients whom I refer to heelspurs.com to complete the PF worksheet, and to read Scotts book.
We've found in our practice, that the more educated a patient is about his or her own diagnosis, the more they can benefit from our help.
I had a patient recently relate a story to me where a Doctor told her that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. ( She is a liscensed physical therapist with PF and spurs) And when I spoke to her, I loved the fact that I didn't have to explain every little detail. I can't begin to tell you how much I've learned from not only my patients, but from all of the people here!
So to all the new posters....do your homework, read, learn and ask questions, because only having a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

Julie on 1/20/01 at 06:28 (036920)

Hi Pauline

You are right. Of all the things that have helped me, I would put the knowledge gained from reading the PF book at the top of the list, and maybe more needs to be done to encourage new posters to read it. The trouble may be that once they discover the message board, they think all they need is an answer to their specific question, whatever it is. I've noticed that many people ask a question, get an answer, and then disappear and never post again.

Maybe, Scott, there could be something prominent at the head of the home page to steer new discoverers of the site straight to the book. As it is, you have to know you want to read a book to click on it, and people would be more likely to make that choice with more encouragement.

Julie

Kate on 1/16/01 at 13:19 (036690)

Pauline,
You couldn't be more right! New visitors to our boards need to start with the basic information just as everyone else did. It's how we became such a smart bunch in the first place!
I'm adivising all of my patients whom I refer to heelspurs.com to complete the PF worksheet, and to read Scotts book.
We've found in our practice, that the more educated a patient is about his or her own diagnosis, the more they can benefit from our help.
I had a patient recently relate a story to me where a Doctor told her that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. ( She is a liscensed physical therapist with PF and spurs) And when I spoke to her, I loved the fact that I didn't have to explain every little detail. I can't begin to tell you how much I've learned from not only my patients, but from all of the people here!
So to all the new posters....do your homework, read, learn and ask questions, because only having a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

Julie on 1/20/01 at 06:28 (036920)

Hi Pauline

You are right. Of all the things that have helped me, I would put the knowledge gained from reading the PF book at the top of the list, and maybe more needs to be done to encourage new posters to read it. The trouble may be that once they discover the message board, they think all they need is an answer to their specific question, whatever it is. I've noticed that many people ask a question, get an answer, and then disappear and never post again.

Maybe, Scott, there could be something prominent at the head of the home page to steer new discoverers of the site straight to the book. As it is, you have to know you want to read a book to click on it, and people would be more likely to make that choice with more encouragement.

Julie