Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

back problems and heel pain

Posted by Scott R on 1/15/01 at 20:45 (036655)

I thought everyone would be interested in this email I received:

Dear Scott, I have been having a foot problem this is getting worse, along
with serious back pain. Is it possible that these two problems are inter
related?

Re: back problems and heel pain

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/15/01 at 23:33 (036662)

They can be very connected. First of all having any type of foot pain can change the way you walk, causing external rotation of the hip and thus causing lower back pain. Think about what happens when you have a stone in your shoe.

Then there are specific nerve in the back in the
L4-L5 area of the back that control and give sensatiton to the foot and ankle . There is spinal stenosis that causes foot, leg and ankle pain.

Abnormal foot and lower leg biomechanic will cause lower back pain.

So in a concise answer one can cause the other and both can increase pain from each other.

Whenever talking about foot and back pain they must be evaluated together never exclude the foot when evaluating lower back pain and never leave out the back when evaluating heel pain

Re: back problems and heel pain

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/15/01 at 23:33 (036662)

They can be very connected. First of all having any type of foot pain can change the way you walk, causing external rotation of the hip and thus causing lower back pain. Think about what happens when you have a stone in your shoe.

Then there are specific nerve in the back in the
L4-L5 area of the back that control and give sensatiton to the foot and ankle . There is spinal stenosis that causes foot, leg and ankle pain.

Abnormal foot and lower leg biomechanic will cause lower back pain.

So in a concise answer one can cause the other and both can increase pain from each other.

Whenever talking about foot and back pain they must be evaluated together never exclude the foot when evaluating lower back pain and never leave out the back when evaluating heel pain