Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Surgery , recovery, and options.. ANY HELP PLEASE!!

Posted by Jay H. on 1/16/01 at 05:27 (036667)

Hello once again,
I had the partial release done almost 2 months ago, and well, there has been no relief. Its driving me nutts. I ordered the Foot stretching devices recommended and it hasnt helped much. My Dr. says that ESWT has left the country and it was only here for experimental purposes. That was my next option. Now he wants to go in and look around. And see if there is nerve damage. I do trust my dr, and he has done nothing but help or try and help my feet.
How long can I expect to be in pain from the surgery, and what other options do I have now that ESWT has left the country. I am running out of ideas other that amputation. I am having absoultley no fun! I think I have tried it all, and I am quickly running out of ideas. Should I go with a cast again, should I go for the other surgery?? HELP PLEASE. I am quitting my job because my work place is not happy because I miss so much work. Its affecting my life and my wifes too! Thanks all for your support, and I hope that I can get at least partial relief soon.

Thanks again.

Re: Surgery , recovery, and options.. ANY HELP PLEASE!!

Barbara TX on 1/16/01 at 12:42 (036682)

Jay - I'm so sorry that you are suffering. Where do you live? If you live in the U.S., ESWT has NOT 'left the country,' but is spreading everywhere, with more locations every month. Please click on the ESWT link at the top of the message board page and read up on it. If your doctor is just going to open up your foot to 'look around,' you really must ask what he's looking for and how he is going to take care of it when he finds it. ESWT can be used after heel spur surgery, but I must tell you that it takes up to six months for this kind of surgery to heal. I hope you are being really gentle on your foot while you heal. It may take much longer to heal than you expected. All the best, B.

Kay S on 1/16/01 at 18:51 (036711)

Jay--what kind of doctor would tell you that eswt 'left the country'??? I cannot believe anyone would say that, with nothing to base it on! Eswt is alive and well in a LOT of places around the USA. Search the eswt site for locations, and please think about getting another doctor. I would not let someone who would tell such a blatant lie get near me with a ten foot pole.
Kay

Jay H. on 1/16/01 at 20:44 (036718)

I do not live anywhere near the US or Canada. I am a Canadian living in Taiwan. hence the problem. My Dr. is not the problem, and he has even come to this site for help.. At least thats what he said.. I really do not know.
Again, Any advice for me would be great. Now that you all know that I live in Taiwan, does that change anything.
jay

Lori E. on 1/17/01 at 01:23 (036735)

Jay,
I am really sorry about your situation. I have been where you are. I have lost my job because my employer didn't understand how much the pain was effecting me. I am luck that I have a very understanding husband.
Is there any way you can come back to the States to get EWST? How about going to Europe? If you can travel to get ESWT I would try that before another surgery if I were you.
I have had PF for 18 mos. and have been at home since last Aug. I had ESWT last month and am starting to think that I will need another treatment. But some people get great improvement from one treatment. My view is anything is better than the pain, except another surgery.
If I were you I would try to educate your employer about chronic pain and I would seek a second opinion about going in again to 'look around'. That doesn't seem like the solution to me.
There is some information at the Mayo Clinic health oasis web site about chronic pain, and the pain cycle. Good luck.

Re: Dr's please respond

Jay H. on 1/17/01 at 22:15 (036785)

Please Docs.. Respond to this. I need some advice.
Thanks

Barbara TX on 1/16/01 at 12:42 (036682)

Jay - I'm so sorry that you are suffering. Where do you live? If you live in the U.S., ESWT has NOT 'left the country,' but is spreading everywhere, with more locations every month. Please click on the ESWT link at the top of the message board page and read up on it. If your doctor is just going to open up your foot to 'look around,' you really must ask what he's looking for and how he is going to take care of it when he finds it. ESWT can be used after heel spur surgery, but I must tell you that it takes up to six months for this kind of surgery to heal. I hope you are being really gentle on your foot while you heal. It may take much longer to heal than you expected. All the best, B.

Kay S on 1/16/01 at 18:51 (036711)

Jay--what kind of doctor would tell you that eswt 'left the country'??? I cannot believe anyone would say that, with nothing to base it on! Eswt is alive and well in a LOT of places around the USA. Search the eswt site for locations, and please think about getting another doctor. I would not let someone who would tell such a blatant lie get near me with a ten foot pole.
Kay

Jay H. on 1/16/01 at 20:44 (036718)

I do not live anywhere near the US or Canada. I am a Canadian living in Taiwan. hence the problem. My Dr. is not the problem, and he has even come to this site for help.. At least thats what he said.. I really do not know.
Again, Any advice for me would be great. Now that you all know that I live in Taiwan, does that change anything.
jay

Lori E. on 1/17/01 at 01:23 (036735)

Jay,
I am really sorry about your situation. I have been where you are. I have lost my job because my employer didn't understand how much the pain was effecting me. I am luck that I have a very understanding husband.
Is there any way you can come back to the States to get EWST? How about going to Europe? If you can travel to get ESWT I would try that before another surgery if I were you.
I have had PF for 18 mos. and have been at home since last Aug. I had ESWT last month and am starting to think that I will need another treatment. But some people get great improvement from one treatment. My view is anything is better than the pain, except another surgery.
If I were you I would try to educate your employer about chronic pain and I would seek a second opinion about going in again to 'look around'. That doesn't seem like the solution to me.
There is some information at the Mayo Clinic health oasis web site about chronic pain, and the pain cycle. Good luck.

Re: Dr's please respond

Jay H. on 1/17/01 at 22:15 (036785)

Please Docs.. Respond to this. I need some advice.
Thanks