Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Shocking news

Posted by Barbara TX on 1/16/01 at 13:14 (036689)

I've just returned from the second zap, and the good Dr. Z found also a neuroma/entrapment between the third and fourth toe and so I got my heel zapped and my forefoot shot and really had quite a nice time (really, believe me). I had the procedure done without any nerve block, and I must say that it felt just like it did WITH the block. No difference, and I was completely comfortable. We started with low energy (1500) and worked up to 3000 in no time. Not a problem, so Uncle Steve - don't worry about it. I really enjoyed Dr. Z's company and he was kind enough to wear his cowboy hat for part of the treatment, and so I felt right at home. Never has a visit to any sort of doctor felt so much like just dropping in on my friends. Afterwards I prescribed margaritas for Kate and myself and a little local pub, and she obeyed my instructions to the letter. It was so nice getting to know her better. Thanks Kate!

Right now I am definately in full recovery mode. My neuroma is giving me lots of trouble, making it hard to determine the extent of the heel pain, but my heel is certainly not worse (I worried about that). The heel still bothers me most in the morning and after sitting awhile. I showed most of my progress AFTER 12 weeks last time, and so I have set my expectations accordingly. Every once in awhile I feel the same 'blush' of heat in my heel that I remember from last time (this is painless). Yes, I am still walking barefoot - and Dr. Z was right he said that the reason for my relief was that barefoot sometimes feels better with a neuroma in the interspace between these two particular toes. So, unless you have this condition, bare feet is probably not the best idea.

So, I DID IT. And I really thank God that it was made as painless as possible to travel such a distance and be away from my kids. Lots of nice things happened to me on my trip - my husband helped to install new carpet and pad in our apartment while I was gone, and I ran into a Dansko shoe outlet right out in the middle of nowhere PA. I bought two pairs that felt comfortable immediately. Both my flights were half-full and on-time, and the weather was great. I really did enjoy driving around by myself, although I did almost crash into a toll both on the Deleware Memorial Bridge when talking on the cell phone. I suppose then it would have been a Memorial to me too, then! But, I have survived and I'm creeping around the house. How people can run marathons after this, I have no idea. I am just not on that kind of healing schedule, I guess.

Thanks, thanks, thanks Dr. Z.

Re: Shocking news

Nancy N on 1/16/01 at 13:49 (036695)

I was wondering when you'd be returning from your trip! I'm glad it went so well, and that you found out about this other problem. Is there a particular treatment for that, or is it something that will go away with time?

Where was this shoe outlet you found--I'm curious where 'nowhere' is in my home state ;) (actually, I think there are probably many 'nowheres' in PA!). If it's anywhere near my parents' place (York or Lancaster) I might have to plan a visit. Though, we won't even go into the cell-phone-while-driving stuff!!!

Welcome back.

Kate on 1/16/01 at 13:56 (036696)

Barb,
Did you talk to your doc about the dehydrated alcohol injections? We've had two patients who are now pain free after that treatment.
Personally I have more pain relief when the alcohol injected is well hydrated, but that's another issue.
So, almost took out a toll booth, huh?
I'm glad you had a good visit, it's probably a good mental health thing for you to get away every once in awhile.
Talk to you soon,
Kate

Steve P on 1/16/01 at 18:39 (036710)

Sounds good, Barb! I expect to be going next month. Just had my MRI yesterday & am awaiting results.

Kate has applied to become my NJ niece, so I'll have to accept her based on your high recommendation.

Steve

Barbara TX on 1/17/01 at 00:33 (036733)

The Dansko outlet is about five minutes outside of Oxford, PA. I think that's at least a half hour outside of Lancaster. Sorry to call this the middle of nowhere, but I LIKE the middle of nowhere, stuck as I am in big D. I really love that area of the country. When I was babysitting for my little neice and nephew we had our noses stuck to the window watching the Amish horse and buggies go by. I could drive on those little one-lane roads forever, and listening to Frank Sinatra and driving really fast up and down those hills is even better. B.

Re: TO KATE

Barbara TX on 1/17/01 at 00:49 (036734)

About the dehydrated alcohol injections - I was wondering WHEN I should decide to get another one. Will I improve over the course of a week/month? It still hurts, but less than yesterday. I have to say that I am so glad this thing flared just before seeing Dr. Z. I think that it contributed greatly to my pain but I just didn't know what in the $%$# it was. So, tell me about my timetable on this one, because if it should be significantly improved by shooting the thing up again quickly, I'll do it.

It really is nice to get away sometimes... I NEVER get away because of this pf. B.

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/17/01 at 19:37 (036776)

has the injection help the pain? If you get any improvement from the injections then you should have an additional injection anywhere from 10 days to two weeks. hot soaks can help if the area is sore from the injection. You can have up to seven injections. It usually take about two or three to feel so relief it this is going to happen. So tell me what the level of pain and or relief is with the alcohol injections.

Re: TO DR. Z

Barbara TX on 1/19/01 at 10:06 (036856)

Yes, the injection helped a little, but I noticed an increase of pain last night after I went to the drugstore... so since it helped a little, I will be going in for another injection on Monday with my DPM here in town. From what I remember, the nerve tries to grow back, doesn't it? Isn't that just like my $^&#^@% foot, to avoid healing my heel for a year and SUPER healing my neuroma. Thank you, evil feet! My DPM (Jay Lifshen) has also started doing Ossatron. I will give y'all the skinny after I get the details on Monday (I think he has only done two so far....?) They say that 'insurance covers it' but I still don't know how they are pulling that off. Is this why that Healthtronics stock shot up? Just curious, folks.

I think I am getting some improvement in my heel, but my perception of the pain is all mixed up because of the neuroma. So, I'll let you know what happens after the second shot, which will be ten days apart from the last.

Oh, I watched your minimal incision video. Very, very cool. But I must say that I couldn't finish eating my tortilla, which can also qualify MIS as a form of weight control. In my next life I will be a skinny podiatrist. B.

Nancy N on 1/16/01 at 13:49 (036695)

I was wondering when you'd be returning from your trip! I'm glad it went so well, and that you found out about this other problem. Is there a particular treatment for that, or is it something that will go away with time?

Where was this shoe outlet you found--I'm curious where 'nowhere' is in my home state ;) (actually, I think there are probably many 'nowheres' in PA!). If it's anywhere near my parents' place (York or Lancaster) I might have to plan a visit. Though, we won't even go into the cell-phone-while-driving stuff!!!

Welcome back.

Kate on 1/16/01 at 13:56 (036696)

Barb,
Did you talk to your doc about the dehydrated alcohol injections? We've had two patients who are now pain free after that treatment.
Personally I have more pain relief when the alcohol injected is well hydrated, but that's another issue.
So, almost took out a toll booth, huh?
I'm glad you had a good visit, it's probably a good mental health thing for you to get away every once in awhile.
Talk to you soon,
Kate

Steve P on 1/16/01 at 18:39 (036710)

Sounds good, Barb! I expect to be going next month. Just had my MRI yesterday & am awaiting results.

Kate has applied to become my NJ niece, so I'll have to accept her based on your high recommendation.

Steve

Barbara TX on 1/17/01 at 00:33 (036733)

The Dansko outlet is about five minutes outside of Oxford, PA. I think that's at least a half hour outside of Lancaster. Sorry to call this the middle of nowhere, but I LIKE the middle of nowhere, stuck as I am in big D. I really love that area of the country. When I was babysitting for my little neice and nephew we had our noses stuck to the window watching the Amish horse and buggies go by. I could drive on those little one-lane roads forever, and listening to Frank Sinatra and driving really fast up and down those hills is even better. B.

Barbara TX on 1/17/01 at 00:49 (036734)

About the dehydrated alcohol injections - I was wondering WHEN I should decide to get another one. Will I improve over the course of a week/month? It still hurts, but less than yesterday. I have to say that I am so glad this thing flared just before seeing Dr. Z. I think that it contributed greatly to my pain but I just didn't know what in the $%$# it was. So, tell me about my timetable on this one, because if it should be significantly improved by shooting the thing up again quickly, I'll do it.

It really is nice to get away sometimes... I NEVER get away because of this pf. B.

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/17/01 at 19:37 (036776)

has the injection help the pain? If you get any improvement from the injections then you should have an additional injection anywhere from 10 days to two weeks. hot soaks can help if the area is sore from the injection. You can have up to seven injections. It usually take about two or three to feel so relief it this is going to happen. So tell me what the level of pain and or relief is with the alcohol injections.

Re: TO DR. Z

Barbara TX on 1/19/01 at 10:06 (036856)

Yes, the injection helped a little, but I noticed an increase of pain last night after I went to the drugstore... so since it helped a little, I will be going in for another injection on Monday with my DPM here in town. From what I remember, the nerve tries to grow back, doesn't it? Isn't that just like my $^&#^@% foot, to avoid healing my heel for a year and SUPER healing my neuroma. Thank you, evil feet! My DPM (Jay Lifshen) has also started doing Ossatron. I will give y'all the skinny after I get the details on Monday (I think he has only done two so far....?) They say that 'insurance covers it' but I still don't know how they are pulling that off. Is this why that Healthtronics stock shot up? Just curious, folks.

I think I am getting some improvement in my heel, but my perception of the pain is all mixed up because of the neuroma. So, I'll let you know what happens after the second shot, which will be ten days apart from the last.

Oh, I watched your minimal incision video. Very, very cool. But I must say that I couldn't finish eating my tortilla, which can also qualify MIS as a form of weight control. In my next life I will be a skinny podiatrist. B.