Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

A bit of advice please

Posted by Annabelle J on 1/16/01 at 17:33 (036705)

I have been suffering from what has, until recently, been diagnosed as PF. Seem to have the usual symptoms - pain on the inside of my foot, worse in the morning on standing, tends to abate a little during the day but practically crippling at its worst. I have had steroid injections in the past.
I was referred to a physiotherapist who now says something about how my tendon sheath leading to my big toe is inflamed and that I have a lot of 'crunchy' inflammation in my foot - is this the same as PF?
She is giving me ultrasound treatment on it - I was a little perplexed at first as I thought this was only used for pregnancy scans (!) but she says that it breaks down inflammation - if it does this, does the inflammation just move elsewhere in the body or does it vanish completely?
My other question is, I have also been referred to a biomechanic at another hospital. What do they do and why are they different from physiotherapists?
Sorry about all the questions but it is nice to know what is going on with your own feet!
Thanks
Annabelle

Re: A bit of advice please

Dr.Zuckerman on 1/16/01 at 20:58 (036719)

Hi,

Ok let see what we can answer. Ultrasound stimulates blood flow to the area that it is used on. It is helpful for tendonitis which it sounds like you have in the flexor tendon to your big toe This is the one you use to flex your big toe up and down.

I think that a biomechanis is someone who will examine you walking pattern this is what we call a gait pattern and examine how your foot is
functioning . They were try to determine if some king of foot orthosis is beneficial to you and if this will help the pain .

I would read the heelspurs. com online book about all of the treatments and causes of heel pain. Hope i have given you a good start.

Re: A bit of advice please

Dr.Zuckerman on 1/16/01 at 20:58 (036719)

Hi,

Ok let see what we can answer. Ultrasound stimulates blood flow to the area that it is used on. It is helpful for tendonitis which it sounds like you have in the flexor tendon to your big toe This is the one you use to flex your big toe up and down.

I think that a biomechanis is someone who will examine you walking pattern this is what we call a gait pattern and examine how your foot is
functioning . They were try to determine if some king of foot orthosis is beneficial to you and if this will help the pain .

I would read the heelspurs. com online book about all of the treatments and causes of heel pain. Hope i have given you a good start.