Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Another New ESWT Facility

Posted by Dr. Marlene Reid on 1/16/01 at 23:19 (036729)

I'm happy to announce one of the newest ESWT locations in the Midwest - in the Chicagoland area. Dr. Lawrence Kosova and I will be the first docs to provide Ossa Tron ESWT in the Chicagoland area - tomorrow. We were recently chosen to be among the first group of surgeons trained on the Ossa Tron by Healthtronics. Thanks to you all on this site for giving us some insight on the patients' perspective. Our practice has always been approx. 40% heel pain, but we've come to realize there are a whole lot of you out there that have been suffering and in disguist with failure of other conservative treatments. I just had a patient find me off this site the other day who has been in severe pain, depression, etc. for 6 years and stopped looking for treatment 2 years ago until he heard about ESWT. We are very excited and do think this will bring a great deal of relief to a lot of people. Thanks.

Re: Another New ESWT Facility

Dr Zuckerman on 1/17/01 at 17:24 (036766)

Congradulations and I wish you the best. ESWT is going to help alot of people in your area and i am glad that more and more people and doctors are understanding ESWT and how it can benefit the pain and depresion that it is causing . Do you realize that about 40 million suffer from Heel pain

Kay S on 1/17/01 at 19:44 (036778)

Dr. Reid-- for the record, where are you exactly? I also live in Illinois, though I had my eswt in NJ with Dr. Z and am very satisfied that I did this. However, I am a nurse, and would like to be able to tell someone of a closer location just in case the question comes up. Also, do you know yet if you will be receiving any insurance payments for the tx?
Thanks.
Kay

Dr. Marlene Reid on 1/18/01 at 17:14 (036809)

Hi Kay, my office is 30 minutes SW of the city in Westmont, which is close to Downers Grove and Oakbrook. We have patients from both the city (easy to get to with 290 or I55 and also the north suburbs using 294. Were about 20-25 minutes from Ohare and 15 minutes from Midway. Thanks for asking. I'm board certified by both the American Board of Podiatric Surgery and the American Board of Podiatric Orthopedics.

Yes, we do anticipate insurance reimbursment. We have already gotten several patients the predetermination needed to be sure of payment. Healthtronics is also working on securing insurance approval.

Feel free to call if you have any more question. (630) 852-8650

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/18/01 at 20:21 (036819)

Are you an office location or is the ossatron in a ASC. It appears that all of the machines are in ASC to try to capture the faculity fee. Let's talk up front. No one seems to know or want to discuss the how heathronic or Health South is billing the insurance. Could you please enlighten this board.,

I believe that all patients should know what the fee is and what the insurance company is paying if at all. So far all we hear is insurance coverage is pending. It is true the fee for the ossatron is $6000 per foot and $7800 for two. What is the deductable what is the co-pay,.

i am sure that the heelspurs.com people will just like to know the fact just the fact.

Dr. Marlene Reid on 1/18/01 at 20:43 (036821)

Honestly, no one knows yet what the U/C is going to be. There is a fee from Healthtronics for the useage and then there will be a professional fee. The average fee (so I've heard) is $1500 for the professional fee (we're not quite sure what we are going to charge, but we will likely accept the U/C)and I think Healthtronics will be going along with the U/C. At least I hope. I am an office based facility, there are a few of us in Ill, I'm not sure about other states. GA has quite a few, too. But I do know that Healthtronics is currently only targeting facilities and hospitals for the time being. To me its really the same when I have to rent or use another companies equipment such as an arthroscope. I don't own a scope so I have an equiptment co bring in theirs and they bill for it. There is no way I can buy any shockwave devise. Do you own yours? Do you allow other pods to use it in your office or theirs? This really is all so new. Were you around when LASER first started?

Are you going to be in New Orleans? We (my husband, Dr. Larry Kosova and I) would really like to meet you. If not maybe we could talk soon. We hope you don't mind us joining in on some of the conversations, but we've found this site fascinating (and addicting)! We hope to talk to you soon.

Marlene Reid

Kay S on 1/19/01 at 08:30 (036846)

Dr. Marlene: How did you become addicted so soon? It took most of us at least a few weeks to become obsessed with this site, wondering during the day 'I wonder how xxx did with her MRI, I wonder how xxx did at his doctor visit, I wonder if xxx decided to have the surgery........etc.'.
Cindy is talking about a 12-step program. If you need a sponsor, you can count on me!
This whole group is really no-holds-barred. All of us are patients with chronic foot problems, and there is nothing you could mention that at least one of us has not tried. So as a doctor treating people like us, ask away if you think a patient's input could be helpful to one of your patients. The thing we like best about our online docs is that they don't think they know everything and are willing to learn from those of us who have 'been there, done that'. Dr. Z. says he learns every day from us. And we appreciate his professional input, as we will yours. Since we are growing, Dr. Z and Dr. B could probably use some help here! Is your hubby a pod too?
Kay

Dr. Marlene Reid on 1/19/01 at 09:08 (036848)

Hi Kay, I guess I just have an addictive personality.

Okay, I have one for all of you. I have a patient that had bilateral plantar fascia release (3 weeks apart), she did fine and then about 2 months later, developed what I think is DISTAL PF. Has anyone every gone through the same type of pain ie morning and after rest pain at the ball of the foot??? Help. MRI was negative and an isolated injection did help but not fully. She's going through US now. Thanks

Cindy K. on 1/20/01 at 18:58 (036960)

Kay, I am not sure that Dr. Marlene is ready for the 12 step program....Does she qualify in the first step? To be a sponser takes a good deal of energy, and dedication...one that I am sure you have.

1. To admit to another human being and heelspurs.com that I have foot pain.

Cindy K.

Cindy K on 1/20/01 at 19:03 (036961)

Hi Dr. Marlene,

Just to let you know that I had an Ossatron Txmt in Texas about 5 weeks ago. The total cost so far was 4,300 for both feet. It was done at a surgi-center. My insurance company is to pay 80%...I have not had any bills as of yet...but when they start comming in I will let you know.
Cindy K.

Martha B. on 1/20/01 at 19:46 (036967)

Dr. M
I had ossatron in Toronto by Dr. Galea Sept of 99 and am doing extremely well. I paid $1500 for 1 foot and although I had bilateral pf the untreated foot improved dramatically after tx. Dr. said this is common as the gait improves and limping stops. I am a BIG ossatron fan as it helped me so much and kept me from early retirement.

Dr. Marlene on 1/20/01 at 21:27 (036973)

Well, I did have heel pain during both my pregnancies. I have been meaning to ask my OB if its common with pregnancy. It is common with recent weight gain. By the way the people I spoke to involved with the FDA study found no difference in the results of OssaTron with heavy individuals. Whats step2???

Dr. Reid on 1/20/01 at 21:29 (036974)

That's a really good point. Even when treating people with standard conservative treatments, I rarely inject the more recent foot. it usually does go away when the pain of the first goes away.

Re: Another New ESWT Facility - to Cindy

Barbara TX on 1/21/01 at 16:41 (037009)

Cindy - Could you tell us where the facility is that you got your Ossatron treatment in Texas? Thanks! B.

Martha B. on 1/21/01 at 16:57 (037013)

Cindy told me it was Dr. Marymont in Houston Texas. Someone at church told me there is a doctor in Tyler Texas who is getting one of the machines-dont know if it is ossatron/orbasone. I can get you the name and info if needed. Surely Dallas will have 1 soon.

SuzanneK on 1/21/01 at 17:37 (037025)

My podiatrist here in San Antonio has just recently acqired an Ossatron. He and his partner were both trained in its use in December.

Re: Re:developing PF during pregnancy

Jill P on 1/21/01 at 21:19 (037041)

Hi there! I wanted to respond about developing pain during pregnancy. My pod said that it's common to start during pregnancy not only because of the increase in weight but also because the 'relaxin' hormone which helps the pelvis loosen to allow baby through during birth also allows the bones and ligaments to sort of relax and put more pressure on the heel/plantar. My second pregnancy was when my PF started and with my baby 17 months the pain is still with me. Jill

Barbara TX on 1/22/01 at 00:35 (037051)

You might do a search on 'pregnancy' or 'nursing' on heelspurs.com. You are also most likely walking and standing more with two children (the toddler alone keeps you on your feet much more). Your POD's theory makes sense to me! Getting time off your feet may seem like the most impossible idea I could mention, but young moms really have to be creative to heel this thing. Look for lots of areas in your life where standing can be cut out:

Change diapers kneeling on the floor or bed and not a changing table
Get very good at sweetly getting children to pick up their own toys (reward, reward, reward)
Get a swiveling office chair for the kitchen for cooking (sit or kneel)
Have a large wicker basket on the steps with things to go upstairs/ or in certain rooms to eliminate steps
Use the internet to shop as much as you can (even for food)

Good luck to you! B.

Cindy K on 1/23/01 at 18:42 (037162)

Sure Martha,
My doctor's (Marymont) office is 6550 fannin Sutie 2525, Houston TX phone is 1-800-545-6784. The acutal procedure was done @ the SurgiCenter of Houston.

It will be 6 weeks on Monday 29th....I am getting better everyday. In the beginning I thought I was cured, but found that it was not that easy. I have had good days and bad, but the past week...I feel very optimistic. Today while walking on the LSU campus...It dawned on me that I was walking at a fast pace and had no pain...none....zip...notta....it was so cool. I just wanted to keep walking. Then I said to myself, this is not for real, the pain will show up later in the day...And you know what it is now 6:30pm...and right now I do not have any pain. It has been a long time since I could have that freedom. So for today, the Ossatron worked for me...I just hope I continue on the path of healing.
Cindy K.

Cindy K on 1/23/01 at 18:46 (037164)

Yes Judy, I did post the code...CPT code is 28899...but that is just a miscellaneous code that is used for surgical procedures. My Insurance Company is State Group (Louisiana).

I am still waiting to see my bills, but they said the would pay 80%...still waiting.

Cindy K.

Dr Zuckerman on 1/17/01 at 17:24 (036766)

Congradulations and I wish you the best. ESWT is going to help alot of people in your area and i am glad that more and more people and doctors are understanding ESWT and how it can benefit the pain and depresion that it is causing . Do you realize that about 40 million suffer from Heel pain

Kay S on 1/17/01 at 19:44 (036778)

Dr. Reid-- for the record, where are you exactly? I also live in Illinois, though I had my eswt in NJ with Dr. Z and am very satisfied that I did this. However, I am a nurse, and would like to be able to tell someone of a closer location just in case the question comes up. Also, do you know yet if you will be receiving any insurance payments for the tx?
Thanks.
Kay

Dr. Marlene Reid on 1/18/01 at 17:14 (036809)

Hi Kay, my office is 30 minutes SW of the city in Westmont, which is close to Downers Grove and Oakbrook. We have patients from both the city (easy to get to with 290 or I55 and also the north suburbs using 294. Were about 20-25 minutes from Ohare and 15 minutes from Midway. Thanks for asking. I'm board certified by both the American Board of Podiatric Surgery and the American Board of Podiatric Orthopedics.

Yes, we do anticipate insurance reimbursment. We have already gotten several patients the predetermination needed to be sure of payment. Healthtronics is also working on securing insurance approval.

Feel free to call if you have any more question. (630) 852-8650

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/18/01 at 20:21 (036819)

Are you an office location or is the ossatron in a ASC. It appears that all of the machines are in ASC to try to capture the faculity fee. Let's talk up front. No one seems to know or want to discuss the how heathronic or Health South is billing the insurance. Could you please enlighten this board.,

I believe that all patients should know what the fee is and what the insurance company is paying if at all. So far all we hear is insurance coverage is pending. It is true the fee for the ossatron is $6000 per foot and $7800 for two. What is the deductable what is the co-pay,.

i am sure that the heelspurs.com people will just like to know the fact just the fact.

Dr. Marlene Reid on 1/18/01 at 20:43 (036821)

Honestly, no one knows yet what the U/C is going to be. There is a fee from Healthtronics for the useage and then there will be a professional fee. The average fee (so I've heard) is $1500 for the professional fee (we're not quite sure what we are going to charge, but we will likely accept the U/C)and I think Healthtronics will be going along with the U/C. At least I hope. I am an office based facility, there are a few of us in Ill, I'm not sure about other states. GA has quite a few, too. But I do know that Healthtronics is currently only targeting facilities and hospitals for the time being. To me its really the same when I have to rent or use another companies equipment such as an arthroscope. I don't own a scope so I have an equiptment co bring in theirs and they bill for it. There is no way I can buy any shockwave devise. Do you own yours? Do you allow other pods to use it in your office or theirs? This really is all so new. Were you around when LASER first started?

Are you going to be in New Orleans? We (my husband, Dr. Larry Kosova and I) would really like to meet you. If not maybe we could talk soon. We hope you don't mind us joining in on some of the conversations, but we've found this site fascinating (and addicting)! We hope to talk to you soon.

Marlene Reid

Kay S on 1/19/01 at 08:30 (036846)

Dr. Marlene: How did you become addicted so soon? It took most of us at least a few weeks to become obsessed with this site, wondering during the day 'I wonder how xxx did with her MRI, I wonder how xxx did at his doctor visit, I wonder if xxx decided to have the surgery........etc.'.
Cindy is talking about a 12-step program. If you need a sponsor, you can count on me!
This whole group is really no-holds-barred. All of us are patients with chronic foot problems, and there is nothing you could mention that at least one of us has not tried. So as a doctor treating people like us, ask away if you think a patient's input could be helpful to one of your patients. The thing we like best about our online docs is that they don't think they know everything and are willing to learn from those of us who have 'been there, done that'. Dr. Z. says he learns every day from us. And we appreciate his professional input, as we will yours. Since we are growing, Dr. Z and Dr. B could probably use some help here! Is your hubby a pod too?
Kay

Dr. Marlene Reid on 1/19/01 at 09:08 (036848)

Hi Kay, I guess I just have an addictive personality.

Okay, I have one for all of you. I have a patient that had bilateral plantar fascia release (3 weeks apart), she did fine and then about 2 months later, developed what I think is DISTAL PF. Has anyone every gone through the same type of pain ie morning and after rest pain at the ball of the foot??? Help. MRI was negative and an isolated injection did help but not fully. She's going through US now. Thanks

Cindy K. on 1/20/01 at 18:58 (036960)

Kay, I am not sure that Dr. Marlene is ready for the 12 step program....Does she qualify in the first step? To be a sponser takes a good deal of energy, and dedication...one that I am sure you have.

1. To admit to another human being and heelspurs.com that I have foot pain.

Cindy K.

Cindy K on 1/20/01 at 19:03 (036961)

Hi Dr. Marlene,

Just to let you know that I had an Ossatron Txmt in Texas about 5 weeks ago. The total cost so far was 4,300 for both feet. It was done at a surgi-center. My insurance company is to pay 80%...I have not had any bills as of yet...but when they start comming in I will let you know.
Cindy K.

Martha B. on 1/20/01 at 19:46 (036967)

Dr. M
I had ossatron in Toronto by Dr. Galea Sept of 99 and am doing extremely well. I paid $1500 for 1 foot and although I had bilateral pf the untreated foot improved dramatically after tx. Dr. said this is common as the gait improves and limping stops. I am a BIG ossatron fan as it helped me so much and kept me from early retirement.

Dr. Marlene on 1/20/01 at 21:27 (036973)

Well, I did have heel pain during both my pregnancies. I have been meaning to ask my OB if its common with pregnancy. It is common with recent weight gain. By the way the people I spoke to involved with the FDA study found no difference in the results of OssaTron with heavy individuals. Whats step2???

Dr. Reid on 1/20/01 at 21:29 (036974)

That's a really good point. Even when treating people with standard conservative treatments, I rarely inject the more recent foot. it usually does go away when the pain of the first goes away.

Barbara TX on 1/21/01 at 16:41 (037009)

Cindy - Could you tell us where the facility is that you got your Ossatron treatment in Texas? Thanks! B.

Martha B. on 1/21/01 at 16:57 (037013)

Cindy told me it was Dr. Marymont in Houston Texas. Someone at church told me there is a doctor in Tyler Texas who is getting one of the machines-dont know if it is ossatron/orbasone. I can get you the name and info if needed. Surely Dallas will have 1 soon.

SuzanneK on 1/21/01 at 17:37 (037025)

My podiatrist here in San Antonio has just recently acqired an Ossatron. He and his partner were both trained in its use in December.

Jill P on 1/21/01 at 21:19 (037041)

Hi there! I wanted to respond about developing pain during pregnancy. My pod said that it's common to start during pregnancy not only because of the increase in weight but also because the 'relaxin' hormone which helps the pelvis loosen to allow baby through during birth also allows the bones and ligaments to sort of relax and put more pressure on the heel/plantar. My second pregnancy was when my PF started and with my baby 17 months the pain is still with me. Jill

Barbara TX on 1/22/01 at 00:35 (037051)

You might do a search on 'pregnancy' or 'nursing' on heelspurs.com. You are also most likely walking and standing more with two children (the toddler alone keeps you on your feet much more). Your POD's theory makes sense to me! Getting time off your feet may seem like the most impossible idea I could mention, but young moms really have to be creative to heel this thing. Look for lots of areas in your life where standing can be cut out:

Change diapers kneeling on the floor or bed and not a changing table
Get very good at sweetly getting children to pick up their own toys (reward, reward, reward)
Get a swiveling office chair for the kitchen for cooking (sit or kneel)
Have a large wicker basket on the steps with things to go upstairs/ or in certain rooms to eliminate steps
Use the internet to shop as much as you can (even for food)

Good luck to you! B.

Cindy K on 1/23/01 at 18:42 (037162)

Sure Martha,
My doctor's (Marymont) office is 6550 fannin Sutie 2525, Houston TX phone is 1-800-545-6784. The acutal procedure was done @ the SurgiCenter of Houston.

It will be 6 weeks on Monday 29th....I am getting better everyday. In the beginning I thought I was cured, but found that it was not that easy. I have had good days and bad, but the past week...I feel very optimistic. Today while walking on the LSU campus...It dawned on me that I was walking at a fast pace and had no pain...none....zip...notta....it was so cool. I just wanted to keep walking. Then I said to myself, this is not for real, the pain will show up later in the day...And you know what it is now 6:30pm...and right now I do not have any pain. It has been a long time since I could have that freedom. So for today, the Ossatron worked for me...I just hope I continue on the path of healing.
Cindy K.

Cindy K on 1/23/01 at 18:46 (037164)

Yes Judy, I did post the code...CPT code is 28899...but that is just a miscellaneous code that is used for surgical procedures. My Insurance Company is State Group (Louisiana).

I am still waiting to see my bills, but they said the would pay 80%...still waiting.

Cindy K.