Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

supination and shoes, again

Posted by Lori E. on 1/17/01 at 00:28 (036732)

Okay,
I am going to raise this subject again in light of Dr. Z's article. What shoes are good for people who supinate? It seems like orthodics are not the way to go and I need shoes!(Kate says I have shoes issues, I am still trying to find one pair of shoes to get me thru the rest of MN winter.)
I am still going back and forth with Birkenstock in Germany about the fit of the Calgary boot, I won't order then until I get an answer from them. I don't want to order the boot and have to return it.
Are there good shoes out there for those of us with high arches who walk on the outside rim of their feet? Brand names would be appreciated. I want to get some boots. The boots I have for winter are not doing the job, I went back to school again today and have pain. The Born boots I have have a stiff sole and don't bend in the arch area, but they don't have enough arch support. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Re: supination and shoes, again

JudyS on 1/17/01 at 10:44 (036748)

Lori - I too have the problem of high arches and I agree that it seems like most info and treatments are directed at the overpronater instead.
I have to say that the one brand of shoes that I've gotten the most relief from is Josef Seibel. In fact I just bought my second pair when I was in San Luis Obispo last week. Now you'd think that a big city like San Diego, where I live, would have a good supply of better-quality shoes, and I'm sure it does, it's just that the shoe store Takken's in SLO has a very good, very concentrated supply and it doesn't require running all over the place to find! Our BobG referred me to that store last summer.
Anyway, I now have two pair of Seibel's - the first are open clogs, the second are clog-style with a strap around the heel. I find the strapped one even more comfy than the open clog.

Bob G. on 1/19/01 at 02:12 (036832)

Thanks, Judy, for the press...Lori, I suggest finding a Pedorthist and discussing this issue between the four of you (you, the Pedorthist, and your two feet).

Dennis, at Takken's in San Luis Obispo has been helpful to me.

Best of luck! BG

Lori E. on 1/19/01 at 17:46 (036881)

Thanks for your responses. I was thinking just that. There is a pedorthist who comes to a nearby shoes store and I am going to call them and see if I can see him the next time he is in.

AnnabelM on 1/19/01 at 18:54 (036888)

I would appreciate anything you come up with on shoes for supination. I switch around a lot, But nothing seems to really do the trick. Thanks

JudyS on 1/17/01 at 10:44 (036748)

Lori - I too have the problem of high arches and I agree that it seems like most info and treatments are directed at the overpronater instead.
I have to say that the one brand of shoes that I've gotten the most relief from is Josef Seibel. In fact I just bought my second pair when I was in San Luis Obispo last week. Now you'd think that a big city like San Diego, where I live, would have a good supply of better-quality shoes, and I'm sure it does, it's just that the shoe store Takken's in SLO has a very good, very concentrated supply and it doesn't require running all over the place to find! Our BobG referred me to that store last summer.
Anyway, I now have two pair of Seibel's - the first are open clogs, the second are clog-style with a strap around the heel. I find the strapped one even more comfy than the open clog.

Bob G. on 1/19/01 at 02:12 (036832)

Thanks, Judy, for the press...Lori, I suggest finding a Pedorthist and discussing this issue between the four of you (you, the Pedorthist, and your two feet).

Dennis, at Takken's in San Luis Obispo has been helpful to me.

Best of luck! BG

Lori E. on 1/19/01 at 17:46 (036881)

Thanks for your responses. I was thinking just that. There is a pedorthist who comes to a nearby shoes store and I am going to call them and see if I can see him the next time he is in.

AnnabelM on 1/19/01 at 18:54 (036888)

I would appreciate anything you come up with on shoes for supination. I switch around a lot, But nothing seems to really do the trick. Thanks