Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Podiatrist reluctant to discuss ESWT with me

Posted by Cynthia D on 1/17/01 at 13:29 (036755)

I talked to my pod today and he didn't seem that interested in hearing about the Orbasone. He said 'what's that?'. When I explained, he said 'oh, the ossatron'. I explained it is similiar, but less powerful and that it had FDA approval in Nov., he said 'oh really?' He said be careful what you read because there have been scant 'legitimate' publications regarding this procedure and its benefits are undocumented!! Is his head in the sand or something? He also told me there is no where around here to get it and I told him I was willing to travel to get it, and he said, ok, gotta go now, be wary of what you read.

I do have an appointment scheduled for Dr. Z in Feb. that I intend on keeping. I wanted to ask him if he was sure or not about a stress fracture and whether or not he thought I needed an MRI before I have the Orbasone, but didn't get a chance to. What should I do?

Re: Podiatrist reluctant to discuss ESWT with me

Kurt Kaufman, DPM on 1/17/01 at 14:42 (036759)

Sounds like you need a new Dr. Any treatment modalities that work should be considered. However you were incorrect the orbosone is not FDA approved.
But that shouldnt stop you from having the treatment. You may also want to check on the Ossatron in your area which is FDA approved and may be reimbursable by your insurance. But dont hesitate to have ESWT.

Barbara TX on 1/17/01 at 15:45 (036763)

Ditch this dude pronto. A really good physician will work to stay educated about new treatment modalities, and will be excited and receptive to advances that patients educate him about. I mean, have a little humility. I give one of my DPM's a lot of credit for asking me a lot of questions about Dr. Z (about high/low power, recovery time, and protocols). He treated me like I had a brain in my head and said simply 'go for it.' So, since your DPM knows nothing about ESWT, go to someone who does. If you are considering the Orbasone and plan to go to Dr. Z, he'll tell you exactly what tests he needs before you go. Good luck, Cindy! I say go for too. B.

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/17/01 at 17:19 (036765)

Hi,

Ruling out of a stress fracture is very helpful. Physical examination is very important and can rule out most stress fractures. The reason I like to have a mri is because you are traveling a distance and it is best to have as much informaton before you arrive. I try to avoid having to tell patients that the ESWT treatment isn't going to help them by getting as much information especially an mri before coming a distance to my office.

The orbasone as has been stated many times on this web site ( I am doing this for Dr. Kaufman benefit) is FDA cleared. The FDA is completely aware of this machine. It was filed with the FDA in 1999. The difference is that the it it filed as class one device . This means that it is for pain and the importer can't state that is used for a specifice condition.

Believe me I have used the orbasone for almost one year and it has a track record of five years in Europe,It is a was effective ESWT treatment for heel pain that this caused by tearing of the pf at the insertion of the heel .

The ossatron is also a very effective treatment and was used and is still being used in Toronto Canada. It isn't FDA approved in Canada and in my opinion if all ESWT machine were market as pain relief devices you wouldn't have to pay the $6000 or more dollars that is required.

The most important point I am making is let's talk about treatment effectiness and ESWT. The name of the machine isn't really important.

So get as much information about ESWT and listen to your commone sense.

Kurt Kaufman, DPM on 1/17/01 at 14:42 (036759)

Sounds like you need a new Dr. Any treatment modalities that work should be considered. However you were incorrect the orbosone is not FDA approved.
But that shouldnt stop you from having the treatment. You may also want to check on the Ossatron in your area which is FDA approved and may be reimbursable by your insurance. But dont hesitate to have ESWT.

Barbara TX on 1/17/01 at 15:45 (036763)

Ditch this dude pronto. A really good physician will work to stay educated about new treatment modalities, and will be excited and receptive to advances that patients educate him about. I mean, have a little humility. I give one of my DPM's a lot of credit for asking me a lot of questions about Dr. Z (about high/low power, recovery time, and protocols). He treated me like I had a brain in my head and said simply 'go for it.' So, since your DPM knows nothing about ESWT, go to someone who does. If you are considering the Orbasone and plan to go to Dr. Z, he'll tell you exactly what tests he needs before you go. Good luck, Cindy! I say go for too. B.

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/17/01 at 17:19 (036765)

Hi,

Ruling out of a stress fracture is very helpful. Physical examination is very important and can rule out most stress fractures. The reason I like to have a mri is because you are traveling a distance and it is best to have as much informaton before you arrive. I try to avoid having to tell patients that the ESWT treatment isn't going to help them by getting as much information especially an mri before coming a distance to my office.

The orbasone as has been stated many times on this web site ( I am doing this for Dr. Kaufman benefit) is FDA cleared. The FDA is completely aware of this machine. It was filed with the FDA in 1999. The difference is that the it it filed as class one device . This means that it is for pain and the importer can't state that is used for a specifice condition.

Believe me I have used the orbasone for almost one year and it has a track record of five years in Europe,It is a was effective ESWT treatment for heel pain that this caused by tearing of the pf at the insertion of the heel .

The ossatron is also a very effective treatment and was used and is still being used in Toronto Canada. It isn't FDA approved in Canada and in my opinion if all ESWT machine were market as pain relief devices you wouldn't have to pay the $6000 or more dollars that is required.

The most important point I am making is let's talk about treatment effectiness and ESWT. The name of the machine isn't really important.

So get as much information about ESWT and listen to your commone sense.