Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PF and Skiing

Posted by Matt on 1/18/01 at 14:25 (036801)

I have been suffering PF discomfort for some time now, mostly a day or so after I run or walk a lot. Does anyone know if skiing will aggrivate my PF condition? I am going this weekend and I want to know whether to do it or not. Thanks for you help,

Matt

Re: PF and Skiing

Dr. Biehler on 1/18/01 at 19:03 (036816)

A lot of skiers get othotics made just for their ski boots to protect their feet from fasciitis problems. Dr. B.

wendyn on 1/18/01 at 20:57 (036824)

Matt - my non medical opinion is to go. Put your orthotics in your boots if you have them - and let your feet tell you whether or not they appreciate it. Have fun - if we had enough !!!%@#@ snow I'd go myself!!!

Sean Tambling - C. Ped. , Master Bootfitter on 1/19/01 at 08:06 (036844)

Matt,
If you have a well made custom orthotic that is posted (all the voids under the orthotic are filled in to keep the orthotic from collapsing) then you should be about as protected as you can be. If you don't have them then I would think about it at least twice then I would go. JK. Seriouly though, when skiing we will put between 2-5 g's of load on our foot in a turn. That is 2-5 times our body weight on a foot that is supposed to carry our body and a little more. If you have PF and ski with out orthotics then you foot will flatten out and you will aggravate the PF and possibly make it worse. If after reading all this you still cann't shake the need to go ski the best snow in 100 years then by all means have a great trip. Thinks Snow!

Richard, C.Ped on 1/19/01 at 09:38 (036853)

Hi Matt,
Sean is my Brother-in-Law and business partner. He knows what he is talking about. Sean and his father, Mike, are the only master boot fitters for snow skiing in the east, south of Washington, D.C. Take care of those feet.

Again...think snow!!!
Richard, C.Ped

Dr. Biehler on 1/18/01 at 19:03 (036816)

A lot of skiers get othotics made just for their ski boots to protect their feet from fasciitis problems. Dr. B.

wendyn on 1/18/01 at 20:57 (036824)

Matt - my non medical opinion is to go. Put your orthotics in your boots if you have them - and let your feet tell you whether or not they appreciate it. Have fun - if we had enough !!!%@#@ snow I'd go myself!!!

Sean Tambling - C. Ped. , Master Bootfitter on 1/19/01 at 08:06 (036844)

Matt,
If you have a well made custom orthotic that is posted (all the voids under the orthotic are filled in to keep the orthotic from collapsing) then you should be about as protected as you can be. If you don't have them then I would think about it at least twice then I would go. JK. Seriouly though, when skiing we will put between 2-5 g's of load on our foot in a turn. That is 2-5 times our body weight on a foot that is supposed to carry our body and a little more. If you have PF and ski with out orthotics then you foot will flatten out and you will aggravate the PF and possibly make it worse. If after reading all this you still cann't shake the need to go ski the best snow in 100 years then by all means have a great trip. Thinks Snow!

Richard, C.Ped on 1/19/01 at 09:38 (036853)

Hi Matt,
Sean is my Brother-in-Law and business partner. He knows what he is talking about. Sean and his father, Mike, are the only master boot fitters for snow skiing in the east, south of Washington, D.C. Take care of those feet.

Again...think snow!!!
Richard, C.Ped