Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Anyone Familiar with Resistance Stretching?

Posted by VickiJ on 1/19/01 at 08:40 (036847)

Olympic swimmer Dara Torres was on tv this morning with a guy ....Bob Cooley, I think...who trains people in the 'Meridian Stretching' method. There is a web site, but no photos of the techniques...further searching brought up a Dr. Lamb in Ontario who is selling videos for resistance stretching. I'm a believer in the benefits of stretching and my sister who is in the mental health field says this all sounds very similar to a massage/stretching therapy workshop she attended...supposedly this type of stretching is being used for holistic (literally meaning: 'whole') healing.

Has anyone here tried it? If so, how/where can you learn it? The Meridian center is in Calif....surely there must be other places teaching it.??

Re: Anyone Familiar with Resistance Stretching?

Beverly on 1/24/01 at 23:25 (037297)

I have no idea if we are talking about the same thing, but my PT put me on a series of light resistance stretching with therabands towards the end of my PT series. The moves are somewhat like the PFT. I use the yellow color - easiest one. It is suppose to move me into strengthening. I hurt myself enough doing unsupervised stretching that for me, I like having a PT evaluate it before I embark on something new. It definitely takes more work than a plain old towel/belt stretch.
Best of luck,
Beverly

Ellen Watson on 1/25/01 at 09:22 (037318)

Hi Beveryly,

I've been doing the stretches you describe religously every am for the last 6 months and they've really helped, and have definitely strengthened my ankle. I can now put my entire weight on my left ankle, something I hadn't been able to do since being hit by a car and fracturing it. I use the green band; have been thinking of moving up to either the PFT or Acu-Flex. Has anyone on this board tried both? Does anyone know how they compare?

Ellen

VickiJ on 1/27/01 at 08:27 (037510)

Thanks for responding, but no, the stretches you are talking about are different from what I saw demonstrated on tv....the 'resistance stretching' shown by Dara and her trainer are very similar to yoga type work...at least that's the best description I can give.

Beverly on 1/24/01 at 23:25 (037297)

I have no idea if we are talking about the same thing, but my PT put me on a series of light resistance stretching with therabands towards the end of my PT series. The moves are somewhat like the PFT. I use the yellow color - easiest one. It is suppose to move me into strengthening. I hurt myself enough doing unsupervised stretching that for me, I like having a PT evaluate it before I embark on something new. It definitely takes more work than a plain old towel/belt stretch.
Best of luck,
Beverly

Ellen Watson on 1/25/01 at 09:22 (037318)

Hi Beveryly,

I've been doing the stretches you describe religously every am for the last 6 months and they've really helped, and have definitely strengthened my ankle. I can now put my entire weight on my left ankle, something I hadn't been able to do since being hit by a car and fracturing it. I use the green band; have been thinking of moving up to either the PFT or Acu-Flex. Has anyone on this board tried both? Does anyone know how they compare?

Ellen

VickiJ on 1/27/01 at 08:27 (037510)

Thanks for responding, but no, the stretches you are talking about are different from what I saw demonstrated on tv....the 'resistance stretching' shown by Dara and her trainer are very similar to yoga type work...at least that's the best description I can give.